Pirates of the Caribbean Film Series

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
schwarz ritter

Pirates of the Caribbean Film Series

Nothing much to say but...ENJOY! :D Opinions on the movies (heck, even reviews) are allowed; character discussion, and whatnot.
Reinhard: "Of course, grades in school aren't a good indicator. They focus too much on memorization and imitation, and don't foster imagination."
Kircheis: "What you find important are imaginative and conceptual capabilities, right?"
Reinhard: "That's right."
Kei Katsuragi

Re: Pirates of the Caribbean Film Series

Loved the setting, and I thought the first movie was pretty enjoyable. The second movie was good, but it had some serious faults. The third movie ranks as one of the more painful cinematic experiences i have ever sat through. The fourth one just bored me :P
schwarz ritter

I would have to agree: it is historical fantasy-adventure at its best. Sad thing is that with each passing movie, they get more and more...bland, perhaps? And yet, I still find all of them hilarious.
Reinhard: "Of course, grades in school aren't a good indicator. They focus too much on memorization and imitation, and don't foster imagination."
Kircheis: "What you find important are imaginative and conceptual capabilities, right?"
Kei Katsuragi

I don't know if I would say "bland" (unless we are talking about the latest movie. That was very bland). The first movie was a fun pirate adventure, with one of Johnny Depp's more memorable portrayals of any characters he's done.

Now, the second movie tried to take itself more seriously, but they kept all the stupid jokes and gags from the first movie. I was an apologist of the second movie when it came out, because everyone was bashing it, but I have to agree the movie just needed to grow up.

The third movie was just cringe worthy. They kept trying to ramp up the serious drama but with all the same recurring gags; the dog with the keys, the two stooge pirates (one with the wooden eyeball), the two stooge British soldiers, the monkey and of course Will and Elizabeth who are so boring when compared to all the lively characters and dazzling visual effects that the movie presents. Hell the final battle in the twisting maw was the coolest pirate ship vs. ship battle I've ever seen, but they had to ruin in with all the dumb immature gags. Not to mention the movie's convoluted plot.... Overall this movie just gave me headache and I have never re-watched it since my initial viewing.

I'm not against tongue and cheek humor, sophomoric humor, or any kind of immaturity, but when they are attempting to tell a serious high-fantasy pirate story and feel the need to include things like that vomit inducing marriage scene in the final battle of the third movie... well, I just don't like it :-P
schwarz ritter

LOL I agree with Will and Elizabeth: felt to anime, IMO, lol. The first movie balanced its "seriousness" with the comedic stuff; that's why its the best so far.

At least the fourth one didn't have Elizabeth and Will...per se, at least.
Antares

As most people (elsewhere and here) have commented, first one was good despite my rabid dislike for Legol... I mean, Orlando Bloom. Depp was excellent pretty much throughout the trilogy.

Second movie had a bit of The Empire Strikes Back kinda vibe to it, setting up the third part of the (then) trilogy. The third movie started to fall over more often than its predecessors, and in the final battle it no longer could get up. The fight between the Pearl and the Dutchman was excellent, the "killing the Super Star Destroyer to rout the rest of the fleet" that followed it was not. Orlando Bloom got stabbed (yay!) but came back (boo!) but at least was cursed (meh).

The fourth one... sucked. :mrgreen: Depp just couldn't carry the whole thing when it was clear all that Disney wanted was to cash in one las time on the franchise.
-We will not be caught by surprise!
*Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words.
-Then I am glad once again that you are on my side.
*They've often said that too.
schwarz ritter

Well, I'm a little biased when it comes to the fourth one, as the Spaniard basically kicks ass with his flamboyant attitude.

But I still agree it could've been better. Still, I love all of them.