Transformers Movie Thread Mk II

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
wing zero alpha

Aegis wrote:Still gets more respect considering how few Hot Rods and Rodimus variations we see in comparison.
Not sure on that. Aside from the Ultra Magnus in Car Robots, I don't remember there being any other variations; the "Ultra Magnus" in Transformers Armada was little more than a Super Robo merger with Prime. Then again, the only Rodimus Prime variation I can recall was in Transformers Energon where he was played Prime's rival, which wasn't all that bad.
Aegis

The variations I'm talking about are mainly in the form of repaints (such as Overload repainted into Magnus colours, as well as the repaints of Optimus Prime's cab mode. Yes, people want to see Ultra Magnus naked. ;p
swordoath

Aegis wrote:The variations I'm talking about are mainly in the form of repaints (such as Overload repainted into Magnus colours, as well as the repaints of Optimus Prime's cab mode. Yes, people want to see Ultra Magnus naked. ;p
You won't see any more Hot Rod toys. The name is doomed to obscurity because of copyright issues. There was a problem with Swoop at one point as well but I believe that one has been resolved.
Looking to trade Gundam War cards (US) -- looking for Brown especially. I have a BIG collection including URs and promos. PM me for details!
razgriz

if you ask me (and no one does :( ) hot rod's name was doomed the moment that he jumped megatron and screwed up prime's near point blank shot :evil:
setsuna: I AM A GUNDAM!!!
graham: I AM A FLAG!!!
(setsuna giggling)
graham: NO!! i said FLLLAG!
wing zero alpha

swordoath wrote:You won't see any more Hot Rod toys. The name is doomed to obscurity because of copyright issues. There was a problem with Swoop at one point as well but I believe that one has been resolved.
Seems to be a problem with all the Transformers these days. Shockwave, Vortex, Soundwave (at one point) and other Transformers that somehow lost their names to good copyrighting.
OpMegs

As of Cybertron, Shockwave has his name back. There was a minicon named that in the various Vs. Packs that they marketed during early to mid-Cybertron.
SNT1 wrote:"Doubt" shouldn't ever be mentioned when describing 00-Raiser (or its armaments)
razgriz

i honestly dont see how some of these names should be copyrighted. okay so if the us military comes out with a weapon that they want to name "shockwave" missile or something like that, then they cant cuz its copyrighted?
(setsuna giggling)
Soran

But some of the new toys do show the effect of the copyright issues. In the Classics line, Hot Rod has been renamed as Rodimus.

In any case, those who like plain old G1 would love the Classics line, being modern redesigns and re-engineered versions of the old G1 toys. Some are downright wierd (Megatron getting turned into a multi-colored super-soaker gun is mind-numbing), but some others are really kickass, like Starscream and Rodimus (Hot Rod)

The best part is that usually the Classics line can be found in toy shops in the clearance bins because not many kids these days appreciate them...
Thundermuffin

Yeah, I'd have rather had a tank mode Megatron in Gen 1 colors than the "Nerfatron" we got in Classics.

Hasbro didn't even have the name Bumblebee up until before the movie went into production. I don't think they'll ever lose that name again.

They don't have Onslaught or Bluestreak anymore either. And they came perilously close to losing MEGATRON at one point!
razgriz

losing megatron?!?! to what? the only thing i can vaguely remember coming close was in an episode of the simpsons (yes i like simpsons and transformers so what? wanna fight about it? :twisted:) where they had this self help guy selling a program of business success called megatronics, hehe that caused the geek in me to perk up a lil :D
(setsuna giggling)
Ravager

Man, copyright sure is killing all the fun nowadays! I sure hope they don't lose the name Grimlock!
The Titans Test Team: They go through more mobile suits than Jerid Messa on his best day!
Nightwing03

Soran wrote:But some of the new toys do show the effect of the copyright issues. In the Classics line, Hot Rod has been renamed as Rodimus.
Hot Rod actually changed into Rodimus Prime after optimus prime died in the animated movie.

If your talking about Transformers:Energon they just didn't use the suffix Prime instead they just left it as Rodimus
♣♦♠♥
swordoath

Nightwing03 wrote:Hot Rod actually changed into Rodimus Prime after optimus prime died in the animated movie.

If your talking about Transformers:Energon they just didn't use the suffix Prime instead they just left it as Rodimus
Actually, that's not what Soran meant. Since Hasbro lost the rights to the name "Hot Rod," the official explanation now is that the character's name is "Rodimus" before unlockign the Matrix, and that he gains the "Prime" suffix afterwards. This is reflected in the semi-new Classics toy series.

EDIT: Not sure who's seen this, but there's a preview of Transformers Animated from Comic Con here: http://enewsi.com/

The show actually looks fairly interesting now that I see it in action -- though I honestly don't like the fact that they took the "flip-up faceguard" on Prime and Bumblebee from the movie, but whatever. The Dinobots look wicked, Arcee's very reminiscent of her G1 incarnation and the rest of them seem pretty good overall. Weird how well Spongebob becomes Starscream though ...
Looking to trade Gundam War cards (US) -- looking for Brown especially. I have a BIG collection including URs and promos. PM me for details!
OpMegs

I think the show has potential, though I can wait a year and have my big ole' movie TFs back when the sequel comes around.

Also, for those interested, the Animated toys
SNT1 wrote:"Doubt" shouldn't ever be mentioned when describing 00-Raiser (or its armaments)
Thundermuffin

I am very impressed they made those designs work as toys. And the design aesthetic is nowhere as bad as lots of fans are pissing and moaning about. It's nowhere as different as the movie designs initially seemed. That said, I'm just gonna wait for the promised "Classics 2.0", and probably not buying any of the Animated toys.

Maybe Prowl, as I buy any toy named Prowl, but that's it.

Classics 2.0 Sideswipe and Sunstreaker look awesome though...
OpMegs

The initial group image made me cringe, but the toys are actually not half bad.

I still can't stand Bulkhead(the big green military truck), but that's possibly the best Grimlock we've had in a long time, and Megatron is essentially Movie Megs Animated Style. There's a bit there that I'd be willing to buy if I had the money.

I'm still wondering about the show, though. It's written by the people that did Teen Titans(which it, amusingly, resembles), but we haven't had a good TF show since Beast Machines(Beast Wars, to some people), so I'll wait until I see the show itself before I start making judgments on it.
wing zero alpha

I see they brought back Blitzwing, and Blackarachnia surprisingly has a similar design to her Beast Wars form (practically the same head).
Nagi

The fact that the show lacks Ironhide and the creators turned Prowl into a ninja motorcycle to please the Toonami Naruto crowd still irritates me to no end, but it doesn't look as bad as it initially appeared. I want to see more of their Starscream; he may just end up a show-stealer based on that clip.
Draco Starcloud

swordoath wrote:EDIT: Not sure who's seen this, but there's a preview of Transformers Animated from Comic Con here: http://enewsi.com/
My revulsion at Optimus Prime wearing blue lipstick is balanced by the appearance of Dinobots. :D

I can put up with the retractable faceplate, but the lipstick thing is too much.

It also does my heart good to hear random cheering for the Dinobots.

...why is the Green Arrow in there though?

Finally, Megatron looks like his Bay counterpart.
Chris wrote:IMMA CHARGIN MAH MAHQ @_@
Draco's Lair - Latest Update: 1/9/10
razgriz

TF:animated looks to be one of the first TF series in my opinion where the toys end up looking better than their animated selves
(setsuna giggling)