Pirates of The Caribbean 3: At Worlds' End

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
ShadowCell

Well, Jack Sparrow is a pretty crappy pirate, all told. He tries and tries and tries to be bad and winds up being good.

Meanwhile, Barbossa tries and tries and tries to be bad and winds up being bad. So that makes him awesome.

That final battle would've been a lot cooler if they'd involved that kafreakinghuge fleet that Beckett brought with him, and all those other pirates that had spent so much time jacking off to themselves. And they could've left Sao Feng and Norrington alive for the battle too, so that Chow Yun Fat could do what he does best, and Norrington could die in some climactic swordfight with Beckett or that guy that got tentacle-raped by Davy Jones or something.

Speaking of Beckett, he was something of a disappointment. Barbossa and Norrington and Davy Jones got into swordfights, but all Beckett ever really did was say snarky things and sit around drinking tea and fanning himself.
codename:v

It just feels like everything ended so quickly, like a Jackie Chan movie-actions all the way and end up abruptly. Seriously, I wish they had given Sao Feng and Davy Jones more action flicks.
Aegis

Antares wrote:I also felt Keira's version of "FREEDOOOOM!!!" was somewhat amusing. It doesn't fit just everyone, and it is also used way too often for comfort in movies these days. *insert generic morale boosting speech of naivete here* But at least her character was given that option and not just be comic relief for the boys.
More amusing than cringe-worthy, though I agree it seems a tad awkward, even if we are talking about the East Indian Trade Company and the like going out to hunt down all the pirates to the point of extinction. Afterall, only Sparrow really showed anything remotely resembling freedom, and that has more to do with himself. Everyone else, you don't really feel that beyond just being there because they don't want to get killed. :P Really, it's far from terrible when you consider lines like "Tonight, we celebrate our INDEPENDENCE DAY!" o.O

And, yes, Jack Sparrow is anything but your typical pirate. In fact, overall, he makes for a rather lousy captain compared to Davy Jones and Hector Barbossa, who represent the more typical pirate captains you'd see or read about. Thus is the reason why people love Jack Sparrow in the first place. :P Unexpectedly smart and clever, even though he's way too goofy and weird to be taken totally seriously. He was not exactly meant to be badass anyways as much as he was meant to stand out. I'm glad Johnny Depp decided to model his character after the likes of Keith Richards as opposed to going with the usual, considering that was what made the first Pirates so popular.
razgriz

being a big independence day fan i can tell you that bill pullman ad-libbed that line into motion picture infamy, they never wanted the movie to sneak the title in there like most movies except for star wars do.

they definitely broke the mold with capt jack sparrow, but i think the creators knew or at least had an idea that it would take a cooky pseudo-pirate hero/anti hero to revive the pirate movie genre. i mean think about it before POTC what was the last real pirate movie, that wasnt um well ill let you guys fill in that blank.
setsuna: I AM A GUNDAM!!!
graham: I AM A FLAG!!!
(setsuna giggling)
graham: NO!! i said FLLLAG!
RGM-79G GM Command

I liked it a lot, but it seemed like Jack was a secondary character in it and I didn't like that or that it seemed like no one cared Elizabeth killed Jack and Will only cared that she didn't tell him.

Also, sea turtles = Pirate's Minovsky Particles.
Thundermuffin's TEGSD: MEYRIN: Ma’am! The Archangel has arrived and launched a giant, man-shaped robot at us! Likelihood of it being a mobile-suit… (Meyrin does some quick calculations on her console)…ninety-nine point eight percent!
ARTHUR: Good God, that’s almost a hundred-percent!
Antares

You mean the crabs or did I miss something in the movie? :D
-We will not be caught by surprise!
*Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words.
-Then I am glad once again that you are on my side.
*They've often said that too.
Aegis

Antares wrote:
You mean the crabs or did I miss something in the movie? :D
Remember the dog? ;p
RGM-79G GM Command

Antares wrote:You mean the crabs or did I miss something in the movie? :D
I mean like when someone got away from something in some unexplained way (Jack, Will, and as Aegis said the dog.) it was always explained with "sea turtles" like with Minovsky Particles in UC. :lol:
Thundermuffin's TEGSD: MEYRIN: Ma’am! The Archangel has arrived and launched a giant, man-shaped robot at us! Likelihood of it being a mobile-suit… (Meyrin does some quick calculations on her console)…ninety-nine point eight percent!
ARTHUR: Good God, that’s almost a hundred-percent!
ShadowCell

I dunno, I kinda like the idea of the White Base being carried through the air by millions of tiny crabs.
Shinji103
Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship: Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks

ShadowCell wrote:Dead Man's Chest and At World's End both give me the impression that they hacked together a story for those two after they realized that holy crap, Curse of the Black Pearl was really friggin' popular.
(Quite a bit late, but...) This isn't anything really new. If something's popular, then it's only natural they'd want to try and milk it. (just look at Gundam, lol) I've seen stuff like this in other movies, and even in Japan as well, where something that was originally intended to be a one-shotter turns out to be really popular and so they come up with a new plot and/or story in order to add on sequels.

In Japan's Galaxy Angel game series, it's quite clear that they didn't really plan on sequel games, judging by the way the first game ended. In Milfie's ending, Milfie loses her ability to pilot an Emblem Frame and thus retires from the Angel Troupe, and Takuto retires too to be with her, then they give her back her piloting ability in the second game. In Ranpha's ending, Ranpha talks about Takuto and herself now sharing a room, but in the sequel games they're still in their seperate rooms, since it would be make it a bit hard to develop more on their relationship in the next two games if their relationship is already so solidified. Also, while the first Galaxy Angel game had one story, plot, and enemy, the following two Galaxy Angel games introduced a new plot and enemy into the story in order to make the sequels. The fourth game, Galaxy Angel II, was just a complete sequel with a new main cast.

Side-promotion/rant: the fifth Galaxy Angel game comes out October 18th 2007. Giddy giddy. :D :D :D (sorry, couldn't hold in my fanboying :) )

If you look at the first Matrix movie, it looks like they originally intended it to be a single movie as well. Then they came up with the attack on Zion to make it into a trilogy for the two following movies, like with Galaxy ANgel

The Bourne Identity also shares the same pattern as The Matrix and the Galaxy Angel games. The first movie had its own story and plot, then they made a new plot to add on the second movie, and now the upcoming third movie.
Ravager

At least i totally enjoyed all the Bourne movies. They make good standalone stories and doesn't let up on the action.
The Titans Test Team: They go through more mobile suits than Jerid Messa on his best day!