Geneon USA to Cancel DVD Sales, Distribution by Friday

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
Hyakushiki

Geneon USA to Cancel DVD Sales, Distribution by Friday

It's not a good sign when one of the major players in the industry makes an announcement like this. I wonder how this will affect other distributors.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... -by-friday
Don't send a coordinator to do a newtype's job!
Ascension

I suppose a company-wide clearance sale is too much to hope for...

Are there any series whose distribution they're currently in the middle of? It would absolutely stink if you got halfway through a series and then the company distributing it went under... though I guess their series will probably be picked up by other distributors... at least some of them...
Don't call it a comeback...
...in fact, it's best if you forget I was ever here before.
ZeonfromHell

Does this mean all the anime they distributed have to be bought out of country then?

I hope this doesn't start a trend leading to the "falling out" of anime in America.
Patriotism is not a magnetic ribbon.
Hyakushiki

I'm more concerned with the older stuff on their back catalog going out-of-print, I want to get stuff like Tenchi and Lain before that happens. I think it may start a trend of fans "falling out" with distributors that insist that fans pay more for less, or the fans who rather download fansubs than man up and support the industry.
Don't send a coordinator to do a newtype's job!
Charismatic Enigma

I don't really understand what this means. Are they going out of business or something?
"Aaahh!"-The last words of many a mobile suit pilot.
Imperial

Charismatic Enigma wrote:I don't really understand what this means. Are they going out of business or something?
Pretty much

Come Saturday, Geneon USA will be deader than disco.
This space for rent
Mark064

You are better off reading the Anime on DVD article.
Though the finality of things is still up in the air, Geneon Entertainment has sent out information to retailers regarding their 4th quarter plans. According to the information, Geneon will be shipping all releases they have in the queue for street dates through 11/05/2007. All orders placed after this coming Friday is non-returnable. As of 12/31/2007, they will be shutting down, apparently completely as AnimeNation is listing everything past 11/11/2007 as canceled. Plans for beyond 12/31/2007 are still up in the air but what little is being said indicates that they're intending to focus on their own properties in a similar way to Kadokawa Pictures USA is doing things.
Genon is dead. Buy what you want quickly while you still have a chance. Chances of revival are unknown.
Charismatic Enigma

Yikes, I fear for the future. What about ADV Films?
Tafumi

So odd. Pioneer/Geneon held a lot of the licenses for a lot of very popular anime in the US.

As for ADV, they've got their foot so far in the anime industry door with their titles (and have been around so long) that the likelyhood of them just up and vanishing is unlikely. Even moreso, if Geneon releases the licenses for the series they put on DVD, one could speculate that ADV would buy up a few of them.

Kind of like a legal feeding frenzy. ADV, Manga, Funimation, etc would take to them like sharks to steak.

Of course, I got no clue how all that stuff works. But I don't see why Geneon would hold on to the licenses if they will no longer be making any cash off it and can make cash by selling it off or something.
Charismatic Enigma

Yeah, I wondered about certain titles myself, like Black Lagoon Second Barriage. But what about older titles, will they just be allowed to sell out or what?