Are American cartoon popular in Japan like Anime in the US?

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
tHeWasTeDYouTh

Are American cartoon popular in Japan like Anime in the US?

When I was a little kid I remember watching Samurai Jack, Dexter's Laboratory, Superman: The Animated Series, Batman: The Animated Series, Justice League, Justice League Unlimited, X-Men: Evolution, X-Men: The Animated Series, Spiderman along with many of the animated movies(Iron Giant, Titan A.E(LOL) which have high production value.

Does anyone know if people in Japan enjoy these shows? or is it one way love?

(I am not taking summer classes so I have been watching all the Justice League episodes, brings back memories of being home and watching it with my dad)
YOU'RE MESHI
DAMNYOUYAMATOTAKERUNOMIKOTOOOOOO!
Vent Noir

Re: Are American cartoon popular in Japan like Anime in the

There are some American cartoons that have been shown over there. I know the Disney movies tend to be very successful in Japan. On the other hand, there was a poll done a few years ago in Japan of the 100 most popular animated TV shows of all time, and the only non-Japanese cartoon to make the list was Tom and Jerry. I also believe that one of the reasons Demashitaa! Powerpuff Girls Z got made was due to Japanese free-to-air TV stations refusing to air the American Powerpuff Girls cartoon because it was non-Japanese (despite it being quite popular on pay TV).

If you can hunt down a copy, in the mid-90s Antarctic Press once published a one-shot comic/magazine called Justice focusing on Japanese fandom of American comics. I got the impression that American comics were about as popular in Japan as manga was in America at the same time (i.e. not very big). Things may have changed since then - I know that the Kick-Ass comic managed to get nominated for a Seiun Award.

EDIT: A list of American cartoons that I know have aired in Japan:

Tom & Jerry
GI Joe
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Transformers (various series)
X-Men (90s)
The Powerpuff Girls
Kim Possible
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
J-Lead

I know Avatar has a very niche fanbase over there.

Ironically, the people that do like it seem to prefer to watch it in english, although that might have something to do with the Japanese dub being almost comically bad...
"I'd show Loni the power my parents gave me if you know what I mean."
Vent Noir

J-Lead wrote:I know Avatar has a very niche fanbase over there.

Ironically, the people that do like it seem to prefer to watch it in english, although that might have something to do with the Japanese dub being almost comically bad...
"Oh noes! They destroyed the purity of the original English by dubbing it in Japanese!"
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
schwarz ritter

Vent Noir wrote:

"Oh noes! They destroyed the purity of the original English by dubbing it in Japanese!"

Ironic, isn't it? LOL
Reinhard: "Of course, grades in school aren't a good indicator. They focus too much on memorization and imitation, and don't foster imagination."
Kircheis: "What you find important are imaginative and conceptual capabilities, right?"
Reinhard: "That's right."
J-Lead

schwarz ritter wrote:
Vent Noir wrote:

Ironic, isn't it? LOL
Spoiler
Apparently, a lot of them are Zutards.
schwarz ritter

Most likely because he's all "conflicted" and crap. Are they Azulatards as well? I mean, Nena was super-popular over there, so I wouldn't be surprised...
Reinhard: "Of course, grades in school aren't a good indicator. They focus too much on memorization and imitation, and don't foster imagination."
Kircheis: "What you find important are imaginative and conceptual capabilities, right?"
ShadowCell

i think My Little Pony has something of a following in Japan

then again My Little Pony has something of a following everywhere
schwarz ritter

You're right: even 40-year old adults collect that stuff! *facepalm* Not that there's anything wrong with it...
J-Lead

schwarz ritter wrote:Most likely because he's all "conflicted" and crap. Are they Azulatards as well? I mean, Nena was super-popular over there, so I wouldn't be surprised...
No, Zutards.
schwarz ritter

I know what Zutard means. I was asking if Japan was also a haven of Azula fans like me. I used Nena Trinity as an example of how Japan seems to love psycho-ZOINKS (although Azula ISN'T a ZOINKS).
Kenji

The Friendship is Magic case is interesting, because while there's a following, it's nothing like the American one.

If I had to put money on the cause, that's because the show's effect in America is fairly unique. There hasn't really been a girl's show in America that the boys can latch on to. No real "moe" shows in America, either. The imports from Japan count so little as to be meaningless, given the shrinking footprint-in-general anime has over here. So, being more or less the only game in town, anyone who would be interested in a show like this becomes interested in this particular show.

Meanwhile, in Japan, it's a tree to be lost in the forest. Not only are there so many more shows that fit this general profile, but many of those shows are actually being made for the periphery demographic (that is, men). Friendship is Magic, no matter its Internet fanbase, is and will continue to be a show for young girls.

This difference in intended audience, combined with the glut of shows with potentially similar appeal, would make it easy for a show that only obliquely gets at that appeal to be lost in the crowd.
"This is the truth! This is my belief. At least for now."