Community (NBC)

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
kayone73

Community (NBC)

Searched but couldn't find a dedicated thread on this series. One of my favorite sitcoms on TV right now, unfortunatley Sony Studios is really giving it the screw over. This bad news broke over the past weekend

Oh no, so not cool

http://www.nerdist.com/2012/05/will-you ... community/
So, this happened.

Late Friday, Dan Harmon was dropped as showrunner of Community. For a show which is for all practical purposes tied directly to one person’s creative vision, the news portends change, and the quirks that endeared the show to its rabid cult following are in danger of being ironed out in favor of a more conventional sitcom approach. Or not — nobody can say exactly how this will play out. The only thing certain is that it won’t play out with Dan Harmon in charge, or involved at all.

As you’d expect from him, Dan wrote a candid Tumblr post about his departure from the show overnight, so if you want to get his take on the firing, you should go here — as customary from Dan, it’s a good read and, as always, he doesn’t hold back much. And then, come back here and post your thoughts. Will you watch? Will you give the new guys a chance? Can a show that’s the radically singular vision of its creator survive a change at the top? Compare and contrast: Doctor Who and The Simpsons (showrunner changes, long-term survival) vs. The West Wing and NYPD Blue (showrunner changes, not so good). Post your first impressions here. I don’t have to tell you to be civil, do I?
Last edited by kayone73 on Wed May 23, 2012 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
Administrator

Re: Community (NBC)

NBC had nothing to do with firing Dan Harmon because they don't produce the show. The decision was made by Sony.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
kayone73

Chris wrote:NBC had nothing to do with firing Dan Harmon because they don't produce the show. The decision was made by Sony.
Fair enough, substitute 'NBC' with 'Sony'. I'll make the edits.
Soma Taozi
Location: Singing 'By Your Side' to a bunch of soldiers in Club Eden.

Funny I just mentioned this, but I LOVE Community and as long as the story remains good, characters remain consistent, and the story remains hilarious I will watch it. I hope the best for the show and for Dan, as it is easily one of the best shows on TV...even though I hear rumors just about everyday about it being cancelled. As Abed has said repeatedly, "6 Seasons and a movie." So I will keep my figures crossed.
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
Chris
Administrator

I'll watch it and hope for the best, but expect the worst. Without Dan Harmon around to keep the show weird and original, I expect that Sony and NBC will want to change the show and make it a Big Bang ripoff to reach a mainstream audience.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
The Fowl Sorcerous

at this point it's not just Harmon, but two key writers and a pair of directors have left the project. i have low hopes for this abortive final season.

and it's been moved into the friday night death slot. great.
[[lorem ipsum]]
kayone73

The Fowl Sorcerous wrote:at this point it's not just Harmon, but two key writers and a pair of directors have left the project. i have low hopes for this abortive final season.

and it's been moved into the friday night death slot. great.
Ouch....didn't realize that happened to. But if those guys walked off the project intentionally because of Harmon's dismissal, I respect them for that.

Feel sorry for the cast members, but at least they'll be earning their paychecks. Publicly I know they won't be able to make a single honest comment about the change until the show ends and they're free of any legal reprecussion, but I know that will be the first thing interviewers will ask them once the show ends its final season.

A friend of mine works as a lawyer in Sony Studio's legal dept for their music division at the Culver City HQ, I jokingly told him if he were to pass by any of their TV execs in the office, to kindly tell them to go f*** themselves from the fans of the show. Made me feel a little better.
Wedge14

Sure they've fired all the creative talent, put it on a friday night, and has it paired with that AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Whitney Show, but it still has Annie's Boobs. And that's good enough for me!

(probably gonna be better then the simpsons atleast)
RPG Trinary:Creepy Zeon Magician

I'm cool, just ask anybody.

Oh and check out the RPG Section!
Soma Taozi
Location: Singing 'By Your Side' to a bunch of soldiers in Club Eden.

Perfect cast doing perfect things...this is the response to why Community is being held up :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LV7M_We ... e=youtu.be
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
MechLife

Soma Taozi wrote:Funny I just mentioned this, but I LOVE Community and as long as the story remains good, characters remain consistent, and the story remains hilarious I will watch it. I hope the best for the show and for Dan, as it is easily one of the best shows on TV...even though I hear rumors just about everyday about it being cancelled. As Abed has said repeatedly, "6 Seasons and a movie." So I will keep my figures crossed.
Exactly. I'll keep following a series as long as it doesn't discredit the original and is still a good show from an objective basis, not comparing it to the earlier seasons.