The 4400

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.

Take The Shot?

Yes
25%
No
25%
I Cannot Decide
50%

Total votes: 4
Mwulf

The 4400

So a while back, there was a bit of a discussion here about science fiction shows. Which few are worth watching, and how so very, very many of them are crap.

So I'm devoting this thread to my personal favourite sci-fi show since B5. (and I DO NOT include Crusade in that): The 4400, one of a few worthwhile shows on the USA Network.

I recently learned that one of the lead writers of the 4400 is Ira Stephen Behr, the very same creepy nerd with a frightening blue goatee that helped make DS9 so very awesome. (hate, HATE the goatee, though).

Basic premise is this: 4400 individuals, all of whom "disappeared" at various points in time, suddenly appear just outside of Seattle in place of a meteor impact. So a metoer falls, but instead of an explosion and a crater we get a lot of very confused people.

They start to develop various super-powers... and things get very, very interesting from there on out. You have all kinds of things, and it's incredibly interesting. I haven't seen it, but the popular show "Heroes" is essentially the same premise--but with a bigger budget, and a helluva lot less creativity and effort.

Great story. Great. Gotta love the self-made messiah. Damn. It's awesome. I don't need to say more, I hope. Other people here HAVE to know how awesome it is.

*ahem*

The 4th season just started, and it's good to see Isabelle back (Megalyn Echikunwoke is HOT) and the newest episode airs tomorrow... awesome.

So here's the active part of this thread. A big plot element of the end of season three and the start of season four is Promicin. Promicin is a fourth (new) artificial neurotransmitter that allows human beings to access and utilize 100% of their brain. Injecting oneself with promicin allows one to "awaken" all of one's latent abilities.

Telekinesis, prescience, telepathy, lycanthropy... you name it.

Jordan Collier, creepy sleazeball-turned-messiah, has started distributing shots of Promicin to anyone who wants them, free of charge.

If you want the shot, you get it. That simple.

But there are 2 catches.

1. It's illegal.
2. 50% of all people who take Promicin DIE. They die horridly painful deaths.

If you could, would you take the shot for a chance to gain superpowers, or is your life worth more than the toss of a coin?
Another Day, Another Mishap.

Gundam Seed Fates
ASA (comic)
Heretic

I’ve seen only a handful of episodes of 4400. It’s just on at a bad time for me. But what I have seen I did kind of like. So the same with Fierfly, I’ll probably get the DVD box sets and watch it from beginning to end.

As for the super power shot thing. 50/50 odds aren’t my kind of odds. If there were less risk or I had nothing to loose, then I’d go for it. As it stands I’d rather live my mundane life then risk it all on a coin toss that I’ll get super powers instead of die.

Now here’s one thing, may I expand on your topic a little and inquire what people would do if they were to gain superpowers?
Everything I know about rock music, I learned from K-ON!!
solid snake

I don't think I would take the shot. There's no guarantee you'll survive, and even if you do there's a chance your power might not be really useful.
A strong man doesn't need to read the future, he makes his own.
Folken Fanel

The 4400's always interested me, but I've never sat down and watched it. I guess I'll be like Heretic and pick up the DVDs one day. As for the super-power shot thing, maybe if the odds were a little better. Superpowers would be nice and all, but I plan on dieing an old man in my bed.
Mobile Suit Gundam: Neo
It's common knowledge that 99.99% of users on Youtube are ZOINKING idiots.