Prometheus New Full Trailer

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
Soma Taozi
Location: Singing 'By Your Side' to a bunch of soldiers in Club Eden.

Prometheus New Full Trailer

Can you saying fucking intense? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5vPHn97 ... ture=share

Honestly I am surprised no one has brought this up or made a thread.

I am a huge Alien fan (don't talk to me about AVP or AVPR), but I have watched all the Alien films and loved them all...even the 3rd one, which many don't like. The Fourth Movie was okay...I am not the biggest fan, but it is interesting to see where Joss Wheden got his idea for Firefly through the crew during Resurrection. It's execution was just done wrong and the director for that film was just...well...weird.

However, with the original director back, and planning to take this Prequel in new and interesting directions...I am so excited. Ridley Scott is the best choice for this movie. I know some fans will be disappointed, but Ridley has said that the Alien will have a very SMALL role in this film, because they have been so used up in pop culture that it isn't scary anymore...which is true.

He also was quoted in saying that he just wants to make a "fucking good movie." This trailer was epic! I am really looking forward to this movie! Anyone else? Thoughts? Opinions?
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
ZGMF-X28A Nu-Liberty

Re: Prometheus New Full Trailer

As a ridiculous fan of both Alien and Predator - I often pretend that Resurrection and the two AvP films never happened and that David Fincher won the day with his cut of Alien 3 - I am equally ridiculously excited for Ridley's return to the franchise he helped create.

What really sold Prometheus for me was the following:
1) He's put together a solid cast of proven actors and actresses.
2) He's tackling something fans have wanted to know ever since the first Alien came out in '79 - the Space Jockeys and their importance in continuity.
3) The visuals look like a relatively solid mix of the "used future" look Ridley created for the first Alien while taking advantage of modern effects and CGI tech without going completely overboard like Jim Cameron did with Avatar...

Anyway, this is the only film I'm taking a weekend off work for to see. And I work at a movie theater. xD
"That's the problem with plutonium, Craven; it's limited in its application. It's not user-friendly. But as a vehicle for regaining one's self-respect; oh, it's got a lot going for it!"
- Darius Jedburgh, Edge of Darkness, Episode 6, Fusion
Toxicity

Looks awesome, can't wait to see it.
kayone73

Soma Taozi wrote:Can you saying ZOINKS intense? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5vPHn97 ... ture=share

Honestly I am surprised no one has brought this up or made a thread.

I am a huge Alien fan (don't talk to me about AVP or AVPR), but I have watched all the Alien films and loved them all...even the 3rd one, which many don't like. The Fourth Movie was okay...I am not the biggest fan, but it is interesting to see where Joss Wheden got his idea for Firefly through the crew during Resurrection. It's execution was just done wrong and the director for that film was just...well...weird.
Thank you, I was thinking this exactly, all the other forums I'm on have been discussing this film for at least the last 6 months, I was beginning to think mechatalk lived in some alternate world where this film did not exist.
schwarz ritter

So I just read a summary (stupid me, reading spoilers arrghh!) and it sounds...just like I expected. I'm really excited to actually WATCH this. So yeah, I'm really excited, even though I know how it will all turn out.

I'm also surprised this thread has so many replies! Shame on you, mechatalk! JK
Reinhard: "Of course, grades in school aren't a good indicator. They focus too much on memorization and imitation, and don't foster imagination."
Kircheis: "What you find important are imaginative and conceptual capabilities, right?"
Reinhard: "That's right."
Kratos

I've seen the movie. It's awesome. I'm glad I didn't read any plot summaries (or even watch any trailers beyond the first one), but I don't think that will ruin the movie for anyone. It's pretty rare that we're treated to sci-fi this good.
"The beast of opportunity finds its master and soars through a shaken cosmos"
schwarz ritter

Damn you, Kratos! I have to wait until June 15th! I envy you.
Reinhard: "Of course, grades in school aren't a good indicator. They focus too much on memorization and imitation, and don't foster imagination."
Kircheis: "What you find important are imaginative and conceptual capabilities, right?"
Antares

Ditto, seen it. There was an interesting article in Newsweek on why many blockbusters this year (e.g. Battleship in May) have opened here in Old Europe earlier than in the states.

Like Kratos, I will refrain from commenting Prometheus at this time so I don't ruin it for anyone either, but I will disagree with this assesment ("sci-fi this good"). Then again, I am, I believe, a notorious complainer by now, so no shock to anyone. ;)
-We will not be caught by surprise!
*Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words.
-Then I am glad once again that you are on my side.
*They've often said that too.
Soma Taozi
Location: Singing 'By Your Side' to a bunch of soldiers in Club Eden.

I saw it a few days ago! Prometheus was very good and I am looking forward to the sequel(s?) (unless I am mistaken there is supposed to be at least another one?) which will hopefully bridge the gap between these movies and Alien...but this movie was very unexpected...I knew I was going to like it, so i just sat back and let the movie take me in and good lord...I normally let things I like by me dinner first, but I think I am going to break my rule with this film.

Of course, with such a great cast and universe to work with...it was almost no way Ridley Scott could make a TERRIBLE film anyway.
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
Kratos

You'd be surprised - this movie is getting plenty of negative reactions online. It certainly seems to be a polarising film.
ZGMF-X28A Nu-Liberty

Time for my two cents. I was fortunate enough to get a front-row seat to the midnight premiere of Prometheus - in IMAX 3D no less - at the theater I work at.

I felt it was an excellent film. It did its job well, it asked questions with no easy answers and left the final ending open to interpretation (as well as providing a sequel hook) which I admit I'm partial to. It was packed with moments of raw intensity, especially during THAT scene (those who have seen the film, you know what I speak of) - the only film that invoked that kind of horror in me prior to Prometheus was Cannibal Holocaust. Don't ask, please.

The cast did a good job of carrying the film along with some good performances (even though I'll admit I thought some of the background characters were underdeveloped) all around. For me personally, special kudos to Noomi Rapace for her performance as Shaw and of course, Michael Fassbender for providing possibly the most complex android character in the Alien franchise.

Visually, the film was an utter masterpiece. The designs of the Prometheus, LV-223, the Engineers' bio-mechanical technologies (especially their suits, seeing as it solves the mystery of the Space Jockey's elephantine appearance) and the return of the "Derelict" (at least in terms of design) were all treats. Though I'm slightly confused as to why every human weapon spewed blue fire with each shot. XD

Anyway, to sum it up, Prometheus is proof that Ridley Scott still has the touch. Personally, I want a sequel to tie up loose ends.
"That's the problem with plutonium, Craven; it's limited in its application. It's not user-friendly. But as a vehicle for regaining one's self-respect; oh, it's got a lot going for it!"
- Darius Jedburgh, Edge of Darkness, Episode 6, Fusion
Arbiter GUNDAM

I would like to see a sequel but I thought it was great. But Alien and Aliens still scared me more. ;)
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
schwarz ritter

ZOINKS it! I'm driving all the way to Portugal to watch this film! It's ridiculous: it came out there two days ago! Guess when it's coming out in Spain? AUGUST! WTF! So yeah, I'm going to Lisbon, just to watch this film.

EDIT: New interesting stuff http://www.prometheusforum.net/discussi ... ark-angels
Antares

Kratos is right about this being a polarizing film. Like I said, I griped about it mostly because I had (unreasonably?) high expectations of it.

It did have that very intesive scene, I admit. I am fairly sure I know what Nu-Liberty is referring to.

Scott still has the touch, but one would've expected a more thorough plot-construction (i.e. had what I thought was silly plot-devices) and deeper characters (aside from Rapace and Fassbender). Because many have called this film an exceptional piece of sci-fi in terms of depth, I would like to ask in the spirit of a measured discussion, what did you find so deep about it? Nu-Liberty at least said "it asked questions with no easy answers", and since I didn't have quite the same experience, I'm curious. :)

However, I can at least wholeheartedly agree with all the praises on set design and visuals/audio.
Kratos

I'm a big fan of how its characters acted in stupid ways and how the various horrific things that happened were never really explained. That isn't even sarcasm: the latter really enhanced the feeling of alien horror that the movie has and the feeling of how small the crew ultimately is, and as for the former (which is a common complaint)...sometimes people do stupid things. Even people who are supposed to be very smart.
Compass

It was a decent movie, but the pacing felt off. Like, I didn't really feel that the movie "wrapped" things up except for that one scene at the end.

There are a LOT of questions that I have.

Basically, I felt that, for all the build-up and initial tension, the ending of the film didn't feel very satisfying.

Aliens, for example, kept that tension going, then dropped us in the Solaco, and we're all happy and relaxing. BOOM, alien queen appears and fight vs heavy lifter and an airlock.

This one, there wasn't very much in terms of scary things. Tense moments, yes, but scary, not really. The prime antagonist, for example, isn't very scary. Neither were any of the secondary antagonists.

The Xenomorphs and Predators on the other hand, are both scary regardless of how you look at them.
Watching: Black Bullet, The World is Still Beautiful, Brynhildr in the Darkness, Captain Earth, The Irregular at Magic High School
Quick Picks that ended Last Season: Gundam Build Fighters!!! Buddy Complex
Kenji

Kratos wrote:as for the former (which is a common complaint)...sometimes people do stupid things. Even people who are supposed to be very smart.
Gross stupidity that defies natural selection happens in real life, but it rings hollow and can really take the audience out of the experience. To put it shortly, we can't be so appalled by stupidity that we leave this world and go looking for another, more realistic one; however, we can put down a book or leave a theater. That's why the writer's job is harder than God's. :)

For my part,
Spoiler
petting the worm-cobra
was easily one of the weakest parts of the film.
"This is the truth! This is my belief. At least for now."
Compass

Kenji wrote:
Kratos wrote:as for the former (which is a common complaint)...sometimes people do stupid things. Even people who are supposed to be very smart.
Gross stupidity that defies natural selection happens in real life, but it rings hollow and can really take the audience out of the experience. To put it shortly, we can't be so appalled by stupidity that we leave this world and go looking for another, more realistic one; however, we can put down a book or leave a theater. That's why the writer's job is harder than God's. :)

For my part,
Spoiler
petting the worm-cobra
was easily one of the weakest parts of the film.
Spoiler
Darwin wrote something about this. Clearly the biologist missed that part of his biology class
Watching: Black Bullet, The World is Still Beautiful, Brynhildr in the Darkness, Captain Earth, The Irregular at Magic High School
Quick Picks that ended Last Season: Gundam Build Fighters!!! Buddy Complex
Antares

Exactly what Kenji said in spoiler tags. That was my case-in-point about lazy writing to facilitate the plot moving forward.

I do have to say the movie has improved upon later reflection when one is not just primarily feeling let down by (its writing). I think I will give it a second chance later on.
kayone73

ZGMF-X28A Nu-Liberty wrote:Time for my two cents. I was fortunate enough to get a front-row seat to the midnight premiere of Prometheus - in IMAX 3D no less - at the theater I work at.

I felt it was an excellent film. It did its job well, it asked questions with no easy answers and left the final ending open to interpretation (as well as providing a sequel hook) which I admit I'm partial to. It was packed with moments of raw intensity, especially during THAT scene (those who have seen the film, you know what I speak of) - the only film that invoked that kind of horror in me prior to Prometheus was Cannibal Holocaust. Don't ask, please..
I agree with your review for the most part. I thought visually and stylistically....absolutely gorgeous. Great mood & atmosphere. The film definitely has the feel that its best seen in an uncut version, at least 20-30 min longer for it to make better sense. The film definitely shows the problems with a studio mandated cutback of time to 2 hrs for ticket sales purposes. I will definitely rewatch this on DVD/bluray when the Directors Cut or Uncut version comes out.

Now slightly off topic, I'm sorry but are you saying you were fortunate to get any seat at all for the midnight showing on premiere night or that you wanted to get a front row seat to an IMAX screening, because IMHO, front row is the absolute worst place to try to watch a film on a screen that large.