Photonovel?

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
Sefiros

Photonovel?

What's a photonovel?
Nimrod

taken from dictionary.com:

–noun
a novel published as a series of sequential photographs coupled with dialogue enclosed in balloons.

Hope that helps you out.
toysdream

Nimrod wrote:taken from dictionary.com:

–noun
a novel published as a series of sequential photographs coupled with dialogue enclosed in balloons.
That's not quite the format used by Japanese photonovels like Gundam Sentinel, Advance of Zeta, and Gundam Seed Astray B. These stories are published as straight-up text novels, with no word balloons, but the text is accompanied by photographs instead of hand-drawn illustrations.

If the English definition of "photonovel" involves word balloons, then it's possible we need to find another term to describe works like Gundam Sentinel. But it looks like there are English-language photonovels that use text captions rather than word balloons, like these Doctor Who photonovels on the BBC Web site, which use pretty much the same format as the Japanese ones mentioned above.

-- Mark
Nimrod

I see, I see. Learn something new everyday.

I just went with the definition that I got (as Sefiros didn't ask specifically in regards to Gundam) so I would guess you would have more info as to the specific tie in with Gundam.
Kishiria

These used to be quite popular in the 70s. I had one of "Close Encounters of the Third Kind". I have seen manga, using stills from the movies, for the three MSG films. Matter of fact, I used to have them, I think I gave them away as a gift, though.
Techno-Viking does not dance to the music; the music dances to Techno-Viking.
toysdream

Kishiria wrote:These used to be quite popular in the 70s. I had one of "Close Encounters of the Third Kind". I have seen manga, using stills from the movies, for the three MSG films.
These would be comic-style ones with word balloons, right? I gather that these are often referred to as "fumetti," which, confusingly enough, is actually the Italian word for "comics" in the generic sense. In an ideal world we'd probably call these things "photocomics" in order to distinguish them from photo-illustrated text novels like Gundam Sentinel, but I suppose in this imperfect universe it's a miracle we can communicate at all. :-)

-- Mark
Randall Miyashiro

I believe that B-Club magazine once serialized one of these manga comprised with photos that is being referred to. I really can't remember the details, and can't check on it since most of my old magazines are in a box somewhere in Mountain View.
toysdream

Randall! Hey, long time no see! :-)

A B-CLUB photonovel, eh? Nothing comes to mind right away, and aside from Gundam Sentinel most of the '80s Gundam photonovels I can think of were published in Hobby Japan. (For example, Tyrant Sword and Dragoon 13.) But it's possible I'm forgetting something...

-- Mark