Member Introduction Thread Mk. III

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
Zball

Re: Member Introduction Thread Mk. III

Hi. I'm Zball. Once upon a time I was Zetasphere. That was back on G.com and the very old The Gundam Project. Been a part of the fandom since the late 90s when I finally got a computer and internet access and have been off and on and in and out ever since. No, this name is not a reference to Z Gundam. I have used this name for over twelve years now, even before I knew of a Gundam.

A few things about me, so when/if I start actually posting, you have a source of reference.

Giant robots kick ass.

I believe AUs suck, almost by default. Gundam X is the sole exception. Turn A isn't an AU. I believe anything chronologically after CCA is sufficiently different from the best parts of UC to be effectively an AU. I believe that Gihren Zabi would have been successful in defeating the Federation if he had Garma's hair. I believe that mobile armors are dumb and terrible and hideous (hello, Zakrello). I believe that claws on mobile armors are even dumber. And despite that, Bigro is the greatest MA ever designed. I believe Katoki designs some of the coolest giant robots and Okawara is terrible. I believe the Zaku is awesome and MSVs remain hilarious and win. I believe Bright Noah is the best character Tomino devised. For that reason anything involving him is good. Jamil Neate, being a J-pop Bright is, by extension, awesome. I believe the original OYW novel was better than the compilation movies but much worse than the series. I believe Gundam Wing was good only because it got people interested in the fandom as a whole and not for any value of its own. I believe Turn A is amazing and Syd Mead needs to do more. I think Char ultimately won, despite being a delusional jerk, because he is remembered. Vultures are great and the first few episodes of Gundam X were amazing, if only for the one scene where they are shooting at the GX/Airmaster/Leopard while dragging the scraps of their fallen comrades away.

That's a start at any rate. Hi to the people I remember. Hi to the people that remember me. Hi to the people I don' know yet.
Whatever works.
PrissAsagiri UK

Hi, I'm PrissAsagiri UK, and like Zball I'm a longtime fan but only recently returned to the fandom. I was around for the days of Gundam Project and later Gundam Watch, was at least passingly active within the fandom from (I think) 2000 until 2002, when real life intervened and keeping up with Gundam kind of dropped off my list of priorities.

My knowledge of Gundam is no doubt full of holes, idle speculation, and outright misinformation; I don't think I've seen any Gundam series start-to-finish, and in particular Seed, Destiny, and 00 have passed me by. I believe there's something hard-to-define that, across the breadth of varied AUs, makes Gundam what it is, and I love fan-created AUs and AU works that seem to 'get' this, to capture the spark and spirit of Gundam anew with an original setting, cast of characters, and arsenal of mecha.

Those of you who remember me can expect me to be, well, about as active as I ever was. Those (no doubt in the vast majority) who don't... well, it is, I hope, a pleasure to make your collective acquaintance, and I look forward to posting here as a part of this community.
Zball

Which Priss? The first Priss we used to chat with many moons ago? I seem to recall numerous AIM chats with Medius and Bladed and Quess and everyone. If that's you, I'm totally stoked.
Whatever works.
PrissAsagiri UK

There were multiple Prisses? :P But yeah, I remember AIM chats and a bunch of the names you've mentioned are familiar.
Zball

Graybear's lady was Priss, but that may have been after you. Granted, I'm stretching back ten years or more now. I remember you being awesome. Welcome back.
Whatever works.
Black Knight

That was totally after this Priss, Zball. You slacker. This one, if memory serves, was a fan more of the 2040 Priss (until they brought Leon into her orbit), rather than the 2032 Priss.

Or my eight-year-old memories are really letting me down.
Zball

This is the first Priss. We had those crazy eight hour AIM chats with her and Medius and Phong and Newtype Mike and Bladed and HDS and Redcomet and Quess, etc. I just had to be certain. But this one is from across the pond. She's the real deal.

Also, what's good, my old friend?
Whatever works.
PimpDaddyMegatron

Yo! This is Transformer fan #88990,Pimp Daddy Megatron aka Mike. While I was introduced to Gundam through Gundam 00 (back when Sci-Fi was running the second season of the english dub for the first time) so I'm kind of a newbie, although I'm an avid listener of Gundamn Podcast and have played the UC mode of Gundam Dynasty Warriors 2 so I think I've got the basics of UC (I know its not enough but damn it all if my DVD store will carry any of the UC stuff and I'm a little too broke to buy online). I've also seen most of Gundam Wing and the second half of Gundam Seed Destiny (without seeing most of Seed) and yeah I know that was a dumb idea but I was really into curious if the second half of Seed Destiny was as terrible as I heard it was (you can call me a masochist). So at this point I'm at the mercy of buying whatever Gundam DVD, my local FYE store carries, I also must say that I have very high expectations for Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam from watching all of the OP and EDs along with hearing about the eventual fate of Kamille-damn I wish I had the DVD's on me. Speaking of Kamille, I hope I don't get flamed for this but I actually liked Shinn Asuka in Destiny (well until the whole Darth Vader thing he had going on with Durandal) and how he was the Kamille wannabe of CE. I generally watch my Gundam series in english, just because I generally like the Ocean Group dubs for what they are.

If I were to rate my favorite Gundam suits solely based on my n00b status they would be:

1. 00 Raiser-Season two of 00 was my first and that mech was just gorgeous to watch, I really need that model kit, plus I'm a sucker for gattai sequences
2. Force Impulse Gundam-The Core Splendor was the coolest thing ever in Destiny even if the thing's transformation was pretty simplistic, damn shame that this suit was put to death by Lunamaria's hands just because Shinn had to upgrade to that crappy Destiny Gundam cause if anything Lunamaria needed it more than him due to her crap melee skills and might have actually not have sucked as a pilot if she swung around a huge ass sword that could take out battleships.
3. Zeta Gundam-Like I said I'm a sucker for transforming Gundams and even though Arios and Kyrios were cool and all, the Zeta just had some old school flair that I couldn't help but love.

So needless to say I'm excited to collect some Gunpla, UC DVD's, and the Gundam 00 movie no matter what any critics say (cause hey, Destiny Part 2 was entertaining if you didn't know what the hell happened in Seed or in the first half of Destiny...yeah I need to get on that Cosmic Era stuff too). So before I rant too much I just wanted to say hello to everyone on the boards.
Adrian10

Thetalpha; hi.

Three put-in Mobile Suit brokens, not safe.

I like ADS-01 and ADS-01C-1 Class ConstructionCrane mspaint.
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c124/ ... 1C-3-2.gif
Thermolysis

Hi everybody! I'm moving here from a Big O forum, which recently died. Credit goes to Wingnut for bringing me here.

I'm an animator. I look forward very much to contributing to this site and to this community through my art.

My humble online portfolio.
My DeviantArt page.

I enjoy every type of story, from Kimi ni Todoke to Gasaraki, if it is well crafted or strikes a chord with me. Military stories and romance will always occupy a special place in my heart. Mecha is not the main course for my imagination; it's more like a dessert. You might say I believe in combined arms in storytelling.

My favorite pastime of all is to learn history and over-analyze things into the ground. For that reason, I think I'll fit in quite well here. XD
This machine has undergone numerous refinements.
zabimustdie

I'm no good at these, so I'll be quick.

My name is Matt. I have been a mech fan for most of my life. Transformers, Robotech, Power Rangers (Megazords), and various other types throughout the years. I remember finding MAHQ, because of a Gundam/DBZ rpg I was in, in high school. I also searched at one point for Escaflowne mech specs. Good stuff. I started listening to Gundamn about 2 years ago, or less. Great show. I've bought about 15 Gundam kits, and various Revoltech and regular Bandai Gundam figures.

One thing I really look forward to is the Jehuty Revoltech due out this month, or next month. I still consider myself a mecha noob though. I haven't watched Votoms! Anywho, I'm glad this forum exists. Hopefully I'll find some gunpla tips here too.

Right, I'm a janitor, a gamer, a fantasy novel fan, otaku of sorts, a kung fu movie fan, and a wannabe writer too.
"Where there is no death, there is life." - Ghost in Chronopolis, Chrono Cross
crissio

A bit late for self introduction , but well , here I go ....

I have been lurking in mechatalk since a long time ago probably around the time when the main moderator in here was not Chris.( I forgot the name) However I wasn't joined until recently. I watched Voltus V, God Sigma, Voltron , Macross , Mazinger Z when I was a kid.
So yea, I am a long time die hard super robot fans. Not only that, I watched kamen rider series too. Back in my teenager days where there wasn't any internet technology before, I rented gundam 0079 trilogy movie, I really hooked with Gundam ever since.(still in the end, I only like UC gundam : 0079, Z, ZZ, and CCA ; did not care much about OVA). I played Super robot wars series , even I did not understand anything about Japanese language. Along anime, I also grew up with 8 bit console system, and manga. for video games, my favorite genre is RPG: of course, Dragon Quest series ,FF, SM RPG, Chrono Trigger, Xenogears, Tales series, etc. Played bunch of MMORPG too. I am a bit dissapointed with the current state of J-RPG, especially square after sakaguchi left.
I really like manga , at the point I read both shounen and shoujo manga. (I still haven't developed cynicism, and critical analysis back then that why I dig shoujo manga too).
Some of my chilhood manga: doraemon, candy candy, glass mask, mari chan, city hunter, tetsuwan atom, dbz, yuyu hakusho, and forgot the rest because its too much.
Yea, I am not from US , thats why I experienced things a bit different.
I watched Japanese Drama too. Hell, it looks like I consumed everything what Japan produced.
With a few exception though, for example I really hate naruto with passion, or anime that feels like watching hipster emo teenager bullshit for generation y. Note that its bit different than moe anime which I do not have a problem with that as long as its not excessive moe and fanservice.
In sort , I'm 100% Akihabara person, not shibuya, shinjuku, or harajuku.
(Out of topic: I have been wondering why bunch of self proclaimed otaku around me had called scott pilgrim as a nerd? he is not a nerd, he is hipster)
I am planning to go to Akihabara "the holy land" one day for my personal holy crusade.
I think that pretty much cover it all. I really like mechatalk forum because almost 70% poster in here really defines me :An Old school "nerd to the core" fans. 30% probably just some random hipster who wants to broaden and show off their shallow knowledges.
If otaku had a level , the average level of otakuness in mechatalk are around level 90-99.
Arbiter GUNDAM

How would Soul Bro say this? Welcome (officially) to the forums with more punch than Rocky Balboa!
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
kamillebidan2

Hi, I suck at introductions so here goes I've been a mecha fan for a year and a half(been an anime fan for about 11yrs). Just recently got into mecha anime such as macross series, gundam, getter robo series, gaogaigar, and LOGH. I've been listening to gundamn for a year which is what got me into mecha along with other podcast. I could be one of those statistics in which shyed away from mecha long ago, but since then I began to love mecha...actucally its 85% of what I watch, kinda funny. Well I joined here for a chance to meet other mecha fans as well and discuss them also. So if anyone wants to pm thanks nice to meet ya.
Jennuxia

Where to begin...

Hello all! I'm new, and I didn't see any introduction forum or threads, so I hope this isn't against the rules... Then again the rules didn't say anything about it, soo... Indeed!

Anyway, I was a little confused and overwhelmed. I usually just jump into the chatbox on new sites, but this one didn't have one, nor a welcome forum. I am a relatively new fan of mechs, and have only really watched Gundam Seed and Destiny so far of the Gundam series, but I intend to watch all of them eventually and NGE. I don't know much about anime, so help would be greatly appreciated. I'm becoming a rabid fan of the series, and with it mechs in general. I also love Armored Core 4 and downloaded the free versions of MechWarriors. I'm also a big fan of technology in general (Legion FTW!).

I must warn anyone who mentions Mass Effect, Resident Evil, Halo, Red vs Blue, Fallout 3, Firefly, Metroid, zombies in general, or any book written by James Rollins to... Just be warned.
If you like RPing over IRC, please check out my mecha roleplay! I need people!
http://mechagame.webs.com/
Mu La Flaga

Re: Where to begin...

Jennuxia wrote:Hello all! I'm new, and I didn't see any introduction forum or threads, so I hope this isn't against the rules... Then again the rules didn't say anything about it, soo... Indeed!

Anyway, I was a little confused and overwhelmed. I usually just jump into the chatbox on new sites, but this one didn't have one, nor a welcome forum. I am a relatively new fan of mechs, and have only really watched Gundam Seed and Destiny so far of the Gundam series, but I intend to watch all of them eventually and NGE. I don't know much about anime, so help would be greatly appreciated. I'm becoming a rabid fan of the series, and with it mechs in general. I also love Armored Core 4 and downloaded the free versions of MechWarriors. I'm also a big fan of technology in general (Legion FTW!).

I must warn anyone who mentions Mass Effect, Resident Evil, Halo, Red vs Blue, Fallout 3, Firefly, Metroid, zombies in general, or any book written by James Rollins to... Just be warned.
Welcome to mechatalk.
I bet you will like it here and the Gundam series is varied and interesting and there are other interesting series apart from Gundam ones alone.

So yeah that is all I have to say to greet you with.
The Big Zabowski

Yeah, late to the party as usual. Those that know me... know me. Those that don't:

- Started with Wing
- Mostly UC
- Fallout is mah sheet
- If Valks were real I'd probably be working on them rather than a 737

And yes.. I own a 2000 Pontiac Trans Am that just so happens to be a code 44U/WA408G Maple Red Metallic car.

All TRANS AM.. All the time. 8)
TRANS AM!
Yes, it's a V8.
Yes, it was a Trans Am before there was "TRANS AM."
Yes, it's mine. 8)
Jennuxia

Mu La Flaga wrote:
Welcome to mechatalk.
I bet you will like it here and the Gundam series is varied and interesting and there are other interesting series apart from Gundam ones alone.

So yeah that is all I have to say to greet you with.[/quote]
Thank you! I'm currently watching (and loving) Zeta Gundam and planning on starting FMP
The Big Zabowski wrote: - Fallout is mah sheet
I love Fallout! Haven't played NV yet, but when I get the money it's first on my list!
If you like RPing over IRC, please check out my mecha roleplay! I need people!
http://mechagame.webs.com/
The Big Zabowski

[quote="Jennuxia]
The Big Zabowski wrote: - Fallout is mah sheet
I love Fallout! Haven't played NV yet, but when I get the money it's first on my list![/quote]

Bought the pre-order release issue on PS3 (Classic Pack). Good lord was it buggy. The patches are fixing a few things (especially with the patch for Dead Money). I'd advise against picking it up just yet; it's still got some bad spots where you'll get stuck in the map or the whole game will lock up.

Even on the PC/Xbox versions.

Doesn't mean the game is bad, it REALLY makes Fallout 3 look.. out there.. not part of the series.

NV just seems to fit better into the franchise with the Black Isle vets working on the game. Especially when playing 1, 2, and Tactics in order.
TRANS AM!
Yes, it's a V8.
Yes, it was a Trans Am before there was "TRANS AM."
Yes, it's mine. 8)
Mu La Flaga

Full Metal Panic is a good series.
Fumoffu is skippable comedy sidestory one, then again if your in to that it's a good little thing to watch.
2nd Raid continues the story and yeah, end up rather interesting so far.