Twin Peaks Coming back

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
phillosmaster

Twin Peaks Coming back

This might be of interest to Chaos Theatre listeners since Pedro was brought up watching the show a couple episodes back.

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2 ... s-in-2016/

A 25 year timeskip picking up where the show left off is interesting to me. From the rumors I was expecting it to be a reboot. I'm excited if it really will be Lynch/Frost writing and Lynch directing every episode. The show really went south in the second season when those guys started to have little to no influence in the shows day to day operation. Plus I'd love to know what exactly happened in that last episode.
Even as we speak, the stealth bombers of the Brotherhood of Dada are swooping silently overhead. They’re using stealth bombs which level whole cities without even the slightest trace of noise or damage. Nothing remains of the world you knew and still you stand in the ruins, acting as if nothing has changed.
MrMarch

Re: Twin Peaks Coming back

Yeah, a bunch of the crew at the Slashfilm podcast were talking about this. I'm cautiously exited. Twin Peaks was popular at a time before I actually had any mature tastes in entertainment, so I kinda missed out on getting into it. Just too young at the time. But I think revisiting it could be done well. And there seems to be enough of a cult following + current generation retro interest in the property to make it work.
phillosmaster

The show went south after it got super popular because of politics on set between the actors and between the studio and the creative team. All that crap really compromised the story they wanted to tell. That's what drove Frost and Lynch away from what I understand. When Lynch left the show it lost his style and polish. If they can recapture the magic they had in the first season I'm definitely on board.

All that said the show is still entertaining. The over arching mythology of the series is pretty cool and inspired much of what came after it. I'd love to see the Black Lodge and the Red Room again. The movie Fire Walk With Me was actually pretty good, and featured David Bowie and Kiefer Sutherland in awesome roles. All the FBI agents are eccentric and awesome actually. That might have to do with the actors playing them: Kyle Maclachlan, David Lynch, Miguel Ferrer, Kiefer Sutherland, David Bowie, Chris Isaak, David Duchovny ... that's a pretty cool list.
Even as we speak, the stealth bombers of the Brotherhood of Dada are swooping silently overhead. They’re using stealth bombs which level whole cities without even the slightest trace of noise or damage. Nothing remains of the world you knew and still you stand in the ruins, acting as if nothing has changed.
Kenji

Honestly, I think the realization that it's coming back hasn't really hit me, yet.

My feelings have changed quite a bit, over time. At first, I was fond of the whole series and didn't really take well to Fire Walk With Me. Then, more recently, I find it hard to watch past Season 1 and FWWM has shot upward, in my esteem.

In any case, I am looking forward to it, but I guess it'll take a well-directed teaser (not really asking much, to be honest) before I start getting excited.
"This is the truth! This is my belief. At least for now."
YokozunaBulldozer

Is it true this is pre-internet Night Vale in a sense?
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
phillosmaster

I never listened to Night Vale. Is that a recommendation? This was 1990-1991 so the cancellation of the show coincided with the commercial rise of the internet.

I agree as time went on I started to appreciate FWWM much more. The Palmer murder stuff is okay, but the rest of the movie established so much more of the mythology. The Desmond and Stanley investigation, the Tremonds involvment, Philip Jeffries and his bizarre story, the question of MIKE's motivation and sincerity. Who was Judy anyway? What an enigmatic line. What was up with that Dugpa at the formica table meeting?

The second season of the TV series was not as well executed, but it does offer up much of the answers people were looking for in the form of Windom Earle's seemingly insane ramblings. Too bad most of his story ends up being more silly than menacing. Also you get to see David Duchovny as an FBI agent pre X-Files in the second season.
YokozunaBulldozer

phillosmaster wrote:I never listened to Night Vale. Is that a recommendation? This was 1990-1991 so the cancellation of the show coincided with the commercial rise of the internet.

I agree as time went on I started to appreciate FWWM much more. The Palmer murder stuff is okay, but the rest of the movie established so much more of the mythology. The Desmond and Stanley investigation, the Tremonds involvment, Philip Jeffries and his bizarre story, the question of MIKE's motivation and sincerity. Who was Judy anyway? What an enigmatic line. What was up with that Dugpa at the formica table meeting?

The second season of the TV series was not as well executed, but it does offer up much of the answers people were looking for in the form of Windom Earle's seemingly insane ramblings. Too bad most of his story ends up being more silly than menacing. Also you get to see David Duchovny as an FBI agent pre X-Files in the second season.
At first I went "what is this show?" but after marathoning a few episodes(which are 20~30 minutes per episode) I got into it.
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER