So... X-Men Days Of Future Past

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
phillosmaster

So... X-Men Days Of Future Past

I saw it over the weekend and I was really worried about this movie. Turns out I really liked it. I thought it was fun. I'm wondering if anyone else on the board saw it yet and what they thought.
Spoiler
Marvel is gonna have to beat that Quicksilver. He had one of the best scenes in the movie.

I don't know how the hell they will do an Apocalypse story next. That's just craziness. What story would they adapt? Age of Apocalypse? That seems too big for a movie. "Day's" benefits from being a relatively small story. I'm not sure I remember any other really memorable Apoc storyline.
Even as we speak, the stealth bombers of the Brotherhood of Dada are swooping silently overhead. They’re using stealth bombs which level whole cities without even the slightest trace of noise or damage. Nothing remains of the world you knew and still you stand in the ruins, acting as if nothing has changed.
Shinji103
Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship: Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks

Re: So... X-Men Days Of Future Past

I saw this movie on Satruday (was going to see it on Friday, but only the 3D showing was out for my theater) and I thought it was really good. X-Men First Class was pretty good too, which is what got me hyped up about DoFP, which largely centers around the cast from First Class more than the original trilogy. (though the cast from the original trilogy still gets a good chunk of screentime)
I don't know how others felt about it, but personally I like how
Spoiler
the new timeline brings back Jean and Cyclops. So if there's another movie, hopefully Cyclops will get the spotlight he was lacking so much in the latter two movies of the trilogy.
About the epilogue after the credits,
Spoiler
my X-Men knowledge is a bit (read: extremely) out of date. Is that telekinetic we see building the pyramids with her mind supposed to be somebody X-Men veterans know?
And yes,
Spoiler
Peter Maximoff in this movie was so awesome. :D A great mix of role with comedic spotlight. I especially loved his comment on his mom knowing "a guy good with metal" and Magneto's reaction to it. :D
phillosmaster

I read most of the x-men issues from the 70s, 80s and early 90s. I'm not up to date on modern x-men, but I can answer the end credit scene question.
Spoiler
They are chanting En Sabah Nur, which is Apocalypse's real name. Another clue is his four horsemen are in the hill behind him. He's the world's first mutant and practically immortal due to his scientific knowledge and the many mutant powers he's cultivated over the centuries. For most of the x-men run I read he was a mysterious villain poking around in the background. Around when I stopped reading he had his big event (Age Of Apocalypse), which shows you what the world would be like if Apocalypse won his fight against the x-men. It was a pretty cool story.

I am very happy that they brought Scott and Jean back. You need a happy ending for those character because I think the next movie will be the First Class era again (which makes me happy. I loved First Class). Also we need to wash that bad taste of X3 and X-Men Origins Wolverine out of our mouths.
Even as we speak, the stealth bombers of the Brotherhood of Dada are swooping silently overhead. They’re using stealth bombs which level whole cities without even the slightest trace of noise or damage. Nothing remains of the world you knew and still you stand in the ruins, acting as if nothing has changed.
angelwingzero

The movie was good, but I do take some issue with some things that make no damn sense like
Spoiler
How does Kitty Pryde have the power to send people's consciousness back in time? In the comic that was part of Rachel Grey's telepathic powers, but that's not even close to Kitty's powers.
and
Spoiler
Why didn't they let Quicksilver tag along for the rest of the movie? They leave him behind for no discernible reason. His power would be super helpful in a lot of situations, LIKE GRABBING MYSTIQUE BEFORE SHE CAN SHOOT TRASK ON THE WHITE HOUSE LAWN.
It's not that those things ruined the movie for me, but they didn't even attempt the usual handwaving away of conventional logic this time.

Also for the post credits scene:
Spoiler
That's En Sabah Nur, Apocalypse's form in ancient Egypt before he becomes Apocalypse. He also has his four horsemen in the background. The movie cast have never met him yet.
"So he's wearing an all black pilot suit and you put him in the CRAZY MACHINE. In the mental state that he's already in, does that seem like a good idea?" - My favorite Chris quote.
phillosmaster

Spoiler
Kitty is a victim of wanting Wolverine to have a big presence in the movie and wanting the movie to take place in the First Class era, which would take place before Kitty was born. I guess this is their way of keeping Kitty in the story. I would have been more angry if they wrote her out all together since it was really her story.
excalibur2008

phillosmaster wrote:
Spoiler
Kitty is a victim of wanting Wolverine to have a big presence in the movie and wanting the movie to take place in the First Class era, which would take place before Kitty was born. I guess this is their way of keeping Kitty in the story. I would have been more angry if they wrote her out all together since it was really her story.
Spoiler
So I take it the 90s X-men series version must have angered you since it did leave her out all together.
phillosmaster

excalibur2008 wrote:
phillosmaster wrote:
Spoiler
Spoiler
So I take it the 90s X-men series version must have angered you since it did leave her out all together.
Spoiler
Yeah I'm a pretty big Kitty fan :) I was pretty unhappy with that take on the story especially considering I also disliked Bishop as a character at the time. It took me a long time to warm up to him in the comics. There were too many "bad ass" time travelling characters in the 90s comics, and his power was pretty generic.

I appreciate that they referenced that old cartoon storyline though when they used Bishop here.
jems101

I watched X-men and i like the whole story of it! i love X-men ever since.
If you want it, come and get my united cutlery knives
excalibur2008

phillosmaster wrote:
excalibur2008 wrote:
phillosmaster wrote:
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Yeah I'm a pretty big Kitty fan :) I was pretty unhappy with that take on the story especially considering I also disliked Bishop as a character at the time. It took me a long time to warm up to him in the comics. There were too many "bad ass" time travelling characters in the 90s comics, and his power was pretty generic.

I appreciate that they referenced that old cartoon storyline though when they used Bishop here.
Spoiler
well 1) using Kitty Pryde in the 90s version would been weird since she never appeared in the 90s show, 2) actually it seems that whenever a Days of Future Past adaption is done Bishop is in it since in the Wolverine and the X-men version he was part of the apocalyptic future's X-men in that version, and 3) Ultimately Kitty not getting the main focus in this movie makes sense when you remember she only became a main character in X-men: The Last Stand, so suddenly being the main focus would likely confuse the audience.
phillosmaster

Spoiler
yeah I understand. It's just for such a major character in the comics she always seems to get shafted in the adaptations.
Dark Duel

Saw it a few days ago, and frankly I totally loved it, though IMHO James McAvoy is the one who really stole the show. His performance in this movie was downright amazing, and the brief conversation between him and Patrick Stewart about midway through was one of the movie's highlights for me.
Other than Quicksilver, who was just plain funny as well as awesome. Clearly though, this version of the character does NOT have the same background as Quicksilver in the comics. And that doesn't bother me at all.

But what amuses me quite a bit is that DoFP is basically a sequel to the original trilogy that, at the same time, seems to retcon a very significant portion of that trilogy.
And that last conversation between Patrick Stewart's Charles and Wolverine after the end of the time travel shenanigans?
Priceless.

All in all, personally my favorite installment of the franchise so far.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Kratos

I liked it a lot. I don't think it's as incredible as some are saying, but it was a blast to watch, and they finally managed to have their mutant cameos without clogging up the narrative - a bit of a problem in X-3, and to a lesser extent in First Class. It did some neat time stuff, but the contradictions that First Class has with the original 3 still exist.

I also think that this feels like a "third movie" - like there should be one between it and First Class. This is similar to how I felt about The Dark Knight - really good movie that seems to have gone through at least another film's worth of development since the first. I would have loved to watch a movie that deals with the parallel plots of Beast and Xavier starting a school while Magneto and Mystique start getting into political sabotage with the backdrop of Nam, where Stryker and trask learn about mutants and start making their move. That sounds awesome, and would lead into DoFP really well.

But yeah. Good movie. Not so great teaser at the end (a good teaser excites both the casual film audience and the comic buffs), but it'll be cool to see where they go with that nonetheless.
"The beast of opportunity finds its master and soars through a shaken cosmos"
MrMarch

Days of Future Past was a surprise hit, in my opinion. I enjoyed it as much as The Avengers. DofP is a great ensemble piece that is filled with strong performances all across the board, well-written female characters and a script that expertly weaves two full casts of X-men characters into a fulfilling narrative. The writing alone is an incredible achievement for this kind of film; we as the audience have often been programmed not to expect that kind of sophistication from a comic book script. The dialog might not always match the impressive character complexity, but it works in nearly all the scenes that matter.

I also agree with Kratos that to me, this is the X-Men trilogy I wanted. First Class wasn't bad, but now with the first TWO X-Men films and DofP, I feel Bryan Singer has unexpectedly created the X-Men film trilogy that I always wanted. I've recommended it to all my family and friends and almost everyone has fallen in love with it. The opinions I hear about it time and again are surprise, typically becuase most never expected this franchise to have anything left.
YokozunaBulldozer

It felt like they tried hard to clean up and I really liked it. Sure a few places may still have some stains but they did fine with what they were given.
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
phillosmaster

I smell a Cylon.

add: The Cylon was airlocked.