Stanley Cup '07

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
Nimrod

Again, I'm lazy too retype what I posted over on GundamPlus so I'll just quote myself.
5 for 8 in the first round which is pretty good. I don't think anyone saw the Rangers sweep coming and if you did then you're a big fat liar. :P

Eastern Conference

(1) Buffalo Sabers vs (6) New York Rangers - Rangers had a very easy series. Pure and simple. This time it will be different. The Sabers on the other hand showed that they are not the invincible offensive machine that they seem to be in the regular season. 2 of the top Goaltenders in the NHL are in this series and it'll be a good chance to see if Miller will step up and show what hes got and if Lundqvist is truly ready for prime time. This series isn't about goaltenders alone, since both teams have the firepower to give their goalies a lead. The same questions apply to the rangers - can they keep it up and will jagr still play or will he just get bored and decide to go home? For the Sabers can their small players keep it up? Should be a good series despite the East Coast Bias. Watch both goalies steal a game or 2 in this one Sabers in 7

(2) New Jersey Devils vs (4) Ottawa Senators - The matchup of this round. Everyone wants to see if the high scoring and speedy sens can break the trap of the Devils and beat Martin Brodeur, the best goalie playing right now. The sens are not pushovers now since it seems Ray Emery is stepping up and giving them the goaltending they're always wished for. Look for this to be a very low scoring and probably very dull series. Still, I'm going with the experience here as well as they fact that as a Leafs fan, I cannot cheer for the sens. Devils in 6.

Western Conference

(1) Detroit Red Wings vs (5) San Jose Sharks- Both teams are coming in with injuries to various players after their respective first round match-ups. Looking on paper, it seems we're in for a 7 game run but I personally think Hasek will start to show his age in this series, especially when the Sharks big guns start pelting him with shots. I'm not saying the Red wings are going to roll over but I'm starting to suspect that Joe Thornton will show the world what the experts have been saying about him for the last few years. I also think Detroit had more taken out of them by the Flames than it looks. Sharks in 6.

(2) Anaheim Ducks vs (3) Vancouver Canucks- I'll be honest here, I didn't think the Canucks had it in them to beat Dallas. I'll also be honest, this is the series I could care less about. This time it will be completely different since the Ducks will not play the slow game that the Stars played and will run Vancouver over. Can Roberto win another series for the canucks? I don't think so, not this time. He'll steal them one though. Quack Quack! FLYING V! Ducks in 5.
Wingnut

Tied your Sharks up there this afternoon, EZero8.

Can you team come back and stop us?
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
EZero8

Maybe, maybe not. We'll find out soon enough Wingnut.

But for now, all aboard the CHEECHOO TRAIN?! :twisted:
ShadowCell wrote:"Poor fool, ShadowCell!" you say. "You can't win against fandom stupidity with the Power of the Mod!"
gihrenzabi

sabres win game 5 after scoring with 7.7 left in the 3rd and win it in over time.
"To victory, life or death!" - Mikhail "Misha" Kaminsky
"The great mass of people...will more easily
fall victim to a big lie than to a small one."
Adolf Hitler, Mein Kampf
Nimrod

gihrenzabi wrote:sabres win game 5 after scoring with 7.7 left in the 3rd and win it in over time.
Indeed. It was definitely a goalie duel tonight.

and a belated bye bye to the Vancouver Canucks who lost to the Ducks last night. Watching the series one could see that in the last 2 games the Vancouver players were just simply out of gas.
Wingnut

4-1 win here for Detroit in game 5. Your Sharks are officially on their last leg there, EZero8, as they are now down 3 games to 2.
Game 6 Monday night.
The Gundam wiki

R.I.P., SDGO.
EZero8

*shrugs*

Meh. I havent been following them and only found out once you told me. Frankly, I'm more interested in the Warriors toppling the Mavs than the Sharks getting their asses handed to them.

I guess all I can do is hope that Thornton and co. manage to work their magic and pull off a win.
ShadowCell wrote:"Poor fool, ShadowCell!" you say. "You can't win against fandom stupidity with the Power of the Mod!"
gihrenzabi

sabres onto the confrence finals
Adolf Hitler, Mein Kampf
Wingnut

Well, Detroit just defeated the Sharks 2-0 and move on to the conference finals. *Loads shotgun* Time to go Duck hunting.
The Gundam wiki

R.I.P., SDGO.
Nimrod

Is anyone still watching the games? Even me being the die hard hockey fan am having trouble watching the games because the last few have been so boring. Maybe these match-ups will change that since all 4 are offensive minded.

Eastern Conference Finals

(1)Buffalo Sabers vs (4) Ottawa Senators - The worst match-up for any Toronto Maple Leaf fan. Cheer for the remaining Canadian team despite them being Ottawa or cheer for the sabers despite them being from barfalo. Buffalo has played extremely well and proved that they can beat anything that is thrown at them. Ottawa did what some would be impossible and beat the New Jersey Devils and namely Martin Brodeur. A pair of offensive minded and fast teams matching up should make this one a fun series to watch. and who knows, maybe "Sugar" Ray Emery will show up if things get nasty ;) Sabers in 6

Western Conference Finals

(1) Detroit Red Wings vs (2) Anaheim Ducks - Honest show of hands, who really thought the Red Wings would get past the Sharks? I guess Detroit proved that San Jose is truly an over-rated team. Anaheim on the other hand and quietly plowed their way through other teams to get to this point. Are they really this good or were the other teams just that bad? This is the time to find out. Should be a very interesting match-up given all the variables. Will Hasek be Hasek and try to draw a penalty with his acting (they will be near LA-La land at some point)? Will the Duck finally employ and dreaded Flying V? In any case, I think I'm going to do the impossible because I'd rather see a real hockey city with experience win over a team owned by the mouse. Red Wings in 5.
Aegis

Ottawa makes it to the final four... and for some reason, I could care less. Honestly, I myself haven't found these playoffs to be all that great to begin with, so I haven't been following them all that much. Hmm... flip a coin between Buffalo and Ottawa... though the Sabers do look to be the better team. And Detroit versus Anaheim? That is a game I can't really decide, seeing how well the Ducks played, and how the Wings handled the Sharks.
Blue Comet

Well round 3 is upon us and I've finally got around to updating the original post for it again.

Sorry for the extremely late update on it though as my internet hours had dried up completely last month due to a ridiculously long download so i couldn't get around to it.
Draco Starcloud

Wingnut wrote:Well, Detroit just defeated the Sharks 2-0 and move on to the conference finals. *Loads shotgun* Time to go Duck hunting.
Oh please. Red Wings? More like the Hot Wings. Someone get me a side of ranch! :p
Chris wrote:IMMA CHARGIN MAH MAHQ @_@
Draco's Lair - Latest Update: 1/9/10
Antares

Don't suppose anyone here even takes notice of the World Championships going on in Moscow this year? I know it's not NHL, but at least it's hockey. :wink:
-We will not be caught by surprise!
*Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words.
-Then I am glad once again that you are on my side.
*They've often said that too.
Nimrod

Antares wrote:Don't suppose anyone here even takes notice of the World Championships going on in Moscow this year? I know it's not NHL, but at least it's hockey. :wink:
I have been watching when I can. I caught the excellent Russia-Finland game this morning followed by the Canada-Sweden game. A Canada-Finland Final looks to be a sweet match-up.

The cool thing also was the announcement that the Canada and Russia Juniors will be doing a rematch of sorts of the 72 series starting in August. I doubt it'll have the same impacts and hatred that the original series had but you never know.
Antares

The Russians have played very well this year, and the Swedes did rather well too considering how few NHL stars they got. As opposed to, say, Finland. :P The loss of Dallas Stars in the NHL playoffs was a win in terms of players for Team Finland. I am slightly miffed though that the only player from the local team I support got bumped due to a NHL-player coming to the team, but if they win the championship I suppose that is a small price to pay. :)
A Canada-Finland Final looks to be a sweet match-up.
Granted it's not filled with as much emotion as a Sweden-Finland final would've been, but I do agree that we should be in for a very good game. Now that I've gone and jinxed it, that is. :P

Not go all off-topic here, I must say I am very impressed by Dominik Hasek. I mean I can remember the guy has been in a star goalie the first NHL-games I've ever played. In real life he is still blocking the puck on the ice. Incredible, some guys just seem to keep on doing it year in, year out, even with a break in between.
-We will not be caught by surprise!
*Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words.
-Then I am glad once again that you are on my side.
*They've often said that too.
gihrenzabi

sabres are done. hope next year is the year.
Adolf Hitler, Mein Kampf
Aegis

The amazing part of that series was how much the Sens actually dominated the Sabres. I wasn't surprised that Ottawa won as much as the fact that they did so in five games. Granted, the Sens were one of the few teams who's cpabale of handling the Sabres, but given this is the playoffs, and given that the Sabres themselves were a good team, 4 games to 1 was not how I expected the thing to end.
Draco Starcloud

So the Ducks are going to be playing Ottawa for the Stanley Cup?

My heart will be torn between the home town of my true love and my favorite team, the Ducks!

Eh...she won't have to forgive me if I don't bring it up.
Chris wrote:IMMA CHARGIN MAH MAHQ @_@
Draco's Lair - Latest Update: 1/9/10
Wingnut

Draco Starcloud wrote:So the Ducks are going to be playing Ottawa for the Stanley Cup?

My heart will be torn between the home town of my true love and my favorite team, the Ducks!

Eh...she won't have to forgive me if I don't bring it up.
It will matter not as I'm still betting that the Ducks do not advance to the finals.
It may seem like kind of a long shot here, but like a certain pilot would say "I don't mind betting on tough odds.". Especially when it comes to my hometown sports teams.
The Gundam wiki

R.I.P., SDGO.