Question about nitrogen

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
Oruma

Question about nitrogen

Hello everyone, I have a small question regarding the chemical properties of the element nitrogen here. I'm wondering if anyone can help me out.

Good old nitrogen composed of 80% of our planet's atmosphere, is vital for plants and basically all life on Earth, and that its liquid form is very cold and can give you frost bites----extreme ones.

So...what about pure nitrogen in solid form? Does such a thing as "Solid Nitrogen" exist? If so, where can I learn about its properties (i.e. sites)? If not, what would your educated theories on it be?

Thanks all! :D
"So...what does the Uncertainty Principle really mean?"
"Sorry, I'm not sure."
Gespenst Alteisen

isnt solid nitrogen called 'Dry ice"?....or am i talking about something else (perhaps another element)
Gadget

Gespenst Alteisen wrote:isnt solid nitrogen called 'Dry ice"?....or am i talking about something else (perhaps another element)
That's Carbon dioxide. As for solid N2, this is from Wiki.

At atmospheric pressure molecular nitrogen condenses (liquifies) at 77 K (−195.8 °C) and freezes at 63 K (−210.0 °C) into the beta hexagonal close-packed crystal allotropic form. Below 35.4 K (−237.6 °C) nitrogen assumes the alpha cubic crystal allotropic form. Liquid nitrogen, a fluid resembling water, but with 80.8% of the density, is a common cryogen.

And as for looking for sites, try Google or Yahoo search.

Hope that's helpful.