EXOSKELETON!

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
Ryujin

EXOSKELETON!

I'm surprised this hasn't been posted here yet:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=109_1195663753

We're coming along pretty nicely now...
Nightwing03

WOAH!!1!11one!!
That thing could easily make me look tank...i only watched the vid abit and it was so cool! But could those actually be used on soldiers in wars and battles?
♣♦♠♥
Renegade334

Oh, the SARCOS prototype...whoa, it's certainly changed since the last time I saw it in action. Last vid I saw only included the leg units but I didn't know they already had the arm system up and running (uh, I mean, 'up and moving' :lol:). Nice to see how much development it has experienced, especially since U.S. super soldier programs have been somewhat jeopardized as of lately after the U.S. Army decided to shelf the Land Warrior (thank to an umpteenth budget cut) and water down the Objective/Future Force Warrior...in order to field a working system ASAP now that there is a worrisome gap in the R&D line.

I wonder how much armor this thing can carry as the final product seems terribly bulky. Hopefully they'll manage to reduce volume while keeping the engines and batteries just as performant. It should nevertheless be noted that, for now, the exoskeleton feels more like an endurance-booster than something to maximize combat abilities in CQB or anything.

Still, we're far from what you'd see in the Crysis PC game (as a matter of fact, the in-game nano-exoskeleton was modeled on the original Future Force Warrior...before Pentagon and Congress asses decided to stunt the entire R&D process). :lol:
-- Light travels faster than sound: this is the scientific explanation as to why people appear brilliant...that is, until you hear what they have to say.
~SEED~

looks like the suit the hero wore in outwars! :D
I look back at old posts and sigh as I see how freakin immature i was...
Bord

Cool piece of equipment... :) Though still a far cry from mobile suits, we're definitely on the right track.
Gadget

"Iron man needs a battalion of people for backup and operations."

Ultimate Nick Fury.

I cannot see how such machines could survive LRRP (Long Range Recce and Petrol), jungle warfare and infiltration work. It's more for shock assult and attack.
Jak Stoller

Gadget wrote: I cannot see how such machines could survive LRRP (Long Range Recce and Petrol), jungle warfare and infiltration work. It's more for shock assult and attack.
This machine wouldn't even survive that. This is a support unit, a grunt support and assist; in other words a bomb loader, a forklift and a front end loader. It'll be about 50 years before they'll dare to put that on the battlefield.

--Jak
Kavik Ryx

It's much like the Ball mobile pod. Not quite combat efficient or ready, is is capable and can do dirty work with ease. Though they did also speak or more armored ones, though did not get into full detail. Perhaps those ones would be more like combat power armors.
Jynx

I see an armored version of this very useful for small unit assaults in urban environments.

Imagine having the power of a light armored vehicle barely larger than the average man available to you in a building. Hopefully proofed against small arms fire with enhanced anti-armor resistance, a suit like that could mount platoon level heavy weapons and provide close support normally given by larger vehicles or immobile weapons platforms.

Give it a modified 20mm Oerlikon cannon and a grenade launcher or light mortar.
Kavik Ryx

Like a police unit, a scaled down version of a Labor so to speak, or in this case Patlabor.
Phantomexe87

Still its fairly impressive, the technology has to start somewhere. The good thing about this is, it has military application, but also a lot of indsutrial application.
Lans

IMO: The function of that exoskeleton is to provide more strength. Thus more strength to carry body armor.

Today warfare soldier is very vulnerable since they can't bring enough body armor than it is needed. US troops try to slip some 4mm steel plate in the torso armor and some DEA drug enforcement use some other material, mostly steel and ceramic to support their standard body armors. The problem is those armors weight a lot, you won't get far wearing a pair of steel plate (front and back) before getting exhausted and the protection they offer is only to the torso while neck, arms, hips are not protected.

So, imagine a full armored of this exo-skeleton unit. The SWAT or DEA can jump into any gunfight and take the beating. The bomb squad can use the strength to carry another layer of protective armor (Bwahahaha... now they'll look like polar bear).

It's been a century since there wasn't any body armor than can protect it's wearer from rifle bullets. The old AK-47's 7,62 can pretty much pawn everyone wearing full combat protective armor. Hence the most crucial part from this exo-skeleton unit is probably to increase survival rate to it's operator.
Gadget

So...John Rambo's armour was .....his body sweat :?: His top is clad in 7.62 linked rounds for the MG. Look good in Hollywood, but a stupid move in real life.

The best form of protection for a soilder is not armour, but not to get shot at. So this involve cover (Not concealment) and mobility. Body armour is good for some warfare, but not in every one. I would like to get extra armour in FIBUA (Fighting In Built Up Area). But I would think twice in recon missions. (BTY, you only 'see' in recon, you don't fight.)In jungle warfare, I have problems trying to see how an exo-suit move with stealth between the trees and bushes. And I'm not sure how would it last in a 48 hours petrol in force, and preventing rust.

Anyway, I've just watch a re-run of Black Hawk Down. I actually could see the rangers using such exo-suit and fight. The rangers and deltas could carry heavier weapons and ammo, faster (hopefully) and wear thicker armour. The operation lasted 16 (?) hours. I think a spare battery could be enough.

The exo-suit is not a dud. But it's still too primitive for wide militery applications. It's still a long time before we could see the power suits for the Mobile Infantry (MI) in Starship Troopers.
yukikaze

*cough* MJOLNIR *cough*
Still waiting on that MG V2 Bandai...
fuzzychief

yukikaze wrote:*cough* MJOLNIR *cough*
My thoughts exactly, especially near the end where they showed what it could possibly look like with armor.
Lans

If I could choose, I would prefer a light armored version of this suit and not the bulky one.

While the idea of heavy armored exo-skeleton that carries a lot of armor and wield big guns is fun, but you won't be able to move quickly and dodge. I think personally that a fully covered body armor ( from head to toe) that at least able to save you from most firearms bullets' velocity at more than 10 meters distance is enough.

That way, it would looks like Star Wars' Storm Trooper or Clone Trooper. It offers overall body coverage from bullets, anti-personnel-mine's deadly sharpnell, and still able to do a quick reaction to dodge or to hide. Oh well, I assume that urban warfere is the case. I don't see how to deploy those into jungle or swamp.
Ascension

lans* wrote:If I could choose, I would prefer a light armored version of this suit and not the bulky one.

While the idea of heavy armored exo-skeleton that carries a lot of armor and wield big guns is fun, but you won't be able to move quickly and dodge.
Unless we start having actual newtypes pop up, no one can dodge a bullet anyway. You either stay out of the line of fire or you wear enough armor to stop it. I'd rather go with the heavy armor. Mobility doesn't matter if nothing short of a tank can hurt you.
Don't call it a comeback...
...in fact, it's best if you forget I was ever here before.
Gadget

Ascension wrote: Unless we start having actual newtypes pop up, no one can dodge a bullet anyway. You either stay out of the line of fire or you wear enough armor to stop it. I'd rather go with the heavy armor. Mobility doesn't matter if nothing short of a tank can hurt you.
You don't dodge a bullet. Your speed means you make yourself a harder target. You give your enemy less time to aim. And you make 'lead' the target more difficult.

But I do acknowledge that random factors, or act of God, means that you still could hit by a stray bullet or lucky shot.
Gadget

Ascension wrote: Unless we start having actual newtypes pop up, no one can dodge a bullet anyway. You either stay out of the line of fire or you wear enough armor to stop it. I'd rather go with the heavy armor. Mobility doesn't matter if nothing short of a tank can hurt you.
You don't dodge a bullet. Your speed means you make yourself a harder target. You give your enemy less time to aim. And you make 'lead' the target more difficult.

But I do acknowledge that random factors, or act of God, means that you still could hit by a stray bullet or lucky shot.
G.Squirrel

I'd rather go with the heavy armor. Mobility doesn't matter if nothing short of a tank can hurt you.
I don't know, having any sort of armor on the battlefield as extensive as the one mentioned in the OP would really be a liability in my eyes. It justifies the use of shoulder use rockets against infantry for one thing, and if the armored suit is hit when it is amongst regular infantry with a rocket then you've got an impromptu very volitile multi-million dollar battery acid and shrapnel spraying bomb on your hands.