Star Wars Episode VII

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
Arbiter GUNDAM

Star Wars Episode VII

Well, it's official. We return to that Galaxy Far, Far Away on December 18, 2015.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
soulfire916

Re: Star Wars Episode VII

Love it, been a StarWars fan since I was born pretty much. I don't know why people think Disney's gonna screw it up or something, I just saw the new Thor film and I think so far they haven't made a single bad movie yet since acquiring more companies. I doubt they will disappoint when it comes to lucasfilms.
It's a spartaaan!

Xbox LIVE: HG Soul Fire
PSN ID: SoulFire916
Steam ID: id/SoulFire916/
NNID (WiiU): SoulFire916
Toxicity

I think most of that concern came about because of JJ Abrams being involved, not because of Disney now owning the franchise.

Is anything really known about the new film yet apart from only that it's being made?
Dark Duel

Really? I haven't really seen any complaints about JJ himself myself, but then again I stopped paying attention looooong ago.

As for anything solid about it, I've heard precisely zilch except that supposedly, they're bringing the old gang (Ford, Fisher, Hamill) back together again. And that it began pre-production in October.
soulfire916 wrote:Love it, been a StarWars fan since I was born pretty much. I don't know why people think Disney's gonna screw it up or something
Because people have this preconceived notion - not entirely illogical, mind you - that Disney is incapable of producing material that is not aimed at the prepubescent, and from this misconception stems their fear that Disney will somehow "ruin" Star Wars by kiddifying it.

Besides, George Lucas did more to ruin Star Wars with Episodes II and III than Disney ever could.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Wingnut

Dark Duel wrote:Besides, George Lucas did more to ruin Star Wars with Episodes II and III than Disney ever could.
You underestimate the dark side of the Mouse. There are evils there the likes of which the world has not yet seen.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
soulfire916

Dark Duel wrote: Disney is incapable of producing material that is not aimed at the prepubescent, and from this misconception stems their fear that Disney will somehow "ruin" Star Wars by kiddifying it.
I dont know man, Bambi made a lot of kids cry when that mother deer died. :?

Seriosuly though, I've seen the new Marvel movies since Disney acquired the rights (the avengers, thor dark world, ect.) And they seem to keep it enjoyable for most older aged people.
It's a spartaaan!

Xbox LIVE: HG Soul Fire
PSN ID: SoulFire916
Steam ID: id/SoulFire916/
NNID (WiiU): SoulFire916
Zeonista

Dark Duel wrote:Really? I haven't really seen any complaints about JJ himself myself, but then again I stopped paying attention looooong ago.

As for anything solid about it, I've heard precisely zilch except that supposedly, they're bringing the old gang (Ford, Fisher, Hamill) back together again. And that it began pre-production in October.
soulfire916 wrote:Love it, been a StarWars fan since I was born pretty much. I don't know why people think Disney's gonna screw it up or something
Because people have this preconceived notion - not entirely illogical, mind you - that Disney is incapable of producing material that is not aimed at the prepubescent, and from this misconception stems their fear that Disney will somehow "ruin" Star Wars by kiddifying it.
Too late to worry about that, Lucas did it himself in Episode I. :roll:

I am cautiously optimistic about the next movie in a galaxy long ago and far, far away for 3 reasons.

1. J.J. Abrams actually knows something about science fiction, and likes it as a creative medium. He also can direct action movies with the energy and flair we demand in a Star Wars story.
2. Lawrence Kasdan, co-writer for Episodes V & VI + Raiders of the Lost Ark is on board as a writer.
3. Disney is bankrolling it, so no one can complain they will lack for budget to make it look pretty & amazing! :D
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
HDKirin

I'll wait for more details to come out of it; it's hard to say what I think about it without really know what it'll be about.
YouTube | Twitter | Twitch | Steam | Last.fm
PSN: Zankantou (NA) | HDKirin (JP)
Zeonista

Fear not, as soon as production begins we will all be aware of details. :P
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
excalibur2008

soulfire916 wrote:
Dark Duel wrote: Disney is incapable of producing material that is not aimed at the prepubescent, and from this misconception stems their fear that Disney will somehow "ruin" Star Wars by kiddifying it.
I dont know man, Bambi made a lot of kids cry when that mother deer died. :?

Seriosuly though, I've seen the new Marvel movies since Disney acquired the rights (the avengers, thor dark world, ect.) And they seem to keep it enjoyable for most older aged people.
Heck Disney came up with a villain in a kinds movie that was a religious fanatic who's villain song was basically about how he was horny for the lead female character and if she didn't sleep with him he would burn her at the stake.

So I think they can handle the grown up stuff.
Dark Duel

excalibur2008 wrote:Heck Disney came up with a villain in a kinds movie that was a religious fanatic who's villain song was basically about how he was horny for the lead female character and if she didn't sleep with him he would burn her at the stake.

So I think they can handle the grown up stuff.
Ah, The Hunchback of Notre Dame. Good times - one of my personal favorites, but then again that's just a tad north from my neck of the woods, so I'm just a wee bit biased.
What's even more interesting is when you contrast the Disney film version to the novel it's based on, Victor Hugo's Notre Dame de Paris. Because daaaaaaaamn, the end of that one is sad.

Ahem...

But yeah, I completely agree - I mean, this is the same company one of whose best animated works was essentially Hamlet with a revised ending, according to my High School English Lit teacher.

They can totally handle the grownup stuff, regardless of whether some poor, unfortunate souls might think otherwise. (See what I did there :P ?)
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Amion

Dare I wade into this topic? :?

I'm not so worried about Disney kiddifying Star Wars. They know what the other six movies were like and I doubt we're going to get something childish.

That said, I am not exactly sure why there needs to be more movies. Disney can theoretically make a fortune off of it so that's their reason for it. For me, I fail to see a motive for going back for more. Maybe I'm just jaded at having watched the expanded universe descend into the depths that it has and just plain want people to stop meddling with what comes after.

But who knows? It may offer some good character interactions. If they nail the nostalgia just right it could prove to attract me.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
Heaven Piercing Man

AFAIK, the sequel trilogy started pre-production by the Lucasfilm staff, slightly before the acquisition of it. So I don't think it was a Disney idea, I mean if they weren't interested in making more movies Lucas wouldn't have sold it.
Heaven Piercing Man

This will be a week long remembered. It has seen the end of the EU, and it saw the end of the cast speculation.
Kenji

I'm rather amused by the "kiddifying" fear. Mostly because Star Wars was kind of a children's film, as it was. There was really nothing the least bit objectionable or remotely complicated in it. Hell, I grew up on cassettes of the original trilogy, as I imagine many of you have.

What's important for this new series, and why JJ was probably a good choice, is that Star Wars needs to be fun again. And while Into Darkness made me want to stop watching movies, the 2009 reboot was fun.
"This is the truth! This is my belief. At least for now."
ShadowCell

and if there's anything the Expanded Universe does, it's drain all the fun out of Star Wars anyway, so that alone makes this movie worth it
Heaven Piercing Man

Kenji wrote:I'm rather amused by the "kiddifying" fear. Mostly because Star Wars was kind of a children's film, as it was. There was really nothing the least bit objectionable or remotely complicated in it. Hell, I grew up on cassettes of the original trilogy, as I imagine many of you have.

What's important for this new series, and why JJ was probably a good choice, is that Star Wars needs to be fun again. And while Into Darkness made me want to stop watching movies, the 2009 reboot was fun.
The fear is due to the memetic demonization of "disney the Evil™ Faceless Corporation that Threatens my Grownupness", and because of people thinking Disney is directly making Star Wars as if it were one of their IPs. In fact, it's still all done by Lucasfilm, the difference is that Disney owns them, not Lucas; Disney will let them be and only take presence in corporate and RP stuff, while Lucas has no longer the final say, he's a consultant.

It's the same with their other subsidiaries like Marvel and Pixar... Hell, even ABC belongs to them and no one cries about ABC shows being "ruined FOREVER", not even LOST.
tHeWasTeDYouTh

Disney spent 4 Billion in getting Star Wars

they are going to milk this until they get their money back

lot of people are mad Disney cancelled a lot of Star Wars games(yes old lucasart did that but Disney finished the rest), killed EU(some was good and some was horrible but the EU saved Star Wars from death in the years between Return of the Jedi and Phantom Menace) and finally Disney cancelled Clone Wars just when a lot of people finally accepted it as the series matured(even with those damn droid, padawan and jar jar episodes)

I hope the new movies are amazing, I remember when I was little sitting with my dad in those crappy white plastic chairs(family was broke) and watching the original star wars movie on TBS. amazing time as a kid since I have not seen my dad in like 8 years
YOU'RE MESHI
DAMNYOUYAMATOTAKERUNOMIKOTOOOOOO!
Arbiter GUNDAM

Well, the first teaser is out and looks like fun times will be had by all. But of course, since this is the internet, the fanboys have latched onto everything they can complain about including that crossguard lightsaber.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
azrael

Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:But of course, since this is the internet, the fanboys have latched onto everything they can complain about including that crossguard lightsaber.
That's because a crossguard is designed to protect the hand of the user, not cut it off at the same time. One bad flick or movement of that wrist and the hand holding that lightsaber is gonna get cut off. That's why it's called a crossGUARD.
"I dislike death indeed, but there is that which I dislike more than death, and therefore there are occasions when I will not avoid danger."