Pacific Rim the movie (2013) - Guillermo del Toro

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
kayone73

Pacific Rim the movie (2013) - Guillermo del Toro

Mentioned this in Neo's news thread, but GDT is directing and announced this new 'giant robots vs space aliens' Hollywood film at this years Comic Con 2012

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/1 ... 73742.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmVYCpKFNaI
Vent Noir

Re: Pacific Rim the movie (2013) - Guillermo del Toro

I remember posting something about this here a while ago. I'm looking forward to it.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
kayone73

Vent Noir wrote:I remember posting something about this here a while ago. I'm looking forward to it.
Search failed to produce your thread, so might as well start a fresh one since this is going to be anticipated by everyone here.
mysterE101v2
Location: A barren wasteland location on the edge of hell and infinty AKA NEW JERSEY!!!!!

This movie sound kind of good
“He who controls the past controls the future. He who controls the present controls the past.”

― George Orwell, 1984
South Burning

Stuff about this flick is all over the net, but the most interesting site is nerdist.com where they have a discussion of the art connected with the film and there is a great small poster you can download. (I have small pictures mounted on foamcore covering the wall behind my modeling table and this one is going up there.) I can't wait to see this movie!
schwarz ritter

South Burning wrote:Stuff about this flick is all over the net, but the most interesting site is nerdist.com where they have a discussion of the art connected with the film and there is a great small poster you can download. (I have small pictures mounted on foamcore covering the wall behind my modeling table and this one is going up there.) I can't wait to see this movie!
Thanks for the contribution. You have no idea how hyped I've been for this movie since I saw that poster in Blockbuster's FB page, and seeing all of this info just makes me even more impatient hehe.

I'm expecting great things from this movie myself, considering who's helming it (God del Toro). His work with Hellboy was superb if you ask me, and I wouldn't know anyone better to make the first modern live-action mecha film since Robot Jox.
Reinhard: "Of course, grades in school aren't a good indicator. They focus too much on memorization and imitation, and don't foster imagination."
Kircheis: "What you find important are imaginative and conceptual capabilities, right?"
Reinhard: "That's right."
Arbiter GUNDAM

Trailer is out now. All I gota say is.... ROCKET PUNCH!!!
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
DuelGundam2099

I haven't looked into anything related to Pacific Rim until today. With that said upon viewing the trailer....

One action scene and one monster? Sounds like it'll be like the Inglorious Bastards remake by that Tarintino guy that made the stripper vampire trilogy, what was that called again? Dawn to Dusk? Eh. Regardless it doesn't seem actiony.
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

My prediction: this movie will rock.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
speedstriker

Apparently it takes a Mexican nerd director and giant 80 meters robots fighting kaijus on the silver screen to awaken this account, but I completely agree with hawk there: this movie will definitely rock. Just the amount of love that's put into it shows that Del Toro really is a fan of the mecha and kaiju genre. Hell, that whole pacific rim and tectonic instability is pulled straight from Dai-Guard, but could also be a reference to Getter!
To the end of the GALAXY!!!!
Damn, why is this line so catchy?
Destiny_Gundam

... The mecha's OS is GLaDOS?

Humanity is screwed.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Soma Taozi
Location: Singing 'By Your Side' to a bunch of soldiers in Club Eden.

It's like Big O, Gundam, and Evengelion with GlaDOS and directed by Guillermo del Toro?

They might as well just take my money now.
:)
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
Vent Noir

Can the trailer make me look forward to this movie more than I already am?

Yes. Yes it can.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
Laevatein

DuelGundam2099 wrote:I haven't looked into anything related to Pacific Rim until today. With that said upon viewing the trailer....

One action scene and one monster? Sounds like it'll be like the Inglorious Bastards remake by that Tarintino guy that made the stripper vampire trilogy, what was that called again? Dawn to Dusk? Eh. Regardless it doesn't seem actiony.
Where'd you get the impression that it's one monster and one action scene? They already shown fighting different-looking monsters in that trailer and at least two different settings for the action (Japan and a snowy area.
Dark Duel

The headline for this article says it all:
Director Guillermo del Toro proves when giant robots fight giant monsters, we all win
Totally stoked for this one.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Soma Taozi
Location: Singing 'By Your Side' to a bunch of soldiers in Club Eden.

So this trailer got me excited, but I realized I had just about no idea what was going on...so after looking into the plot synopis, I am even more excited! After all, I have never disliked a movie Guillermo Del Toro has directed...produced is a different story...but he is still a perfect 10 for directed films.

The only thing I am worried about is the cliches, like the Earth Forces turning to 2 unlikely heroes...one of which is a washed up pilot (who is probably too old for this shit) and a untested trainee (who will probably be a loose-cannon or a wimp). And they term up piloting an obsolete Yeager from the past...

So it is basically an underdog story about 2 underdogs, who operate an underdog robot, to fight for humanities underdog survival.....still will watch it though :)
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
tHeWasTeDYouTh

I just saw the trailer

HOLY CRAP I AM GOING CRAZY

want it to come out already, the second I saw the trailer I came here

love you guys
YOU'RE MESHI
DAMNYOUYAMATOTAKERUNOMIKOTOOOOOO!
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Please movie, be as good as the trailer.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
KVLTIST

I REALLY hope there is official model kits for this movie or at least some enterprising garage kit makers will design some...

can't wait to see San Francisco get destroyed! the observation deck of my school overlooks the GG bridge and i've imagined it being the site of giant robot fights many a time in my mind, now i can see that in glorious IMAX!
KVLTIST KVSTMS