Meet Your Mods 2: The Legend of Chris' Gold

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
Cardi Doorl

Re: Meet Your Mods 2: The Legend of Chris' Gold

MBF-06/ZGMF-X12A Arbiter wrote:1. How exactly do you pronounce your last name?
Americans who don't speak Spanish usually pronounce it something like "[redacted]".
MBF-06/ZGMF-X12A Arbiter wrote:2. Why Cardi Doorl?
Well, that's my old online handle. I generally don't use the "Doorl" part anymore when I use it at all; my use of it here is an artifact from when I joined the old old old MAHQ boards when I was like 11 years old and still used it.

When I was a little kid I was a fan of Star Wars, and some acquaintance came up with a system to "make up your own Star Wars name!!!!" using little personal details. A glance at my real name makes it pretty obvious how you generate the first name.

Anyway as a kid I liked to use it as my Star Wars name and early online name and here it still is on this board.
MBF-06/ZGMF-X12A Arbiter wrote:3. Why the fear of bees?
You have no fear of bees?
MBF-06/ZGMF-X12A Arbiter wrote:4. What's your favorite and not-so-favorite non-Tomino Gundam?
Of the non-Tomino Gundams I've seen my favorite's 0080 (though Unicorn's shaping up pretty well) and least favorite is a toss-up between SEED and 0083; I lean toward 0083 being worse.
MBF-06/ZGMF-X12A Arbiter wrote:5. Having said that Gundam only interests you these days, you don't care for Macross much?
I never got into Macross in a broad sense. I watched the original series and thought it was great, but never felt the inclination to go further. Probably never will now.
MBF-06/ZGMF-X12A Arbiter wrote:6. Are you a fan of Kurosawa?
If you like Japanese cinema then you like Kurosawa's work. Anyone who says otherwise is a liar by definition.
Ow!

Where are you going? This is "Meet Your Mods", not "Assault Your Mods".
Last edited by Cardi Doorl on Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
RPG TRINARY: Gaia
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: Cardi Doorl

Make sure to check out the RPG section!
ShadowCell

"Meet Your Mods with Force"
Kenji

And that's why I'm scared of this thread. :|
"This is the truth! This is my belief. At least for now."
Fritz Ashlyn

ShadowCell wrote:"Meet Your Mods with Force"
We have met the Mods, and they are ours.
TftF Wiki
TftF One Shots
RPG Trinary: Ortega
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: Fritz Ashlyn

Hey! why don't you swing on down to the RPG section? Tales from the Frontlines: The AEUG running strong since 2006!
Arbiter GUNDAM

I meant, is it an actual phobia of bees?
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Antares

So how does it feel like for a mod to wield the power? Are there any usual stages of mod-dom, when you are promoted from the usual web-based peasantry?
Like anger, denial, insta-banning, for example? ;)
-We will not be caught by surprise!
*Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words.
-Then I am glad once again that you are on my side.
*They've often said that too.
Deacon Blues

Cardi Doorl wrote:Ow!

Where are you going? This is "Meet Your Mods", not "Assault Your Mods".
:D I'm invincible! I'm the almighty Jacen Roberts! (Only Chris will get that joke).

Hey, hey, Cardi... if you have a cracker as your avatar, does that make you a cracker? :P
Fritz Ashlyn

Cardi here is the cat daguerreotype as promised.
TftF Wiki
TftF One Shots

Hey! why don't you swing on down to the RPG section? Tales from the Frontlines: The AEUG running strong since 2006!
Cardi Doorl

^^^
:3 :3 :3 :3

MBF-06/ZGMF-X12A Arbiter wrote:I meant, is it an actual phobia of bees?
My fear of bees is entirely rational and exceeded only by that of wasps.
I'm at least indirectly aware of your Gundam.com adventures :o
Deacon Blues wrote: Hey, hey, Cardi... if you have a cracker as your avatar, does that make you a cracker? :P
Unfortunately (fortunately?) Gundam doesn't have hispanic grenades :(
Antares wrote:So how does it feel like for a mod to wield the power? Are there any usual stages of mod-dom, when you are promoted from the usual web-based peasantry?
Like anger, denial, insta-banning, for example? ;)
In my personal experience - and I won't go into examples - I find that the way someone moderates rarely changes much, even when they're directly asked to do so by someone in charge. Either they try to be nice or they grow up and realize constant mass-banning is the best way to solve every problem (JUST KIDDING ON THAT LAST SENTENCE).

It's hard for me to say how it feels like to "wield the power", as you say, and not just because I've been moderating here for so long (should be over five years now) and am thus so disconnected from the experience of plebeian usership. It's moreso that I felt like I'd taken on responsibilities rather than having been given power to wield, if that distinction makes sense.
MBF-06/ZGMF-X12A Arbiter wrote:4. What's your favorite and not-so-favorite non-Tomino Gundam?
[/quote]

I realize I already answered this but I just remembered MS IGLOO, which supersedes 0083 and SEED as worst Gundam production I've seen. I think my brain tried to erase the memory of it.

Arbiter GUNDAM

Cardi Doorl wrote:
MBF-06/ZGMF-X12A Arbiter wrote:I meant, is it an actual phobia of bees?
My fear of bees is entirely rational and exceeded only by that of wasps.
I realize I already answered this but I just remembered MS IGLOO, which supersedes 0083 and SEED as worst Gundam production I've seen. I think my brain tried to erase the memory of it.
I'll go with you on the first one. As nuch as I get nervous around bees, wasps are a whole 'nother level of danger. Hey, did you know that there's a species of wasp in Japan I think, which is two inches long and whose venom is strong enough to MELT HUMAN FLESH??

Aw, you mean you don't like MS Gundam Space Nazis Edition? (insert sarcasm here)

--Freyja Wion
Black Knight

Cardi Doorl wrote:
Consider yourself fortunate for not experiencing them directly.
Zball

BK, you were always were the brave one. G.com was a cesspit.
Whatever works.
Arbiter GUNDAM

Some more Q's for Cardi

1. If you could have any Gundam, any at all, which would you pick?

2. Since this was once asked of Gundamn, what anime death would you wish to reverse?

--Freyja Wion
Cardi Doorl

MBF-06/ZGMF-X12A Arbiter wrote:1. If you could have any Gundam, any at all, which would you pick?
Probably none. I'd have nowhere to put a big mobile suit, for starters. On top of that, my stupid car already drains a lot of the little money I make, and I can imagine that a Gundam would cost a good deal more to maintain than a Hyundai.
MBF-06/ZGMF-X12A Arbiter wrote:2. Since this was once asked of Gundamn, what anime death would you wish to reverse?
Throughout all anime (that I've seen, obviously)?

I don't know. I don't think I view death in fiction, even the most tragic, cruel, or unjust, in quite the way this question requires. I recognize that they're fictional characters and that their deaths are part of a narrative rather than the end of an actual life. It's not that I don't feel for the characters or am not moved by fictional death, but the way their deaths affect us is usually very important to the work. Of course it's an awful feeling when Ryu Jose or Roy Fokker meet their end, but that feeling makes us more involved in the story. We oftentimes don't realize a character is well-written until he or she is taken away from us.

Because of that, I'm more inclined to think about instances like Andy Waltfeld and Mu La Flaga, whose deaths (which left an impression on me; they were among the few good characters in SEED) were miraculously reversed so that the power they had in the story was utterly deflated. Plus, it revealed cowardice on the part of the writers in dealing with the deaths of likable characters.

Arbiter GUNDAM

Cardi Doorl wrote: Because of that, I'm more inclined to think about instances like Andy Waltfeld and Mu La Flaga, whose deaths (which left an impression on me; they were among the few good characters in SEED) were miraculously reversed so that the power they had in the story was utterly deflated. Plus, it revealed cowardice on the part of the writers in dealing with the deaths of likable characters.
I can agree with that. If Tomino had been directing SEED, Mu would have stayed dead, Murrue would have been forced to sacrifice herself and the crew on a suicide run of some sort, Athrun and Cagalli would have died together to stop Genesis, the Astray girls would have had even more painful deaths, Flay would have died the same way, and Kira would be left alone and mentally broken. Well okay maybe not but, thinking in terms of Kill 'Em All Tomino is fun sometimes.

Andy's ressurection never bothered me as much, because you could explain it even if it was extremely improbable. Mu, on the other hand, was hit by a frakking ANTIMATTER BEAM. Anywho, thanks for the answers.

--Freyja Wion
Deacon Blues

Black Knight wrote:
Cardi Doorl wrote:
Consider yourself fortunate for not experiencing them directly.
Oh please... how can you not look back and laugh at those colored exploits? Wow... it was over a decade ago too hah!
Cardi Doorl

MBF-06/ZGMF-X12A Arbiter wrote:Andy's ressurection never bothered me as much, because you could explain it even if it was extremely improbable. Mu, on the other hand, was hit by a frakking ANTIMATTER BEAM. Anywho, thanks for the answers.
Well, again, it bothered me due to matters not of physical plausibility, but of storytelling.

mcred23

Well, to finish the Trinary Jet Stream of posts, it's my week.

REDACTED YEARS LATER LOL

If you want the really detailed history and other lovely (And probably outdated) info, like where the hell my user name comes from, go find the old thread. Use this as a chance to develop your fourm searching skills. 8)
So... uh... ask me any questions, and Fritz, post your latest dote'd up cat! :mrgreen:
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
Fritz Ashlyn

TftF Wiki
TftF One Shots

Antares

So, mcred, you're wandering around MechaTalk aimlessly, and suddenly you stumble upon a flame-war between Gundam Seed and Gundam00. Neither of the noble adversaries have yet to invoke Godwin's Law, but you feel it's just around the corner. Will you:
A ) turn around and walk away, nothing you could do would be punishment enough for their blasted souls
B ) try a reasoned approach and tell them they're both wrong because UC is the best timeline and none of the others should be even repeated within earshot of small impressionable children
C ) see which one of them makes the more compelling argument or is willing to bribe you with candies for banning the other debater, thus making him the de facto winner, and here I am by no means trying figure out what is your price
D) none of the above
-We will not be caught by surprise!
*Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words.
-Then I am glad once again that you are on my side.
*They've often said that too.