So, does anyone else really dislike the LotR movies?

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
Ascension

I'm not really that big a fan of the films for the exact opposite reasons.

While I understand from a marketing standpoint that it was necessary, I think they cut out/changed too much from the books. They tried to tell too much story in too little time. They totally butchered Faramir's character. They cut out the amusingly enigmatic Tom Bombadil. They (in my opinion) fumbled the portrayal of the Lothlorien elves.

Of course, my number one problem with the movies is the same problem I have with any movie based on a book... the lasting images. When I go back and read the books now, the first thing I see when I read about Aragorn is Viggo Mortensen. Peter Jackson has burned his own interpretation of the books into the minds of everyone who has seen the films. Now if I want to appreciate the books for what they are, if I want to visualize people and places the way I once did, to interpret Tolkien's descriptions through the lens of my own imagination, I have to fight past images from the movies first. They have affected the way I perceive the books, probably permanently, definitely negatively. And I can't un-see them. I can never un-see them.

So basically, if the movies had just conformed perfectly with my own personal interpretation of the books, I would've loved them. That's pretty much how I feel about all book-movies. Selfish, no? I should become a director so I can force MY own visions onto other people! Muahahahahaahaahahahaha!!!
Don't call it a comeback...
...in fact, it's best if you forget I was ever here before.
ShadowCell

Ascension wrote:So basically, if the movies had just conformed perfectly with my own personal interpretation of the books, I would've loved them. That's pretty much how I feel about all book-movies. Selfish, no? I should become a director so I can force MY own visions onto other people! Muahahahahaahaahahahaha!!!
And then we'll all hate you for it and become directors ourselves so we can force our visions back on you.

This must be why Tom Cruise still finds employment.