Ralph McQuarrie (1929-2012)

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
Wingnut

Ralph McQuarrie (1929-2012)

http://www.starwars.com/news/ralph_mcqu ... bered.html
"I am deeply saddened by the passing of such a visionary artist and such a humble man. Ralph McQuarrie was the first person I hired to help me envision Star Wars. His genial contribution, in the form of unequaled production paintings, propelled and inspired all of the cast and crew of the original Star Wars trilogy. When words could not convey my ideas, I could always point to one of Ralph's fabulous illustrations and say, 'Do it like this.'

"Beyond the movies, his artwork has inspired at least two generations of younger artists—all of whom learned through Ralph that movies are designed. Like me, they were thrilled by his keen eye and creative imagination, which always brought concepts to their most ideal plateau. In many ways, he was a generous father to a conceptual art revolution that was born of his artwork, and which seized the imaginations of thousands and propelled them into the film industry. In that way, we will all be benefiting from his oeuvre for generations to come. Beyond that, I will always remember him as a kind and patient, and wonderfully talented, friend and collaborator."

—George Lucas

McQuarrie's expansive body of work — including character, creature, vehicle, and setting designs for A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi — has left an indelible mark on the world's imagination, creating what can only be called the unmistakable 'Star Wars aesthetic.'
That last paragraph after Lucas's quote really says it all. Thanks to him a whole style of western science-fiction looks and feels the way it does. That's quite the mark to leave on the world long after you're gone.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
zabimustdie

Re: Ralph McQuarrie (1929-2012)

Its amazing how long I took for granted the art from Star Wars. It is truly and thing to be grateful for that he drew all of that stuff. Sometimes the internet has its downsides when great art can fall so easily to the background. Sucks that it takes his death for me to take notice again.
"Where there is no death, there is life." - Ghost in Chronopolis, Chrono Cross
Red Comet90

I can't believe he past away. A lot of his original concepts for Star Wars were interesting. Shame that he passed away. :cry:
The proof of our might will forever be etched in your minds.

-- Haman Karn
nacho-wan

Well it is the nature way of things. People pass, but legacy's like McQuarrie's will live on as long as Star Wars keeps itself alive in the popular culture.
Aun cuando mil millones de personas acepten una idea absurda, sigue siendo absurda.
Although a thousand million people accept an absurd idea, it still is an absurd idea
-Henry I. Miller