Battletech movie

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
Nagato21

Yes true enough, BT is very popular; thanks to many science fiction writters, the franchise was expanded so it has the possibility to become a hit in the live screen.
The real problem however is that Mechs in live movies are not taken seriously and big critics are always waiting in the corner to dash it with comments like its too far fetch or a waist of money and most of the big time producers think alike.
ZEON SHALL RISE AGAIN!!!
wing zero alpha

Ascension wrote:Didn't really phrase myself well. They have the same straight line max speed, but the Daishi turns more slowly (at least in MW4), so it's less agile. Also, I've never liked the configuration of the Daishi's hardpoints and (at least in MW4) the Atlas can carry more armor than the Daishi. Of course, what I'd REALLY like to see would be an Atlas IIC... but that'll never happen.
Funny, I always found the Atlas as too big a target in either games, since its bulking frame makes it easier to shoot at. Granted, the Daishi is just as big, but it's harder to hit points like the center torso, head or legs due to having a less broad design in either game.
I still say I'd rather not see this movie turn into a "Protagonists slay tons of grunts" kinda movie, at least not if the grunts being slain are the same weight class. I'm cool with Locust zerging, though.
Who said this was going to be Mechwarrior Musou? I just like the idea of the protagonists having advanced technology backing them up, again like how the Rebel Alliance had the X-Wing to the Empire having TIE Fighters.
You know... World War 2 didn't really have a strong story, either. It was basically just a bunch of factions fighting it out in a bunch of battles that didn't really focus on one person or another.
The thing there is World War II is a real life event that everyone has an ancestor that was involved in, so naturally it's easier to market than something fictional. Think about it, what's going to move you more? The D-Day intro to Saving Private Ryan, which you know actually happened with all the brutality depicted, or the invasion of Stana Mechty? As cool as Mechwarrior battles are, the knowledge that their fictional keeps from actually "feeling" for the people involved unless the characters are that well depicted, but then I have the same attitude towards Gundam battles so I can't speak for everyone.
If you want a movie telling about the Clan Wars of the Fedcom Civil War(Which I think is the best) it will take more than one movie, maybe a trilogy, in any case they'll have to cut or modify a large part of the plot or remove some characters.
Yeah, or the Stargate thing where a TV series gets spawned from it. I can see something on the Battlestar Galactica scale for the Sci-Fi channel.
Mwulf

Then exit my WWII analogy with Lord of the Rings. It still fits. The reason the world of Middle-Earth is so enthralling is due, in large part, to the copious amount of fictional history present in the storytelling.

Frankly, I can't wrap my mind around your argument and I don't really see how you can either. Fiction is fiction... there's more than one way to tell a story.
Another Day, Another Mishap.

Gundam Seed Fates
ASA (comic)
wing zero alpha

Mwulf wrote:Then exit my WWII analogy with Lord of the Rings. It still fits. The reason the world of Middle-Earth is so enthralling is due, in large part, to the copious amount of fictional history present in the storytelling.

Frankly, I can't wrap my mind around your argument and I don't really see how you can either. Fiction is fiction... there's more than one way to tell a story.
Except when it comes down to it (again), the main story of Lord of the Rings focuses around Frodo, Sam, Aragorn, Gandalf, etc. and the war they're fighting against Sauron, which you can read/watch and partially understand without having to wrap your head around the likes of Morgoth and the origins of the world. That's a big reason why the films were such a success; when they couldn't tell everything about the world and the history that led up to Sauron and his Ring, they kept the parts that were essential so that people knew what was going on in the then and now. But even then some consider the films excessive, and would never get into the books they were based on for being all the more "detailed".

Once more, people don't usually want to take college level history courses just so they can understand what they're watching; they go because they want to be entertained in one way or the other. So making a movie that heavily relies on people understanding the arguably excessive history behind Battletech just so they can be entertained is a big no-no; you want to have a story and movie that both works for the people that do know the large amounts of information on the universe and the people that don't. As well, you have to assume that the latter groups aren't going to boot up wikipedia to further their knowledge on the universe, because nine times out of ten they're not going to be that interested.

Frankly, I can wrap my head around this argument just fine, thank you.
Mwulf

You seem completely immune to the notion that a movie could deal with a small portion of the universe--say, the personal tale of a single individual--instead of the WHOLE universe. o__O

Here's an idea: Morgan Kell. Make his story (first book of the clan invasion) into a movie. It'd be great.

Or a movie about Victor and the clan wars, starting with his mother's death.

Or anything else. A war story is a war story--the whens, wheres and hows don't really matter.

Gundam Seed Fates
ASA (comic)
wing zero alpha

Mwulf wrote:You seem completely immune to the notion that a movie could deal with a small portion of the universe--say, the personal tale of a single individual--instead of the WHOLE universe. o__O

Here's an idea: Morgan Kell. Make his story (first book of the clan invasion) into a movie. It'd be great.

Or a movie about Victor and the clan wars, starting with his mother's death.

Or anything else. A war story is a war story--the whens, wheres and hows don't really matter.
Quite apparently you missed my earlier posts about making a movie on the Fedcom Civil War, since it's a less explored point in Battletech and therefore can have a story written on it without having to worry about established points like during the Clan Wars. I'm all for having a movie that tells about a small portion of the universe, I just don't want to pull out an Encyclopedia Mechanica to understand stuff that doesn't even happen in the film but still has precedence.

As for a war story, if you want to have a Band of Brothers type of thing going on, then you're better off just having a kickass TV series. Making a war film based around a fictional character's war biography, around a fictional war no less, isn't the same as making a movie on Sergeant York, General Billy Mitchell or Major "Pappy" Boyington and the Black Sheep Squadron.
Ravager

Agreed. The scope of the Battletech universe is just too broad to be turned into movies. The best way is like Battlestar Galactica's or Babylon 5: seasonal tv shows gradually introducing the complex universe. And perhaps tie-in movies and miniseries to kickstart it.
The Titans Test Team: They go through more mobile suits than Jerid Messa on his best day!
Mwulf

It'd be a pretty high-budget TV series'... and granted, since B5 there've only been 2 decent scifi shows. DS9 (kind of concurrent, I think) and the 4400, which is suprisingly awesome.

Gundam Seed Fates
ASA (comic)
Ravager

Hey BSG is still awesome!

It doesn't need to be high-budget aside from animating the military units. I mean, Andromeda pulled it off for FIVE seasons, so no reason this one can't.
The Titans Test Team: They go through more mobile suits than Jerid Messa on his best day!