Star Trek into Darkness

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
Toxicity

Star Trek into Darkness

A sequel to the 2009 reboot has finally been announced. Not many details have been given, only a brief teaser of the story and a date for airing, which is next May.
In Star Trek Into Darkness, “When the crew of the Enterprise is called back home, they find an unstoppable force of terror from within their own organization has detonated the fleet and everything it stands for, leaving our world in a state of crisis.
Link to website.
Full poster.
bullethead

Re: Star Trek into Darkness

Teaser Trailer is up:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_282nyOtxg

The next one should be up on the 17th.
Gardner1701

That's on my Birthday
Arbiter GUNDAM

Apparently Cumberbatch's character's name is...................................... John Harrison? Dafrak?
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
bullethead

Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:Apparently Cumberbatch's character's name is...................................... John Harrison? Dafrak?
Might be a psuedonym. JJ Abrams likes screwing with us.
Arbiter GUNDAM

Double suspicious because Alice Eve is apparently playing Carol Marcus in the movie.

--Freyja Wion
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Watched this trailer, having a hard time getting excited about this movie. Looks like a bunch scenes from other movies made in the last decade.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
Toxicity

I saw the full trailer when I went to see the hobbit. Sadly, it doesn't give very much more information as to what the plot is going to be or who the villian is.
Arbiter GUNDAM

Well, we sort of know who the villain is, a Starfleet officer named John Harrison.

--Freyja Wion
Dendrobium Stamen

Spoiler
My money is still on John Harrison being Khan...

Also, Alice Eve is playing Carol Marcus?! Awesome!
The promo material released so far has me cautiously optimistic about this film; not overly keen on the damage being inflicted on London, mind you, but it's probably our turn - New York has been the punchbag city more than enough on the big screen ;)

Plus, the viral marketing has kicked off for this film; enjoy.

Roll on May 2013!
"Trust me, I know what I'm doing." - Sledge Hammer.
A Wind Raging Through, a Destiny sidestory.
Soma Taozi
Location: Singing 'By Your Side' to a bunch of soldiers in Club Eden.

Well after seeing the 9 minute preview of the film by going to see the Hobbit, I can safely say that Cummberbatch is not Khan...here is what the actor says about it too: http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/star-tr ... ss-villain
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

I haven't seen the nine minute teaser, but the more I see the trailers, the more I think this movie may be a letdown.

I just hope it's more than the last movie, a bunch of action and really nothing at the end. Funny, how some directors get called out on that and J.J. Abrams doesn't.

B.A., M.A., PhD,

[email protected]

Soma Taozi

^^That really is what star trek is, a fun actiony adventure in space, the 2009 movie was fun...which was more then can I say about the Next Generation films (maybe not First Contact). And sure, it was more of an action movie then science fiction, but the reason JJ Abrams doesn't get "called out" on action is because he is classy about it. It is fast pace, but it doesn't go overboard. And most of all...you can understand what is happening and care about the people involved.

Unlike Michael Bay who just shoves explosions in to make scenes exciting (and does so in EXCESS) and starts shooting before the script is finished. I saw Star Trek 2009 as an action movie and a pretty damn good one at that...sure it wasn't like some of the original films and it didn't take risks, but it was fun and funny and it served its purpose. It got the original crew back together and gave them all a moment to shine and be awesome. Besides I found it very refreshing and it gave life to a series that I found was slowly dying.

I will admit that this new movie looks more on the dark side and less on the fun, adventurey side (which worries me), but I have long since have decided to not judge a movie by a trailer. And this trailer looks pretty awesome without giving really ANY of the plot away. So I guess we will see?
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
Xenosynth

I think the new movie looks fine. Honestly, I didn't think Abrams was that bad at the movie. And really, there isn't a lot of hard science to Star Trek to begin with so basically the Abrams movie was just less technobabble with the same sense of adventure and fun. And many of the series had less of an ending, look at all the Voyager and other series episodes that had big reset buttons at the end when anything TOO major happened rather than let an interesting twist stay.

The villain... trying hard to guess who he is. I recall someone saying that the villain is someone we should know. Obvious guess was Khan but... I've also seen Simon Pegg and others completely deny it. We'll have to see. I haven't seen enough of TOS to act know any other iconic villains. I am 100% sure that John name has to be a pseudonym though.
Soma Taozi

Well from my knowledge of classic 60's trek, there is also a theory that John Harrison could be like Gary Mitchell from Where No Man Has Gone Before...in that he is a normal human who gains god-like powers. And from the synopsis, trailer clips, and 9-minute preview...I am certainly getting that impression.

-Me, 7/19/2020
kayone73

JJ Abrams grants man w terminal cancer wish to see rough cut of Into Darkness, man passed away days afterwards.

Really nice gesture and big of Abrams to go out of his way to do that, and for the studio to allow it.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/s ... -jj-408899
Star Trek Fan Dies After J.J. Abrams Grants Him Advance Screening of 'Into Darkness'

At a time when he didn't have much to look forward to, a Star Trek fan was given the opportunity to watch a rough cut of Star Trek: Into Darkness just days before he died.

When New York-based film buff Daniel Craft was told he had terminal cancer less than six weeks ago, Craft's friends and family took it upon themselves to make his last days as happy and comfortable as possible. His friend Doug posted a plea from Craft's wife, Paige, on the popular Internet message board Reddit, and the message was picked up by social media and the press until it eventually found its way to J.J. Abrams. The director granted him access to see an early edited version of the film, which isn't set to be released until May.

“A day or so after the thread began, Paige, Dan’s wife, got a voicemail from JJ Abrams and Damon Lindelof that was very nice and very straightforward: a producer for the movie would get in touch with them," friend Grady Hendrix wrote in a follow-up post on Reddit. "The next day, one of the film’s producers showed up at the door of their apartment with a DVD containing a very rough cut of Star Trek: Into Darkness in his hands. Paige had made popcorn, Dan had spent the previous day resting so he could sit through the movie, and after signing about 200 non-disclosure agreements they watched the film and had a blast."

"J.J. Abrams and the producer who came to give them the early cut told Paige and Dan, 'Please don't judge this -- it's very rough, but we wanted you to see what we had,'" Hendrix told The Hollywood Reporter. "Of course, he loved the film. It was the last thing he got to do before he passed away."

After watching the film, Craft went back to bed and didn’t get out again. His wife took him to the hospital for hospice care on Friday, and at 10:15 pm, with his wife and his brother by his side, Dan died. He was 41.
Soma Taozi

This is very touching....thank you for sharing this. And yeah, very impressed by Paramount and JJ.Abrams.

-Me, 7/19/2020
kayone73

Cold cynical side of me guesses the studio gave the go ahead as a deliberate, calculated decision for the positive PR as well as building up additional hype for the film. But motivations aside, still a nice story to hear.
Soma Taozi

Probably right, but still, PR move or not, still nice that they did that. After all, they could have done much easier PR moves than that.

-Me, 7/19/2020
hawk of endymion

Re-watched the trailer the other day, saw that finally installed a brig on the Enterprise (where was that in the first movie?)

It amaze me that some directors are crapped on their cliches, but Abrams is celebrated (so done with the dumb homages to fans, look out Star Wars). I think this movie should be renamed: Star Trek: The Wrath of NOT Khan.

B.A., M.A., PhD,

[email protected]