Comic Books (other than manga)

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
TheGundamMKII

Re: Comic Books (other than manga)

I had a few friends who've turned me to comics in the last couple of years.

I'm not reading anything recent, mostly because everything I've picked up had gone to Hell in a hand basket. I tried to follow Fraction's run of Iron Man and MI 13; both of which I did not care for.

On the other hand, Dark Horse has some wonderful continuing titles I am following, Like Fables. I'm also loving the old phone book sized re-prints of old Marvel comics, back when marvel was mostly just Stan Lee and Jack Kirby. Old Captain America is total crack. I renewed the first volume twice and read almost the whole thing before I had to return it to the library.

I'm also a fan of Dr. Strange, so if he appears in anything I'm bound to pick it up. I've read and own The Oath, the first phone book re-print of his original run, as well as the recent mini-series he was in... I don't remember the title of that one.

I'm not such a big fan of DC, but I have read some of the off-shoot Batman comics; like Batman Black & White, Long Halloween and Dark Victory.
Ryujin

TheGundamMKII wrote:On the other hand, Dark Horse has some wonderful continuing titles I am following, Like Fables.
I have to point out that Fables (which I also follow) is DC: Vertigo, not Dark Horse.
TheGundamMKII

Oops! Xd Thanks for the correction, It is Vertigo. Dark Horse does have some good titles, too.
Zeonista

I haven't been able to spend money on comics like I used to, but I still get Usagi Yojimbo. To me the adventures of the long-eared samurai are still consistently the best thing out there.
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
Burke Rukes

I've been a very avid and serious comic book reader for the last 3-4 years, after my childhood interest in superheroes was re-sparked following being introduced to the MMO City of Heroes (which I've been playing for 4 years solid now. The game kindled my interest enough that I started sampling some titles, and came to really enjoy it. I read tons and tons of DC, both new and old, and a handful of indie titles as well. I spend way too much money on ComiXology every week since DC launched their digital comics with them last year, and I'm -very- thrilled that all of their titles are now being published day-and-date digitally. As for their "new 52" relaunch... so far, my impressions have been mostly good/very pleased, with only a few titles that have left me unimpressed. It's a huge gamble for DC, but if they do it right, I hope it works out for them in the long run. That said, I'm not a Marvel reader. I already spend so much time and money on DC... and overall I just find the DC universe and its characters far more appealing, though I couldn't tell you why. Just personal taste, I guess. :)
Believe in the sign of Zeta!

- Burke

Top current headline from The Weekly Earth Sphere Post:
COLONIES RISK GRAVITY LOSS DISASTER FROM LABOR STRIKE!
Grav-Making Hamsters Demand Well-Lubricated Wheels, Shorter Hours, Yummier Food
2NA Fish

Just finished ABC Warriors: The Volgan War.

An old series from 2000AD. Started in 1979 as a bit of a send up of the Magnificent Seven. Features some really badass mech design.
YokozunaBulldozer

Reading rebooted Justice League and Transformers. Read Wildcats 3.0 volume 1 for the second time.
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
Dark Duel

Just re-read X-23: Innocence Lost and Batman: Under the Hood. Fascinating books.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Vent Noir

Dark Duel wrote:Just re-read X-23: Innocence Lost and Batman: Under the Hood. Fascinating books.
I'm getting into the X-23 stuff too. Someone on the CBR boards described her as "like Cassandra Cain, but treated better by the company", and since I'm a fan of Cass and she's in limbo at the moment, I decided to check it out.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
Sleepneeded127

Vent Noir wrote:
Dark Duel wrote:Just re-read X-23: Innocence Lost and Batman: Under the Hood. Fascinating books.
I'm getting into the X-23 stuff too. Someone on the CBR boards described her as "like Cassandra Cain, but treated better by the company", and since I'm a fan of Cass and she's in limbo at the moment, I decided to check it out.
X-23 is a great character. her recent mini's and the soon to be canceled on-going have been great. also check out her time in X-Force.
Listen, not a year goes by, not a year, that I don't hear about some escalator accident involving some bastard kid which could have easily been avoided had some parent - I don't care which one - but some parent conditioned him to fear and respect that escalator.
Dark Duel

Yeah, she really is fascinating. i mean, the entire premise of a teenage female clone of Wolverine was just amusing, but the character itself has proven extremely interesting.
I'll definitely have to check those others out when I get the chance.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Sleepneeded127

also i believe she will be appearing in Avengers Academy soon but im not currently reading it so im not sure. i have a lot on my plate now and every time in drop one i seem to pick up 2 other ones lol
Listen, not a year goes by, not a year, that I don't hear about some escalator accident involving some bastard kid which could have easily been avoided had some parent - I don't care which one - but some parent conditioned him to fear and respect that escalator.
YokozunaBulldozer

Read 1st volume of Parker series drawn by Darwyn Cooke. Good read.
South Burning

I've been a fan of the Martian Manhunter (J'onn J'onzz) since I was a kid in the 50's. I always thought he was more super than Superman. And with the release of The New 52 J'onn is appearing in a new cover called StormWatch. I'm a little disappointed that he hasn't played a bigger part in this new series, but it is interesting enough that I checked out the old StormWatch, which was published by a company other than DC. The old series has that same grittiness that makes Marvel comics so distinctive and the new StormWatch is constantly changing, so J'onn J'onzz may yet take a more dominate role.
zabimustdie

Zeonista wrote:I haven't been able to spend money on comics like I used to, but I still get Usagi Yojimbo. To me the adventures of the long-eared samurai are still consistently the best thing out there.
Man I only have one issue of this fantastic comic. Every now and then I ask my local comic shop guy if he can order me a trade of it, but he never can. Where do you get yours at?
"Where there is no death, there is life." - Ghost in Chronopolis, Chrono Cross
YokozunaBulldozer

IDW Ninja Turtles and Transformers. Interesting how Metalhawk is a regular in one of the new series.
ZeonsSilverStar

I decided to embrace my comic book nerd side recently so I read Old Man Logan, and to be frank it was one of the best reads I've had in a long time. Its not often that I sit down and marathon read anything but this kept my attention from start to finish. As a bit of an after thought some people might be turned away by the tone of the story but as I mentioned I enjoyed it. Aside from that I ordered both Innocence Lost and Target X from Amazon and in the week I've had them I've completed both. My thoughts on them are along the lines of I want more of this story. I also got The Killing Dream, which focuses on X-23 aswell, but I haven't had the time to read due to my class schedule. Lastly I read Magneto Testament a few weeks ago. Now its now secret, well around here it probably is, that I'm a huge Magneto fan so it was nice to get alittle more insight on his younger years.
''Do you always have to stare at me like I just drowned your goldfish?'' Xigbar
Furious Rodimus

I've been busy reading the old Savage Sword of Conan TPBs from the late seventies/early eighties. Despite being entirely in black and white I've quite enjoyed them. And they're normally 500 - 600 pages for $15 on Amazon.
It's the stronger who create the weaker!

I am the (Color) (Object/Natural Element), Ace of (Organization) Fear Me!
ZeonsSilverStar

I wanted to bring this thread back to the front page with some minor news. Within the last two days I've gotten Blue Beetle: Shellshocked, Superman Earth One Vol 1, X-Men Days of Future Past, Red Hood and the Outlaws Vol 1, and the first and second volume of the new Ultimate Spider-Man. Anyway I started reading Blue Beetle first and I'm liking it for the most part, my only real complaint would be that the action is on the light side but thats cool. I've also come across the old Static comic from way back when. Being a fan of the tv show I figured that I would enjoy comic and that assumption was correct. Its a shame that the New 52 Static comic didn't make it past six issues but at least I have the original.
''Do you always have to stare at me like I just drowned your goldfish?'' Xigbar
SlowTurtle

Currently reading:

Spiderman
Iron Man
Batman New 52
FF
Black Lagoon Manga
"Someone once told me that time is a predator that stalks us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment because they'll never come again."
--Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Star Trek: Generations