Puerto Rico's Arecibo Observatory in trouble..

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
The Big Zabowski

Puerto Rico's Arecibo Observatory in trouble..

Uh-oh..

I find it kinda sad, because this was the telescope that was at the forefront of SETI back in the 70s and 80s when it was still funded by Congress. That, and it was a really cool setting for the end of Goldeneye. Still, I'm surprised that they still use some of the original control panels and equipment in that place, even though it's over 40 years old.
TRANS AM!
Yes, it's a V8.
Yes, it was a Trans Am before there was "TRANS AM."
Yes, it's mine. 8)
MrMarch

This is sad news. I'd like to know the whole story on it, but it sounds like it may just be a case of shifting priorities rather than a major funding cut that really signals something is wrong. I wonder what will actually become of the facility itself should it close. Will it be dismantled? Perhaps it will be partially taken down over a number of years, but a large part of it may remain standing.
VentZX

It seems the article you posted is down. Could you summarize what it was about?

Being from Puerto Rico, this kinda has a big impact on me. A few years ago I went visited some family over there and we went to Arecibo to see the Radio Telescope. One of the greatest days of my life. The thing is truly massive; a site to behold. One of the reasons I love Gundam so much is because of the space settings. I love space, so naturally this sort of thing fascinated me. I wouldn't want something to happen to it.

Quick Fact: The Arecibo Telescope was instrumental in providing hard evidence that Neutron Stars exist.