Michael Bay's Mobile Suit Gundam ?

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.

Mobile Suit Gundam live action movies done by Hollywood

SURE, FIRE UP!
47%
CHECK YOUR HEAD, DUDE!
53%

Total votes: 57
Zenstrive

Michael Bay's Mobile Suit Gundam ?

Yeah, it's a longshot, but so was the chance that a CGI-fest featuring big-bad-menacing looking transforming robots become an EXCELLENT flick!

I know now that with enough care on storyline, big-free-flowing budgets, and a director who know what needs to be done, any anime-based live action movies can be a GREAT THING!

So, who's with me? Well, it doesn't need to have Michael Bay at the helm, perhaps Sam Raimi or Christopher Nolan can do nicely.
mcred23

They'll take one look at G-Saviour, see that it didn't work before, and leave it at that. Besides, unlike Transformers, Gundam was never as well known in America and doesn't have the legacy over here, so it won't have nearly the same potential to them.

And besides, the odds of another live action Gundam movie being made are basically zero, if not at zero.
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
SNT1

I yuck at the idea. :P

A very good CG-style film would do though, Kinda live FFVII: Advent Children. (And FF: Spirits Within was a flop) Like the FF7:AC movie was directed by the director of he gae, it would have to be Tomino at the helm.
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/
EZero8

G-Saviour was enough of a failure, so I doubt there will ever be another attempt at a Gundam live-action film. Besides, are there any American directors out there who have even heard of the term "Gundam?" I doubt it.
ShadowCell wrote:"Poor fool, ShadowCell!" you say. "You can't win against fandom stupidity with the Power of the Mod!"
Phantomexe87

I wouldn't mind a CG-like movie either, but live-action... Though if transformers is a big hit, then a lot of Hollywood will look to Japan for something with big robots, one of the first things they will run across, is Gundam. But I still doubt it.
auriga

There are a lot of things to consider when turning Gundam into a live-action feature. And G-Saviour isn't helping that endeavor one bit.

Probably the most important thing to remember here is that Gundam isn't just raw action. And that's one of the things Hollywood finds very hard to transcend, be it Gundam or not.

And no, definitely not Bay.
turkishproverb

I don't htink it would ever happen, certainly not for quite a while.

G-savior certainly would have soured many on the idea, and even otherwise, finding someone who can do action, character drama, war drama, AND political intrigue these days is not easy.

I can't recall Chris nolan doing anything war related off hand.

Raimi would hurt it a fair deal, not take it seriously in too many places.

Bay..is getting better, but i don't think he'd work. I might change my mind later on, but his work tends to be...shallow. The ISland wasn't as much, but it had a few pacing problems, and some direction issues in performance.
Join Zeon: Victory by 0080
Ascension wrote:
turkishproverb wrote:Unless your Joe Quesada.
:lol: Ahh, Quesada. He is to comic book fans what Fukuda is to Gundam fans.
auriga

I'd wager James Cameron would probably be a better choice... Don't stone me, lol.
Bay..is getting better... but his work tends to be...shallow.
Exactly. If Gundam was just about big booms, then why not? But that isn't Gundam.
SNT1

I gotta point out the fact that G-Saviour's production is below the average B-movie; seems like the OP wants an A-grade blockbuster that's gonna make mucho moola.

...That said, no live actors (CG onry ftw) and directed by Tomino and it could be alright. I guess. I'm stillnot entirely crazy at the idea though.
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/
Kishiria

Sure, let me and HDS produce the screenplay. It'll be 20 hours on cable TV but it'd be worth every penny. :)
Techno-Viking does not dance to the music; the music dances to Techno-Viking.
auriga

Now that you mentioned it, I remember thinking that a TV movie series would be a much better way to go for live-action Gundam. Condensing an entire war into 3 hours max isn't really the best idea.
Metal Legend
Location: Going all Reservoir Dogs on Kira in a warehouse in London

Making a live action Gundam Trilogy is mine, one which i will make when I am 40 and a big time director lol : )

Bay would just crap all over it : )
Sometimes the appropriate response to reality is to go insane - Philip k. Dick
auriga

Haha. I'd wager that anyone of us will do a better job, lol. It's pretty much a fanboy's dream.

But now the question is... Who'll fund us? Hollywood isn't too keen about movies like these, just look at how they initially accepted The Passion.
Malancthon

Of the various mecha anime to turn into a live action American movie, Evangelion is usually the populer choice. I'd rather see a crazy Japanese director try it. The best bet to do it would be a 90% CG movie, like Casshern. Check out Gackt's Metamorphize music video to see how it should be done. I don't know how good of an actor he is (Moonboy wasn't exactly that great), but I could see him being a pilot. Attatching his name to it would bring in more fangirls than Gundam Wing. Plus Gackt is a UC Fanboy, so he's make sure it would honour the original.
The School of the Undefeated of the East!
The Winds of the King!
Zenshin! Keiretsu!
Tempa Kyoran!
Look! The East is burning red!
Antares

I've also given some thought to this during the darkest hours of the night. :P I vote wholeheartedly for Kishiria's vision though: a made-for-TV movie with enough length to make it good. A CGI movie would only have eyecandy a rush through some made-up storyline and leave an average Gundam-fan quite empty inside. My favorite example is Dune, and how bad the Lynch movie was compared to the Sci-Fi Channel version.

auriga said:
Haha. I'd wager that anyone of us will do a better job, lol. It's pretty much a fanboy's dream.
I would be beside myself with joy if I could ever contribute something to an animated Gundam. So you're pretty right there. :) But I wouldn't want to direct it because the flak would be so immense that I would become a bitter recluse within five minutes of reading through any web-forum. :D
-We will not be caught by surprise!
*Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words.
-Then I am glad once again that you are on my side.
*They've often said that too.
codename:v

A live Gundam movie... Sounds pretty cool but I'm not sure Hollywood would invest into something that is rather foreign. Still, we can discuss about it, here's my point of view for a live action Gundam...
Timeline should be different than any other, maybe close to our timeline and I don't mean OO.
Katoki may likely be the mecha designer since he did imagine mechas as though as they're real, designs can be as realistic and radical like the wanzers in Front Mission series(functionality is more important than looks) That also makes the beam buster rifle is so unconventional...
There would be more casualties and emotions spills like whatever you've seen in Afghanistan and Iraq, since anything that big is equavailent to an atomic bomb.
Newtype or any special abilities should be discarded as the protagonist should have the same characteristics of an ordinary person, that would create depths. Ages and cultures should be more diversifies since this is a global matter. How long can we keep up with the Powered Ranger crap?
Lastly, absolutely NO LOLICONS and CROSS DRESSING scene...
Sounds soooo against Gundam, huh? Well, that how I want if I'm gonna shoot a live Gundam movie. Am I destroying your childhood? Brace yourself...
Nagato21

Aside from Gundam Live movie I heard a disturbing rumor three months ago that Dreamstar wanted to make a Macross action live movie, starring Tom Cruise; At least this I can picture it in the screen, Gundam on live blaargh :P
ZEON SHALL RISE AGAIN!!!
codename:v

Now why must they pulled Macross and Top Gun together? Tom Cruise? Then they might as well throw in Katie Holmes...
J.E.

See i know this would happen. The transformers movie just opened the way for more mech based movies. But i say no to gundam.
Antares

Macross & Cruise combination is potential for so much ridicule that I'm not even going to go there just yet. But I am visualizing it and it is not pretty. Especially if I copy&paste Top Gun into it. :D
-We will not be caught by surprise!
*Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words.
-Then I am glad once again that you are on my side.
*They've often said that too.