Now Begins...the Potterdammerung

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
Kishiria

Now Begins...the Potterdammerung

Months ago, I reserved my copy of "Deathly Hallows" at Mysterious Galaxy, the San Diego SF/Fantasy bookstore. They're having a party starting at 10 pm to celebrate the release, and the books start selling at 12:01. I thought about going, but there's only street parking for the compound I live in (yes, compound; it's four cottages, their yards, and a lot of banana trees behind big tall fences). I'm worried about finding a space when I get back.

So, I've decided to go there at 8 a.m. when they re-open. The store will be serving coffee and breakfast foods. I figure that'll be much more laid back and I'll be able to park my car when I get back to my house.

After that, I should be lying low all weekend with Harry. :)
Techno-Viking does not dance to the music; the music dances to Techno-Viking.
Bremics

Re: Now Begins...the Potterdammerung

Kishiria wrote:Months ago, I reserved my copy of "Deathly Hallows" at Mysterious Galaxy, the San Diego SF/Fantasy bookstore. They're having a party starting at 10 pm to celebrate the release, and the books start selling at 12:01. I thought about going, but there's only street parking for the compound I live in (yes, compound; it's four cottages, their yards, and a lot of banana trees behind big tall fences). I'm worried about finding a space when I get back.

So, I've decided to go there at 8 a.m. when they re-open. The store will be serving coffee and breakfast foods. I figure that'll be much more laid back and I'll be able to park my car when I get back to my house.

After that, I should be lying low all weekend with Harry. :)
If it's anything like the sixth book it will take me a month due to the fact I will be unable to keep reading it and have to put it down after every two paragraphs (including one skipped one...).

I also noticed the Harry Potter party at West Edmonton Mall... I thought about going then realized I only about two and a half hours the night before and I decided against buying the new book...
Pray she never meets Athrun.
Deus EpS Machina

lol,

Everytime a Potter book is released...well at least the last 3...anyways, its always been a huge deal "OMGIGOTTAGETITFIRSTCUZTHEYWILLRUNOUT^*D#GFO" and people go crazy in that way...my sister used to do that and so one time we got her the book (the fourth one iirc) at 12:01 am at a Chapters bookstore here. Then only 2 days later we were in Walmart which had shelves of the books at 5 bucks less than the MSRP...so i we stopped doing that, and pre-ordering the books. Ill prolly just walk into Walmart on Monday and pick it off =p

Oh, and in terms of what Toronto is doing for the book's release...a mock Diagon Alley and Quidditch field with dancers and music and whatnot at the (i think) Indigo bookstore...
Nyan nyan nyan nyan ni hao nyan!~~~
Lowind

Got a copy somehow without preordering or camping... I suppose nobody thought of finding one at the place where i bought my copy.
Seriously epic. Though i cannot shake the feeling that

[Possible spoilers]Rowling went Tomino kill-them-all style.[/end spoilers]
Koshernova

The book ends with Voldemort, Snape, and an old man with sunglasses duking it out inside a magical superlaser!

Harry Potter is Camille Vidan in this scenario.
Kishiria

The cat woke me up at 7:15 a.m. I had a cup of instant coffee and some toast, read Livejournal, and went to the store. There were three, count 'em, THREE people in line before me. Four came in as I was paying, and except for one twentysomething, I was the youngest person there.

I'm about 550 pages in and enjoying it immensely.
Techno-Viking does not dance to the music; the music dances to Techno-Viking.
Oruma

for me, I'd have 10hrs of work then 10hrs of Harry Potter reading (speed-read, of course) and so my eyes really hurt now... :shock:

It's been a hell of a ride, this whole series, especially this last ride around. The truth behind Snape, the unknowns of Dumbly comes out nicely (and sadly, too)...and the fate of some of the more beloved members (5 people close to Harry will die :( :cry: )

I really would rather NOT have a HP8, because this is already a great ending, so JKR would be well-advised not to ruin it!! :wink:
"So...what does the Uncertainty Principle really mean?"
"Sorry, I'm not sure."
Lowind

I should be more specific. Tomino kill them all style as in named characters being picked off at random throughout the story, just like in Victory gundam.

Though, i would pay to see Harry impale Voldemort with his wand Zeta style and Voldy frying his brain...
Android raptor

I'm house sitting for some friends at the moment, and at first I was puzzled when their great-grandmother (the main reason I'm house sitting is because she has stage two Alzheimer's) brought in a package today and told me it was delivered. I looked at it, saw it was from Barnes & Noble and a few minutes later I remembered what came out today. Not going to open it, but I probably should call them and tell them that Potter has arrived tomorrow :D
Let me show you my Pokemons!
Liking characters no one else does since 1989.
G.Squirrel

I bought the book yesterday and finished it the same day. It was a good book, but I feel that the ending was a little anticlimatic.

Spoiler Warning

I kept expecting this long and drawn out duel between Harry and Voldemort, but their final battle was resolved in essentially two pages. I was also wondering what would happen to Teddy. Harry was his Godfather, but the book makes no mention of whether or not Teddy went and lived with Harry.

End Spoilers
Oruma

G.Squirrel wrote:I bought the book yesterday and finished it the same day. It was a good book, but I feel that the ending was a little anticlimatic.

Spoiler Warning

I kept expecting this long and drawn out duel between Harry and Voldemort, but their final battle was resolved in essentially two pages. I was also wondering what would happen to Teddy. Harry was his Godfather, but the book makes no mention of whether or not Teddy went and lived with Harry.

End Spoilers
*FURTHER SPOILER WARNING*
I agree, it ended kind of like a cowboy shootout doesn't it?
As for Teddy, although his parents and grandpa (Ted, his namesake) are all dead, his grandmother Andromeda is still alive and relatively young. Thus I believe he grew up with her.
(in fact, in the epilogue Harry's kids mentioned that Teddy doesn't live with them, and apparently dating one of Bill & Fleur's daughters.)

*FURTHER SPOILER WARNING*
"So...what does the Uncertainty Principle really mean?"
"Sorry, I'm not sure."
Lert

Read the book, liked the book, best of the HP books imho. However, I can't feel but think that I had expected it to be a bit .. More.
Be alert. The world needs more Lerts.