F-22

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
SNT1

http://www.designation-systems.net/dusrm/m-120.html

The AIM-120D (P3I Phase 4, formerly known as AIM-120C-8) is a development of the AIM-120C with a two-way data link, more accurate navigation using a GPS-enhanced IMU, an expanded no-escape envelope, improved HOBS (High-Angle Off-Boresight) capability, and a 50% increase in range. The AIM-120D is a joint USAF/USN project, and is currently in the testing phase. First production deliveries are expected for December 2007. The CATM-120D is the inert captive-carry training version of the AIM-120D.
I might have very well been behind... But the F-22 (and Superbugs) get an AIM-120D?

Range is just about as far as an AIM-54 can go (or farther)... I read on several sites the AIM-120D can go farther than 180 km... Wow, I guess that's another 30 or so nautical miles farther that USA fighters can fire upon enemy aircraft... amazing.

Guess the Raptor can also play like a Tomcat in a few months.
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/
razgriz

its about freakin time that they were able to come out with a more efficient missile to outrange the now retired and somewhat oversized and underused phoenix. imagine that an lil ol f-16 can now smack down a target 100+miles away vs 25 or 45mi. and the f-22 forget about it, it can missile spam with up to 10 aim-120ds (6 internal, 4 external) on 10 simultaneous targets so jus further cement to its "owner of the sky statue"
setsuna: I AM A GUNDAM!!!
graham: I AM A FLAG!!!
(setsuna giggling)
graham: NO!! i said FLLLAG!
Renegade334

IIRC the new AIM-120D boasts a slightly shorter range than the AIM-54C+'s, but when it comes to efficient kill ranges, I guess it doesn't really matter whether there is a difference of a few miles or not - the performances should be roughly the same. However, the AIM-120D might not be able to offer the same warhead lethality as that of the good 'ole Phoenix - since that monster of a missile was designed to drop heavy strategic bombers from the USSR such as the Tu-95. Unless, of coure, they use a more powerful brand of explosives to make up for the AMRAAM's smaller diameter and volume.

Nevertheless, there might be some incentive to revive the retired Phoenix, since Putin has now decided to un-mothball some of his Bears and other Blackjacks. I'm not sure the updated AMRAAM will be powerful enough to get rid of those big guys in one fell swoop (I expect two or three Slammers will do the trick, whereas a single Phoenix might deal enough damage to make the target turn back home). On the other hand, I expect air-to-air performances against small aircrafts like the Fulcrum or the Flanker, to be equal to the Phoenix' capabilities, with the only difference that there is probably more potential in tighter maneuvers and dogfight interception for the AMRAAM. Anti-cruise missiles warfare should be identical IMHO.
-- Light travels faster than sound: this is the scientific explanation as to why people appear brilliant...that is, until you hear what they have to say.
ZeonfromHell

Renegade334 wrote:However, the AIM-120D might not be able to offer the same warhead lethality as that of the good 'ole Phoenix - since that monster of a missile was designed to drop heavy strategic bombers from the USSR such as the Tu-95....

...I'm not sure the updated AMRAAM will be powerful enough to get rid of those big guys in one fell swoop
I will have to disagree. The AMRAAM was designed and build to replace the Sparrow missile. They have similar appearances and are of similar size, the only real difference is guidance and propulsion. They have the same explosive power, and the Sparrow was initially designed as an anti-bomber weapon to replace the useless Falcon missile. The warhead on both missiles is enough fatally wound a bomber. You don't have to completely obliterate a bomber to neutralize it. One warhead ought to be enough to destroy the tail assembly or remove a wing.

I really have no idea why the Phoenix has such a big warhead, besides that it could have had shot pellets inside to boarden its damage radious against small cruise missiles.
Patriotism is not a magnetic ribbon.
FEMC_Mirage_Corp

Modern US missile use something called a continuous expanding rod warhead.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuous-rod_warhead

(I know it's wikipedia, but it seems accurate AFAIK)

The AIM-54 just used a conventional proximity fused high explosive warhead as far as I can tell.
"We are All Individuals" - They Chanted in Unison
ZeonfromHell

Ok then. Maybe the Phoenix's warhead is just a gross symbol of excess? It's like a supersized Monster Thickburger combo; it's awesome but it's just too much. I honestly don't think the Phoenix missile needed such a big warhead. (Sorry for the food reference, I just had personal wellness and had a lecture on the nutrition chapter.) Unless they really wanted to cram in as many rods as possible to increase the probability of killing a relatively small cruise missile, I have no idea why they would make it so huge in comparison to the adequately powerful (albiet innacurrate) Sparrow. But in accordance to the mentioned website, it does not specifically state the Phoenix as having a the continuous expanding rod warhead, just Sidewinders and AMRAAMS (though it focuses on radar-guided missiles, which the Phoenix most definitely is).
Patriotism is not a magnetic ribbon.
razgriz

i would hope that with a warhead such as what the amraam is equipped with would be more than enough to slag a bomber in one hit provided it doesnt just plow through the tail section. a hit near the wing root or the underside of a blackjack or anywhere on the main central fuselage of the tu-95 which is likened to a flying gastank should be enough for one shot one kill.
setsuna: I AM A GUNDAM!!!
graham: I AM A FLAG!!!
(setsuna giggling)
graham: NO!! i said FLLLAG!