Avengers film 2012

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
SNT1

Re: Avengers film 2012

It sets a ridiculously high bar for opening weekends. I wonder if anything can come close to it this year? (Batman?)
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/
hitokirigarou

Rewatched the film. Noticed some things:

- Project Pegasus. In the comics, it's a facility that specializes in alternate forms of energy and research into parallel universes.
- Tony Stark mentions a life model decoy (LMD).
- Tony Stark wears a Black Sabbath shirt. Black Sabbath has a song called "Iron Man".
- Odin's ravens, Hugin and Munin, are shown in the scene with Thor and Loki in the wilderness.
- The Tesseract is sentient (revealed to be a "she" by Selvig), just like in the comics.
- Coulson's BFG is made from the Destroyer.
- Thor's three "different" costumes referencing the original comic, Ultimate and current comic costumes.
- The gigantic cybernetic alien fish could be the Acanti. They are part of Ultimate Thanos' forces.
- Harry Dean Stanton's character asking Bruce Banner if he was an alien. The actor was in the Alien film.
- Senator Boynton. In the comics, he tried to discredit Iron Man during the Armor Wars arc.
- The stylized "A" on Stark Tower as the only letter left, referencing the comics' Avengers Tower.
- The blueprint for the new Avengers headquarters (Avengers Tower?) has a floor planned for each Avenger, each with their own logo.

Clark Gregg confirmed that he's signed on for six Marvel films so he has two more to go (rumored to to be Iron Man 3 and Nick Fury). He did say he wasn't going to be in these planned movies (so far): Ant-Man, Doctor Strange, Namor, Black Panther, Inhumans and Guardians of the Galaxy.

Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver are confirmed to be part of the MCU but their mutant origins and connection to Magneto will be removed.
kayone73

I feel sorry for the non North Americans who saw the early version of the finished film and didn't get the final bonus scene post credits.
Spoiler
All the Avengers sitting around a table in a wrecked shawarma shop munching on sandwiches in exhausted silence.
Cardi Doorl

I'd actually wondered why there was apparently no bonus scene, since I understood these movies usually have them. Now I know :S
RPG TRINARY: Gaia
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: Cardi Doorl

Make sure to check out the RPG section!
kayone73

Cardi Doorl wrote:I'd actually wondered why there was apparently no bonus scene, since I understood these movies usually have them. Now I know :S
There were TWO bonus scenes, but the rest of the world only got scene #1 mid way thru the credits (you didn't sit thru them at all)?

The second bonus scene was only filmed 3 wks before the world premier in April where they rounded up the entire cast again and got them in costume. There was no time to add this bonus scene to the intl release and it was added exclusively to the N American theater versions only. You'll probably see it as a DVD extra.
Arbiter GUNDAM

kayone73 wrote:
Cardi Doorl wrote:I'd actually wondered why there was apparently no bonus scene, since I understood these movies usually have them. Now I know :S
There were TWO bonus scenes, but the rest of the world only got scene #1 mid way thru the credits (you didn't sit thru them at all)?

The second bonus scene was only filmed 3 wks before the world premier in April where they rounded up the entire cast again and got them in costume. There was no time to add this bonus scene to the intl release and it was added exclusively to the N American theater versions only. You'll probably see it as a DVD extra.
That's probably why they look so tired and grumpy in that scene. :)
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Dark Duel

Oh, there was more? I left after the first one, in which Thanos showed up.
But anyway, I just saw this movie, and I thought I'd share a few thoughts.
1. First off, Mark Ruffalo replacing Ed Norton did not bug me nearly as much as I thought it would; actually, it didn't bug me at all.
2. The character dynamic between Cap and Iron Man is exactly what I hoped it would be like, and more
3. Black Widow and Hawkeye are my favorite characters in this movie.
Further thoughts in spoiler tags in the event someone here still hasn't seen this (unlikely as it is):
Spoiler
HOLY FREAKING CRAP sums up my reaction to Black Widow's first appearance. The amount of ass that chick can kick while tied hands and feet to a chair simply defies reason, and is awesome. And she doesn't even have to physically kick your ass either, as shown when she literally conned Loki into telling her what she needed to know.
The Cap/Iron Man v. Thor team-up was pretty amusing, and the final battle was all kinds of epic, but I think for sheer hilarity nothing in this movie beats Hulk v. Loki. That was both badass and hilarious. Also, the scene when Cap takes charge and starts giving orders to the others, and he turns to Hulk...
"Hulk? Smash." And the Hulk gets that grin on his face...pure awesomeness.
Iron man nuking the Chitauri flagship-giant-carrier-thing was pretty cool too, as was his switching mid-fall into the new MkVII Armor. And his pulling the Jonah gag. Actually, there's very little he did in this movie that wasn't awesome - his conversation with Loki even, was freaking awesome.
I also loved seeing Black Widow fight against the Chitauri during the final battle, more than once using one of their own weapons against them, which was great.
Finally, I like everyone else, I think, mourn the tragic death of SHIELD Agent Phil Coulson.
Awesome beyond all reason, this movie was. I LOVED EVERY SECOND OF IT.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
kayone73

Dark Duel wrote:
Spoiler
HOLY FREAKING CRAP sums up my reaction to Black Widow's first appearance. The amount of ass that chick can kick while tied hands and feet to a chair simply defies reason, and is awesome. And she doesn't even have to physically kick your ass either, as shown when she literally conned Loki into telling her what she needed to know.
The Cap/Iron Man v. Thor team-up was pretty amusing, and the final battle was all kinds of epic, but I think for sheer hilarity nothing in this movie beats Hulk v. Loki. That was both badass and hilarious. Also, the scene when Cap takes charge and starts giving orders to the others, and he turns to Hulk...
"Hulk? Smash." And the Hulk gets that grin on his face...pure awesomeness.
Iron man nuking the Chitauri flagship-giant-carrier-thing was pretty cool too, as was his switching mid-fall into the new MkVII Armor. And his pulling the Jonah gag. Actually, there's very little he did in this movie that wasn't awesome - his conversation with Loki even, was freaking awesome.
I also loved seeing Black Widow fight against the Chitauri during the final battle, more than once using one of their own weapons against them, which was great.
Finally, I like everyone else, I think, mourn the tragic death of SHIELD Agent Phil Coulson.
Awesome beyond all reason, this movie was. I LOVED EVERY SECOND OF IT.
I definitely got choked up at
Spoiler
Agent Coulson's death. He was always sort of a moral compass in the franchise and never seemed overwhelmed in a world of super powered beings. His last strike against Loki was a good one.
I also was annoyed that Ed Norton was recast but that was partly his own fault, he and Marvel Studios had a big meltdown which ended with both of them mutually telling each other to f*** off. He pretty much burned his bridge with Marvel after that. Still, Ruffalo is such a great character actor and ADORED by fans of the Indie movie scene. It's great to see him shine in a big A-list popcorn blockbuster. He did really well with playing Banner.
Dark Duel

He DID do EXTREMELY WELL, and really made the character his own in a way. On top of having one of, if not THE most hilarious scene/line in the entire movie.

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
kayone73

Not to nitpick, but technically Lou Ferrigno voiced all the Hulk lines like he did in the previous movie.
Dark Duel

Yeah, that's true - sort of; According to Chris Boyes(who did the sound editing for Avengers) the Hulk's voice in Avengers is actually a blend of, essentially, Mark Ruffalo and Lou Ferrigno. So they both voiced Hulk (though the Hulk movies IIRC was all Big Lou voicing, as Mark's Banner puts it, "the other guy")
Regardless, that line was still friggin' hilarious.

Koshernova

I have no words. I'm not a massive fan of the Avengers, and I was very resistant to even the idea of Iron Man movies at first. But I'm sold. And I'm a bit of a Whedon fan, and the film had a lot of his signature moments, as well as good, quality writing.

I am frankly amazed at the fact every character got time in the spotlight. Of course, Iron Man got more than the rest, but even newcomers got good scenes. Personally, I'd love a Hawkeye/Black Widow film. And a Hulk film with Mark Ruffalo.

Also, since I'm not well-versed in Avengers lore, I was unaware Loki was a big enemy of the group (rather than just Thor's), so when I first saw Loki was the villain, I was all 'that's it?'. My avatar is a clear testament to me being incredibly goddamn wrong. My only complaint about the film is that the Chitauri (are they the skrulls?) are just kinda mindless enemies and have little motivation. However, I'm looking forward to a sequel with Thanos and... could it be the infinity gauntlet?

Also, watching the final battle in the city, I kept flashing back to the final battles of Transformers 1 and 3. You know, big heroes in a big city, lots of alien tech around, a lot of devastation, cool fighting. But the big difference is: in Avengers you know who the characters are, you know what they can do, and you're invested in their survival because you know them well, love or loathe them. In Transformers... yeah. And then it hit me. Give Joss Whedon a Transformers film.

Hell, give Joss Whedon all the superhero films.

I only lament that X-Men and Spider-Man cannot be combined into this burgeoning Marvel movieverse.

Roll on Iron Man 3 :D
"There's always hope tomorrow will be taco night."
Mu La Flaga

Koshernova wrote:I have no words. I'm not a massive fan of the Avengers, and I was very resistant to even the idea of Iron Man movies at first. But I'm sold. And I'm a bit of a Whedon fan, and the film had a lot of his signature moments, as well as good, quality writing.

I am frankly amazed at the fact every character got time in the spotlight. Of course, Iron Man got more than the rest, but even newcomers got good scenes. Personally, I'd love a Hawkeye/Black Widow film. And a Hulk film with Mark Ruffalo.

Also, since I'm not well-versed in Avengers lore, I was unaware Loki was a big enemy of the group (rather than just Thor's), so when I first saw Loki was the villain, I was all 'that's it?'. My avatar is a clear testament to me being incredibly ZOINKS wrong. My only complaint about the film is that the Chitauri (are they the skrulls?) are just kinda mindless enemies and have little motivation. However, I'm looking forward to a sequel with Thanos and... could it be the infinity gauntlet?

Also, watching the final battle in the city, I kept flashing back to the final battles of Transformers 1 and 3. You know, big heroes in a big city, lots of alien tech around, a lot of devastation, cool fighting. But the big difference is: in Avengers you know who the characters are, you know what they can do, and you're invested in their survival because you know them well, love or loathe them. In Transformers... yeah. And then it hit me. Give Joss Whedon a Transformers film.

I only lament that X-Men and Spider-Man cannot be combined into this burgeoning Marvel movieverse.

You know I've said the same thing screw Bay for doing Transformers give it to Whedon :P

As for the Chitauri yeah they are the Skrulls pretty much.
And Loki aint the god of mischief for nothing this thing is up his alley as a villian.
Also like you I would eagerly look forward to Thanos for Avengers 2 and the Infinity Gauntlet.

Also I believe with Spidey reboot, they have worked it out shared rights between Marvel and Sony, so it might be easier if they want to do crossover stuff more in future.

Overall the movie is awesome and well balanced with the cast.
SlowTurtle

Mark Ruffalo has signed on for nine flims with marvel flims and please forgive the poor grammer fighting a cold right now.
"Someone once told me that time is a predator that stalks us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment because they'll never come again."
--Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Star Trek: Generations
kayone73

Koshernova wrote:

What sucks about Spider Man at least (and possibly X-Men as well) was Sony Studio's rights to keep using Spider Man in their movies was set to expire and revert back to Marvel Studios, unless Sony made another movie using the Spider Man property. They knew this which was why they pumped out yet another reboot with British Garfield so quickly. I didn't know this and the action was a head-scratcher, but yeah of course Sony doesn't want to let go such a cash cow license so soon. Still it would be nice if they were too busy and let it expire back into Marvel Disney's hands. Then it would be possible for Spidey to be reunited with the greater Marvel movie-verse.
Cardi Doorl

kayone73 wrote:There were TWO bonus scenes, but the rest of the world only got scene #1 mid way thru the credits (you didn't sit thru them at all)?
Thought I had, guess I misremembered.
RPG TRINARY: Gaia
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: Cardi Doorl

Make sure to check out the RPG section!
schwarz ritter

This movie was sick: it deserves the box office numbers its gotten so far and any awards it gets. I just freakin' loved it, hehe.
Reinhard: "Of course, grades in school aren't a good indicator. They focus too much on memorization and imitation, and don't foster imagination."
Kircheis: "What you find important are imaginative and conceptual capabilities, right?"
Reinhard: "That's right."
Antares

I actually liked this one too; it delivered what it promised. Sure, the plot was pretty predictable but this movie aimed for eye-candy and comedy, and that alone. Good fights with superheroes is always entertaining. In the end Hulk got special points for his treatment of Loki. :twisted:
-We will not be caught by surprise!
*Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words.
-Then I am glad once again that you are on my side.
*They've often said that too.
schwarz ritter

And what about Loki himself? He is perhaps one of the best superhero film villains I've seen so far. Sure, the Joker is all "gritty" and "realistic" and all, but Loki also earns some recognition of his own.
Reinhard: "Of course, grades in school aren't a good indicator. They focus too much on memorization and imitation, and don't foster imagination."
Kircheis: "What you find important are imaginative and conceptual capabilities, right?"
Reinhard: "That's right."
Antares

Didn't really care for Loki even in Thor, and I can't say I agree with your opinion of him (although you are certainly most welcome to it) ;) .
To me he was a little too sleek and slick physically, and lacked much of the necessary power I was hoping to see in him, given the Norse mythos. While his motivation for turning bad was OK, he is just delusional in thinking he could take on any of the Avengers alone. :D
-We will not be caught by surprise!
*Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words.
-Then I am glad once again that you are on my side.
*They've often said that too.