Did anyone watch UFC 76 Knockout? *spoilers*

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
ParaParaJMo

Did anyone watch UFC 76 Knockout? *spoilers*

Thiago vs Tyson

Thigao was pushing the action and had the take downs and the positions and the submission attempts. Tyson had the ground and pound. The first round was just like Big Nog's fights with Fedor where he had an open guard and bam comes in the bombs. 2nd and 3rd round Thiago had the positions and the submission attempts. I thought they were both very close but the non-definitive scoring system just favored Tyson way too much IMO. If this were under Pride rules, I thought Thiago would have been given the decision.

Nakamura vs Machida

Machida was just dominating Nakamura. Nakamura took some nasty shots but he took them like a man. He's proven himself against tough strikers and Machida was no different. Nakamura showed a descent ground game but wasn't enough to beat Machida who showed his stuff. Machida has never finished his opponents in the UFC, but you can't blame him for beating some descentley touch guys. Sam Hoger with the exemption of his non-counted loss to Griffin on TUF has never been stopped himself either.

I think Machida is ready for Griffin, a rematch with Bonnar, or probably he can fight Bisping or Evans. I say fight Bisping but not in England. Somebody's 0 has got to go. Machida now needs a bigger name opponent. He's already beaten two UFC title holders. He deserves more.

Sanchez vs Fitch

I say the same thing about this fight. I'm glad Diego showed class. I guess under these circumstances, I have to accept Diego's loss too. I personally gave the fight to Diego. Everybody here knows I tend to favor Pride's shows, fighters, and judging system much much much more. I say Diego under pride conditions would have gotten the decision. The same reasons why Thiago should have gotten the decision. He had the better submissions and was closer to finishing the fight in the 3rd round with the guilliotine and the triangle. Fitch was just blanketing him and his punches in that round was doing no damage.

Round 2 I give to Fitch with his ground and pound. Personally, I thought the referee should have stood them up to a certain point which I was pissed off about in that fight. But I can see under the broken 10 point must system why Fitch would have won. I still think it's a lame way to judge fights. Especially when it really favors the take down artist more. It really gives no favoritism to submissions and all that stuff. And 10 minute rounds really help the submissions fighter as well.

Griffin vs Shogun

I'll accept Shogun lost unless there was a freak accident like BJ Penn vs Hughes II where he somehow injured his ribs but like I said earlier, it was the take downs that really hurt him. At least Serra learned that from the Hughes vs GSP II fight. I say Shogun should have just gone for the Muay Thai clinch for the start and do what he does best with the knees. I think Shogun could have eventually won with the stand up if he kept it there. Shogun was ranked 1st at 205 and he was beaten by Griffin, a huge underdog. I was impressed with Griffin. He finished Shogun with a rear naked choke and dominated him. I say he could fight Jackson next.

Jardine vs Liddell

I gave this 30-27 Jardine. Jardine mixed in the strategy with how Jackson beat Liddell the first time but rushing in and landing punches and bunches with his leg kicks and body kicks to get the decision. For the most part, Jardine did an excellent job but being a bit more defensive and keeping his chin tucked though he did let loose in round 2. Jardine really learned from his loss with Alexander and maybe this sets up a rematch with him or he could fight another big name contender. Liddell should have kept him cornered and just do the strategies he did on Tito. I think both fighters had what it took to finish but they did their best and put on a great show.

And for an event called Knock out, all of the (televised) events didn't end in a knock out =(

I say Griffin's and Jardine's victories put TUF fighters a good place. I never really criticized TUF guys that much since I think winners would have ended up as top contenders in the UFC with or without the show.

I'll accept that Diego lost like I said, it's just the judging I have a problem with. I'm glad Joe Rogan addressed the issue of scoring in American MMA rules. It was semi-ballsy of him to do so. Josh Barnett has been a HEAVY critic of it. NSAC rules won't allow yellow card system because of how it fines people, but Barnett is right. It allows more exciting fights. Also, it doesn't favor the wrestler or take down guy way too much. Is that why Shogun was going for way too many take downs? I think Diego has great cardio to do all that stuff he did, but I think he could have won standing. He showed his stand up against somebody like Riggs, why couldn't he do the same with Fitch?

It was a sad day for a Pride fan like me to see Shogun lose. Then Liddell also lost. I wonder if the 205 division has a definite no. 1 contender right now. I say Wandy could fight Jackson next. I did always expect Jackson to beat Shogun in a potential rematch, but Griffin beating Shogun? That was crazy!!! Whoever betted on Jardine and Shogun must have won a ton of money.
To see my anime reviews, please go to
http://www.youtube.com/user/paraparajmo