The Simpsons Movie

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
Phantomexe87

The Simpsons Movie

It's a bit late, but I just saw this movie again (third time). Anyone else seen it, amazed no one has made a topic for it yet. In my opinion any scene with "Plopper" aka Spiderpig and Homer were instant classics.

Spiderpig, Spiderpig,
Does whatever a spiderpig does.
Can he swing, from a web?
No he cant, he's a pig.
Look out, he is a spiderpig!
ParaParaJMo

Quite frankly, I thought this movie was horrible.

Everything this movie has with a few notable exemptions has already been done in the TV series: The family abandoning Homer, Springfield on the brink of extinction, Bart wanting a different father figure, Lisa finding a boyfriend, it's all just been done.

It offers NOTHING ground breaking or original the South Park and Beavis and Butt-head movies did.

Heck, Simpsons in general has sucked since 2000 when they switched the central character from Bart to Homer. Or maybe it had something to do with Conan O'Brien no longer being the writer.

Heres the problem i think with the simpsons. they have totally changed the characters from what they originally were. homer was stupid and a pig who ate anything (even scented bath soaps). now he is supposed to be some cool party animal and we are supposed to be like "go homer, you rock". he isn't so much stupid as he is just immature and when the father of a family is like that it just doens't work. the writers need to resort to extreme physical comedy to try to get laughs. homer no longer falls down the stairs, he gets shot in the head with flaming arrows or nailed to the wall with a nail gun. And i guess the writers think that pairing homer with lisa and bart with marge will result in more interesting stories. there must be some explaination as to why that is.

Marge has been dumbed down to a point where she basically has nothing to do. she was homer's foil and would put a stop to the crazy antics and would lead protests against the rest of the town when she saw something going wrong, Ie. the monorail. Also they seem to be just forgetting to draw maggie because there are so many scenes where she is just inexplicably not there.

Bart was a brat. not a juvenille diliquent always getting dragged to court. he got detention not probation. This is why we had principal skinner. he was part of bart's supporting cast. Now he is wants homer to help him win back mrs. Krabapple? WTF! Bart was bad in school but he wasn't totally stupid like they make him now. he is pretty much relegated to being homer's little sidekick on whatever stupid plot device they have going that week on the show.

Lisa has become so full of wisdom and knowledge that she can pretty much do anything. she has been given marge's role as homer's foil and now leads all of the protests which as i stated above gives marge nothing to do. Lisa was good in school and got excellent grades but she was still 8 and wasn't full of wisdom and advice that she has become some extreme left wing prodigy.
To see my anime reviews, please go to
http://www.youtube.com/user/paraparajmo
Phantomexe87

I don't think that's really fair though, as the Simpsons has been running so long, they really can't do too many new things. As opposed to the South Park movie, who only had a few seasons (two I think) under its belt, as oppossed to what? 18?
wing zero alpha

Whoa whoa, Beavis and Butthead Do America ground breaking? And really, I think you're expecting way too much of the Simpsons (then again your dislike of the character switch from Bart to Homer says alot), because as Phantom said it's been around for quite a while and has pretty much done as much as can be done. Like with Star Trek and Star Wars, you can only go so far before it becomes a routine, so that said I think Simpson Movie accomplished what it was trying to do (make a grand comedy with everyone's favorite dysfunctional town) and no more than that.
ParaParaJMo

I don't think that's really fair though, as the Simpsons has been running so long, they really can't do too many new things. As opposed to the South Park movie, who only had a few seasons (two I think) under its belt, as oppossed to what? 18?
My idea of a Simpsons movie is where Bart and Sideshow Bob have a final show down and the creators permanently kill Sideshow Bob. Or Bart does something really drastic like unintentionally blows up the school when he meant to do very little damage and he manages to rebuild the school somehow as he slowly earns the trust of his family, friends, and teachers back.

I thought the movie could have been more drastic than a certain scene where it's only an extension of Homer's stupidity that is ruining what I loved about the Simpsons.

Hell, why not make a movie with the Bartman super hero persona for a bit?
Whoa whoa, Beavis and Butthead Do America ground breaking?
I take your point that I am extending what I think of the Beavis and Butt-Head movie, but it did help Beavis and Butt-head have build more of an appeal to the mainstream and went outside of what the show normally did like they finally see what is outside of their town and accidently meet their fathers. I watch it once a month and still find it funny. The only time I ever found how stupid comedy worked was just this show because of the simplicity of it.
And really, I think you're expecting way too much of the Simpsons (then again your dislike of the character switch from Bart to Homer says alot)
To me, Bart is the reason why The Simpsons exist. Why it got popular. He was the mascot. He brought controversy and curiosity. He's like Matt Greoning's interpretation to a modern day Huck Finn in a way. Many kids when I was in school was not allowed to watch the Simpsons because of him. With Bart as the main character, it provided good moral lessons in a reverse psychology sense. I understood what Bart did was bad, but you see tha the had his fun, gets caught, and gets punished. He's a character kids could relate to. I can still relate to Bart at age 23.

I was still hoping with Bart's touch, I could still hope for something in this movie, but I guess you are right that I expected too much out of it.
so that said I think Simpson Movie accomplished what it was trying to do (make a grand comedy with everyone's favorite dysfunctional town) and no more than that.
If that was the purpose, then I can watch ANY episode of the series. Then again, it wasn't really about the town, but Homer once again like how many of the episodes nowadays are.
SNT1

My idea of a Simpsons movie is where Bart and Sideshow Bob have a final show down and the creators permanently kill Sideshow Bob. Or Bart does something really drastic like unintentionally blows up the school when he meant to do very little damage and he manages to rebuild the school somehow as he slowly earns the trust of his family, friends, and teachers back.

I thought the movie could have been more drastic than a certain scene where it's only an extension of Homer's stupidity that is ruining what I loved about the Simpsons.

Hell, why not make a movie with the Bartman super hero persona for a bit?
To me, Bart is the reason why The Simpsons exist. Why it got popular. He was the mascot. He brought controversy and curiosity. He's like Matt Greoning's interpretation to a modern day Huck Finn in a way.
That's your opinion, that's fine. I find Homer's stupidity to be the funniest, and I find Bart somewhat annoying actually.
If that was the purpose, then I can watch ANY episode of the series. Then again, it wasn't really about the town, but Homer once again like how many of the episodes nowadays are.
Homer DID say in the beginning of the movie that the people who actually paid and watched the movie are suckers :P
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/
mcred23

I've been watching The Simpsons since long before I could actually understand the show (It's older than me) and I've always loved it. Only in the last season has it's quailty dipped somewhat IMO (Although I don't think it's unwatchable, as oh-so-vocal people make it out to be), but they more than made up for it in the movie.

Going into it, I wasn't quite sure what I'd see (Certainly nothing overly new), but it came out very good. To me, it was basically an overly extended episode, and I found nothing at all wrong with that. Sure elements of the story have been done before, but (As South Park comically put) they've done damn near everything at least once (Usually several times). My only real gripes with it is that I wish it was longer and that some of the supporting characters had larger roles or more appearances than they did, but given the sheer number of characters they have, I doubt they'd have ever covered all of them well enough. :)

So yeah, I loved it. :mrgreen:
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
Phantomexe87

One oddity I found, and made sure to look for, is that Plopper (the pig) is never seen again after the part where he saves their lives, when he pushes the plank from under the family, while the mob is aiming at them with bow and arrows, making the arrows miss. He did survive though, as he'll be in the first episode of season 19. I still found it odd that he was never seen again.
mcred23

Yeah, I noticed that as well. I expected Homer to either get the pig out somehow, or for him to follow the family, but his lack of appearance after the family escapes did strike me as slightly odd.
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
Phantomexe87

I suppose it could be intentional, and they'll point it out in the episode. I'm glad someone else noticed it though, because I thought I just missed it or something.
MrMarch

Here's my review for anyone interested.

The Simpsons (2007)
Genre: Animated Film – Comedy

I’ve largely managed to avoid the last 18 years of The Simpsons Movie popular culture saturation simply by avoiding most television. While the characters have been filtered through to me via the odd episode, many water cooler discussions and obvious references in daily life, it had been years since I watched a complete episode of the show. The film version of The Simpsons Movie is much funnier than I recall of the television series, but still not so great a success that I would become a new fan.

In a sufficiently hilarious plot, Homer accidentally pollutes the river of his town Springfield by dumping a makeshift silo filled with pig crap. In response to the massive ecological damage Homer causes, the Environmental Protection Agency seals the entire town under a massive, transparent dome. When Homer’s mistake becomes public, his wife Marge, son Bart, and daughters Maggie and Lisa must all flee Springfield to escape the angry mob. As the situation in Springfield worsens, Homer must face his shortcomings, bring his dysfunctional family together and rescue his hometown.

The Simpsons Movie is larger and better animated than the television series, but retains all the many characteristics of the small screen version. The film features a memorable opening sequence, plenty of quirky characters from the show and much of the fast paced wit. The plot of the film, patently ludicrous in concept, succeeds as both visually stimulating in animated form and cleverly delivered with jokes that hit home again and again. There is as much intelligent comedy as there is baser jokes and some really biting jabs at everything from politics to popular culture itself offer a lot to smile at. The voice acting is amusing and faithful and many jokes appear in the movie that became standards in common usage thanks to the television show. As a comedy film, you’d be hard pressed to find many other movies in the genre that could match The Simpsons Movie.

The one common complaint I hear about The Simpsons Movie is it just wasn’t funny enough and as a non-fan I found this true in my case. The film is an enjoyable work of popular culture comedy and even social satire, but is not as great as the quality I would expect from such a universally popular television show. I would suspect the film makes for a top tier episode from the show or a worthy television movie, but I couldn’t help feeling a little disappointed for such a high profile film. Disappointment is no stranger in today’s world of overblown media hype, but The Simpsons Movie is still judged by what ever measure of quality the viewer has. In my case, I found the film enjoyable and worth watching, but its not the best comedy I’ve seen.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5. This animated film is far funnier and more entertaining than most live action comedies, but not quite the classic for which many were hoping.
ParaParaJMo

That's your opinion, that's fine. I find Homer's stupidity to be the funniest, and I find Bart somewhat annoying actually.
True, that it is my opinion that Bart was a better main character, but without his stardom in the earlier (and much better :P) seasons, the show wouldn't be where it was.

I liked Homer better as a side character who had good one liners (like "Let the bears pay the bear tax, I pay the Homer tax") and when he had the characteristics of a strict father with convictions (like sticking by that Bart would not see the Itchy and Scratchy movie). There have been good Homer centric episodes in the past. Like Mr. Plow. Or when he tried to compete with Thomas Edison. And when he fought the parody of Mike Tyson.

Then again, it's taste in humor between us.

But it all comes down to Conan O'Brien's absence as a writer made a big effect on it (as well as his absence on SNL). He's the funniest man right now.
Phantomexe87

Well, I can kind of see the transition, but to me it seemed liked it was always about the "Simpsons" in general, not any particular one. Homer just seems to get more screen-time these days, as he, is capable of doing things other characters can't. Lisa and Bart are limited by the fact that they are children, although the writers seem to forget this, often. Like Lisa sounding like a typical college student, and Bart acting like a juvenile delinquent. That, aside though, Maggie is a baby, and with some notable exceptions, usually is little more than a background character. Marge is limited to her capacity as a house-wife and responsible parent, though she does occasionally, but rarely pursue other ventures. So all that said, Homer, really is the most usable character, as he's the least tied down, and has the most freedom.
razgriz

im glad that someone started this cuz i didnt wanna create a thread for TSM feeling that i might be the only Simpsons fan here on the site. But yeah i loved this movie, 2nd fave behind TF of course. The 1st 45min had me crackin up like crazy. Homer was jus typical homer yet bart also had his moments too harkening back to the first couple seasons when he was the star. I loved the part where bart drew on the wanted poster and they ended up spotting and arresting the messed up lookin simpson clones hehe. the bonding wit flanders was a bit odd tho and i wish there was more mr. burns time but oh well with the success of this movie and the fact that matt greoning said that he doesnt plan to stop the show anytime soon there will most likely be a sequel. and i cant wait :D ahhhnuld as the president had its moments too..."i was elected to lead, not to READ!" lol simple but so funny when its shown.
setsuna: I AM A GUNDAM!!!
graham: I AM A FLAG!!!
(setsuna giggling)
graham: NO!! i said FLLLAG!
wing zero alpha

I take your point that I am extending what I think of the Beavis and Butt-Head movie, but it did help Beavis and Butt-head have build more of an appeal to the mainstream and went outside of what the show normally did like they finally see what is outside of their town and accidently meet their fathers. I watch it once a month and still find it funny. The only time I ever found how stupid comedy worked was just this show because of the simplicity of it.
Don't get me wrong, Beavis and Butthead can be funny, but I never thought the movie was anything groundbreaking or trend setting, just the transition of the TV show onto the big screen like this.

But on the topic, one thing that got me was when did the Simpsons ever live at the very edge of Springfield? Much more, I thought the Springfield was a coastal town; I remember several episodes that depicted the ocean in some way from Springfield's point, whether be it Homer going out in Mr. Burns' yacht or the episode where Krusty faked his death to become a fisherman.
Phantomexe87

Well Springfield has always been comically inconsistant about its location, size, and population. It also doesn't help that the Simpsons' house has moved several times through out the story, yet they somehow always live next to Flanders.
razgriz

well if saw the movie you will know that the 4 states that border springfield are ohio, nevada, maine, and kentucky lol hope that helps :lol:
(setsuna giggling)
wing zero alpha

razgriz wrote:well if saw the movie you will know that the 4 states that border springfield are ohio, nevada, maine, and kentucky lol hope that helps :lol:
And that somehow Springfield is able to overlook Vegas and the Kentucky Dirby.
razgriz

at one time springfield had a redwood tree that standing halfway up you can see paris france and new york city :lol:
(setsuna giggling)
wing zero alpha

And another time it had three large mountains overlooking it, one of which was on Mount Everest scale.