iPod Sets Man's Pants On Fire

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
Nimrod

iPod Sets Man's Pants On Fire

Yup, it's not a joke..apparently.
ATLANTA -- The new iPod Nano is hot. But one Douglasville man said his old Nano got even hotter -- hot enough to burst into flames.

"So I look down and I see flames coming up to my chest," said Danny Williams.

Williams said the burn hole from the pocket of his pants marks the spot of his 15 seconds of flame. He said he had an iPod Nano and an glossy piece of paper in his pocket. He believes the paper shielded him from being burned.

"I'm still kind of freaked out that after only a year and a half my iPod caught fire in my pocket," said Williams.
You can read the full story here: http://www.wsbtv.com/news/14271878/detail.html

All i can say is that I was told the nanos were hot but that's just crazy. :P

Plus you know this is going to end up on mythbusters... ;)
Wingnut

The iPod uses a lithium ion battery -- the same type of battery under recall for setting laptops on fire.
Well there's your problem.
Plus you know this is going to end up on mythbusters...
I await that day with interest.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Nightwing03

Williams said the fact is iPod Nano burst into flames while he was at work was bad enough, where he works could have been another issue. He works at a kiosk in Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport.
I dont understand this paragraph...so it's saying that the iPod burst into flames where he works...then it's saying that could of been a different issue...Anyone care to explain?

Well anyway, this man is very very very lucky that he didnt get ny major burns. So basically everything turned out fine apart from the iPod...and Apple saying it's a common thing to happen... :shock:
♣♦♠♥
ORegan

Nightwing03 wrote:
I dont understand this paragraph...so it's saying that the iPod burst into flames where he works...then it's saying that could of been a different issue...Anyone care to explain?
Think about it for a minute. He works at an airport. Something exploded in his pants. No not that you pervert, something actually exploded in his pants. Explosion+Airport= Possible Terrorism. Obviously it wasn't terrorism, unless apple is trying to make everyone explode, but you know where I'm getting at.

But don't cellphones or at least some models also use a lithium ion battery? OMG! We're all using time bombs to talk to our grandmas!
mcred23 wrote: Well... it's official: O'Regan is the next Hitler.
WhiteWingDemon wrote: Not to start anything, seeing as that is O'Regan's job...
ShadowCell wrote: O'Regan, quit hitting on other users.
Orrick Alexander wrote: Did anyone know that O'Regan is the reason there's no air in space?
CHASER

ORegan wrote:But don't cellphones or at least some models also use a lithium ion battery? OMG! We're all using time bombs to talk to our grandmas!
Yes, well, there was a recent large recall on a line of cellphone batteries. Both my parents' ones were among those, and still no replacement has arrived >.<

Bursting into flames in an airport is never good, but it could be worse.
HellCat wrote:
ShadowCell wrote:I'm skipping this one if it's in suppository form, though. Like, I like Gundam, but not that friggin' much.
They decided against that because most Gundam fans already have something up their butt.
Nightwing03

CHASER wrote:Bursting into flames in an airport is never good, but it could be worse.
A worse situation is bursting ON a plane.
♣♦♠♥
ZeonfromHell

Yes, a pastic firecracker goes off in a man's pocket on a pressurized aircraft. Or perhaps the fire spreading out rapidly and taking all the oxygen. That would kill everybody.

Well, I never had any intention of buying an iPod. Now I have even more reason not to get one.
Patriotism is not a magnetic ribbon.
Draco Starcloud

My iPod was free.

It has never set my pants on fire.

Is there a connection or is mine just more awesome? :P
Chris wrote:IMMA CHARGIN MAH MAHQ @_@
Draco's Lair - Latest Update: 1/9/10
Nightwing03

Draco Starcloud wrote:My iPod was free.

It has never set my pants on fire.

Is there a connection or is mine just more awesome? :P
:o My iPod was also free, and it's also hasnt set my pants on fire wither xD, but mine's awesomnest!
♣♦♠♥
Destroy Gundam

I'm pretty sure this isn't what Apple had in mind when they wanted to make a "hot" product.
REGENE: (Grins) Any last words, Buuuuur-ing?
(Bring just grits his teeth and the Garazzo’s escape pod breaks off from its main body, flying straight up.)
REGENE: (Shakes head) Right then. Forgot we don’t talk on Planet You.
The Big Zabowski

*flash back to Keith Moon's drumset blowing up*

That's as close to a rimshot as you're gonna get, bub.

Still, moving into a larger picture; they're now trying to put Lithium Ion batteries in many other products, and IIRC the Chevrolet Volt has them as it's major power source.

<_< This is gonna be good...

*Volt spontaneously goes all flamy like..*

"DUDE IT'S TERRORISTS!!"

"Nah, that was just Steve's car catching fire again. It's gonna be his 15th car now.."
TRANS AM!
Yes, it's a V8.
Yes, it was a Trans Am before there was "TRANS AM."
Yes, it's mine. 8)
Gadget

Didn't some jogger get hit by lighting because he was listetning to an ipod? I remember he got burn marks from the wires of his earphones. What happen if the iPhone burst into flames, or the bluetooth :?:
Draco Starcloud

Gadget wrote:What happen if the iPhone burst into flames...
Then AT&T will charge you a $20 per minute burning fee!
Chris wrote:IMMA CHARGIN MAH MAHQ @_@
Draco's Lair - Latest Update: 1/9/10
Nightwing03

Gadget wrote:Didn't some jogger get hit by lighting because he was listetning to an ipod? I remember he got burn marks from the wires of his earphones. What happen if the iPhone burst into flames, or the bluetooth :?:
Yes...i saw that on 1 million to 1, but the guy was actually mowing his lawn while listening to his ipod.
♣♦♠♥
wing zero alpha

I had to actually buy my iPod Nano, been using it for a year or so now, and so far it has yet to light up like a Camel even though I constantly use it. I guess this guy got one of the crappy ones.
razgriz

believe it or not i found my 8gb nano lying on the sidewalk so yeah i got mines for free too well add the cost of headphones (thank you whoever lost it :twisted: ) other than going through a number of crappy headphones mines has been relatively problem free, even taken a couple of mean drops and still going with nothing so much as an overheat. my laptop on the other hand :? i dunno dell mighta sold me one of their ex-russian nuclear models or something :wink:
setsuna: I AM A GUNDAM!!!
graham: I AM A FLAG!!!
(setsuna giggling)
graham: NO!! i said FLLLAG!