Transformers Prime Thread?

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
prince_of_zeon

Transformers Prime Thread?

Since it's not an anime, I didn't know if it should go here or in the Anime/Manga section, so here we go.

What does everybody think of this show? Honestly, I think it's the best iteration of Transformers I've seen so far. The storylines are solid, the acting is fantastic, the characters are great, and the mech designs are my favorite out the entire metaverse (Optimus here may give G1 a run for his money, and I am eagerly counting off the days until that Starscream toy comes out).

One problem though:
Spoiler
Miko absolutely sucks. In my humble opinion.
Thoughts?
Twat me: http://twitter.com/#!/Podsyboy

Subscribe/comment me: http://www.youtube.com/user/AlphaAeizeru

Did Fats Goodman really die at the end of "Fats' Counterattack?"
Chris
Administrator

Re: Transformers Prime Thread?

It's definitely a solid show, despite the CG looking rough in the first episode. Miko is annoying, but annoying human kids are to be expected in a Transformers show. The only thing that bothers me a bit is the constant barren landscapes. I know it takes places in a desert town, but I'm a bit tired of so many backgrounds of forests and deserts. It'd be a nice change to see a more urban setting.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
prince_of_zeon

Chris wrote: It'd be a nice change to see a more urban setting.
And considering how well this series deals with the obvious probalems of concealing the transformers and their impact on society, that would make for an excellent story. But the money to pay the animators doesn't grow on trees...

For me, the biggest highlight is the voice acting. Slurpee Spike as Starscream is almost unrecognizeable, and in a good way. Not to pointlessly wank to Starscream, but this really is his show, and he's owning it.

Dark Duel

Oh, I concur. Just started watching yesterday, and I'm midway through Episode 6.
"Why is this so difficult for everyone to accept?"
Almost makes me feel sorry for Starscream. He's probably the most interesting and competent version of the character I've ever seen...yet nobody ever takes him seriously.
Of the show's Transformers so far, he's one of my top three favorites - him, Arcee (who *gasp* is actually relevant, unlike her movie counterpart. Also, she's awesome.), and that snarky SOB Ratchet.

Also yeah, Miko is awesome.

EDIT: I also love how Starscream's torso is basically the movie version's head. Plus he's an F-16, which is like, my favorite fighter EVER.

EDIT2: I also love how Big Bot, Bumblebee and Megatron are cooler-looking versions of their movie counterparts. Especially Bee.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
prince_of_zeon

Dark Duel wrote:EDIT2: I also love how Big Bot, Bumblebee and Megatron are cooler-looking versions of their movie counterparts. Especially Bee.
Yes! As I said, the designs are perfect for almost every character. I hope we get to see more of Soundwave, because his silence and Predator drone alt mode are just so brilliantly executed.

The best is that they didn't do the easy thing and give Bumblebee to Jack. The dynamic between him and Arcee, especially in the later episodes, is just superb.

One knock-I'm not a huge fan of this Megatron. I don't know what it is-he's just pretty one-dimensional to me, nothing at all like his devilish Animated counterpart.

Dark Duel

That's why I like poor Starscream better. Also he's voiced by Steve Blum.
Speaking of which, I do like that not only they got Peter Cullen onboard as Optimus Prime, but they also got Frank Welker to voice Megatron, so both the leaders are voiced by their original G1 actors.

I do find Arcee fascinating as a character, but I think the funniest of the Autobots has GOT to be Ratchet.
*Someone(usually Bulkhead) breaks something* "I NEEDED THAT!"
It's interesting how he was so condescending towards the humans at first - even moreso than Arcee - yet he got so involved when they brought school projects to the base. I also like how Fowler seemed to recently actually be a competent character rather than a moron like John Turturro in the movies.

On a totally unrelated note, WHEELJACK. IS. BADASS! Such a pity he didn't stick around.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Mu La Flaga

Don't have anything to add but I want to drop a relevant note in here.
For those of you who are in to Transformers beyond just this one incarnation I made a thread in anime&manga for all encompassing Transformers discussion stuff.

So if you want to check it out your welcome to.
http://www.mechatalk.net/viewtopic.php? ... 6&start=20
ZGMF-X28A Nu-Liberty

Let's see...what's my two cents on Prime?

It's definitely one of the better iterations of Transformers out there (alongside Beast Wars, the IDW G1 continuity up to the end of the Dead Universe arc and perhaps Animated).

The voice cast is solid (Peter Cullen as Optimus and Frank Welker's new voice for Megs is almost spine-tingling), the characterizations are unusually mature (Starscream's growth as a character takes the cake) and the stories are quite interesting. The fact that it's part of the new Aligned continuity (which includes the best TF video game thus far, War for Cybertron and the novels Exodus and Exiles which are pretty decent) also add to its charm.

My only gripe with Prime at the moment are the characterizations of Megatron (as stated above) and Breakdown. I liked the paranoid snarker, not the muscle-bound lug we're all quite familiar with nowaways.
"That's the problem with plutonium, Craven; it's limited in its application. It's not user-friendly. But as a vehicle for regaining one's self-respect; oh, it's got a lot going for it!"
- Darius Jedburgh, Edge of Darkness, Episode 6, Fusion