Comic Books (other than manga)

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
G-Slayer
Location: In the fridge, behind the mayonnaise, next to the ketchup, and to the left of the coleslaw.

Re: Comic Books (other than manga)

Currently I'm kinda split between Marvel and DC while checking out some independents in between (though I always jump at the chance to read anything with Alan Moore at the helm). I was leaning more for DC since reading Identity Crisis, but now I'm into Marvel's Noir lineup.
"That's it! I'll never Gundam the pilot again, Bright!"--Amuro Ray

My YouTube Channel!

My Photobucket Album!

My Gunpla Blog!
Vent Noir

Comics I got this week...

Blackest Night #8: I don't usually go for big event comics, but I decided to give Blackest Night a go. It was good in parts, but the ending felt... forced. I guess they were going for "uplifting" and didn't quite manage to pull it off. Oh, and...
Spoiler
"Dead is dead from now on?" Does anybody actually believe that? (Hey, wasn't it Marvel's policy a few years ago?)
Wonder Woman #42: It's gonna be sad to see Gail's run come to an end. We get to see the return of some characters from earlier in her run here.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
Aegis

About the only thing I've been following is Marvel's adaptation of the Gunslinger Born series. With that, I come to respect Peter David's writing even more, and I become a Jae Lee fan at the same time. :P After that, I dabble on Deadpool from time to time. Trust Deadpool to add entertainment to otherwise bad story arcs, and as of late, Marvel has plenty of them. That, and I'm not fond of some of the new characters introduced, like the Red Hulk, Skaar, or Daken.
Vent Noir

This week's stuff...

Knights of the Dinner Table #160: If you play tabletop RPGs, you probably already know about this. If not, be sure to check out this hillarious take on gaming.

Red Robin #11: Part 3 of "Collision", and as entertaining as the first two.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 8 #34: Okay, a lot of exposition here, but I'm still enjoying it and fascinated to see where it's going.

Thor and the Warriors Four #1: A Power Pack/Thor crossover. The Power Pack stuff is always fun, in contrast to the mainstream MU these days.

Red Sonja: Wrath of the Gods #3: Nothing special.

Anyone else want to share their thoughts on what they got?
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
Furious Rodimus

I've been reading IDW's Transformers tpbs when they come out.
I was reading the Dark Tower series but I have fallen very far behind on that one.
It's the stronger who create the weaker!

I am the (Color) (Object/Natural Element), Ace of (Organization) Fear Me!
Vent Noir

I haven't got around to my thoughts on this week's comics yet, but I got to see George Perez at Supanova this weekend, and he was really cool and friendly. I've always been amazed at how he can get about a million characters on a page and have it still be coherent, but the fact that he's such a cool guy makes it even better.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

Vent Noir

Okay, got last week's and this week's hauls here...

LAST WEEK:

Batgirl #9: So, it's not the final part of the Red Robin crossover (which will be the next issue of that), but instead the start of another storyline? Oookay... it's interesting, but can't they come up with another villain for Oracle besides Calculator?

Brightest Day #0: I was interested enough to give this a shot. Not much happens here, but it's essentially a preview issue.

Secret Six #20: Even though I'm not usually a fan of anti-hero/villain focused stories, this is one of my favourite books, and Gail Simone once again delivers the goods.

Angelus #3: A friend of mine go me into the Witchblade mythology, and it's really gone a long ways from the T&A-fest it was infamous for when it started. I quite like Dani Baptiste, and am interested to see where this goes.

THIS WEEK:

Sif One-Shot: Thor's a character I've always been curious about, but never really gotten into reading. So I'm not really familiar with the characters here, but having a story focusing on aliens in a title with ties to Norse mythology feels... weird. Maybe someone more familiar with Thor would enjoy it more, though.

Power Girl #11: Gray & Palmotti's run is winding up, and it's been fun. I'll give the new creative team a chance after next issue.

Supergirl #52: Part of a crossover that I haven't been following, and I didn't really get much of what was going on.

Queen Sonja #6: Enjoyed it. Can't really think of much more to say here.

The Guild #2: This was a lot of fun, and I'm really getting into the characters' personalities.

Street Fighter Legends: Ibuki #2: And speaking of heaps of fun... I suck at fighting games, but I'm really enjoying this, and the interaction between Ibuki, Makoto, and Elena.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

Vent Noir

Stuff for this week:

Wonder Woman #43: I really enjoyed this one, both the glances into the past and the action. My only nagging doubt is whether the story should be longer than it will be.

Green Lantern Corps #47: We get to take a break after the events of Blackest Night. Great to see Kyle, Guy and Arisia take the Guardians to task for their idiocy... and Arisia's obviously taken a page out of Bright Noah's manual on how deal with that.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

Bonesy!

this thread was miserable until I came along and mentioned Nextwave.

hell yeah, Nextwave.
Vent Noir

I should also mention that I picked up Invincible Ultimate Collection volume 5 this week (it came out last week, but my LCS sold out before I could get my hands on it). I came in late for Invincible, but it's a lot of fun.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

G-Slayer
Location: In the fridge, behind the mayonnaise, next to the ketchup, and to the left of the coleslaw.

I've just finished reading Wolverine Omnibus, featuring his very first appearance in The Incredible Hulk, his beginnings as Weapon X, and his adventures in Japan and Madripoor. Also being a fan of Los Bros Hernandez (Love and Rockets), I entered a contest where I won an autographed copy of the newspaper that organized it, along with a copy of "The Art of Jaime Hernandez" which features artwork from Jaime's private archives.
"That's it! I'll never Gundam the pilot again, Bright!"--Amuro Ray

My YouTube Channel!

My Photobucket Album!

My Gunpla Blog!
Vent Noir

A few days late, but this week's haul:

Secret Six #21: Continues its weird mix of being somehow simultaneously fun and disturbing. The look at Thomas "Catman" Blake's childhood sticks in my mind for the "disturbing" part.

Knights of the Dinner Table #161: An anniversary issue, as it's twenty years since the first KoDT strip appeared in Shadis magazine. As always, heaps of fun.

Spectacular Spider-Girl #1: Good to see Mayday Parker back... and holy crap, did DeFalco actually manage to write the frickin' Punisher as a person I can somewhat feel for and sympathise with? He's probably my least favourite character in all of comics, and making him even somewhat tolerable is a major achievement.

Thor and the Warriors Four #2: More fun with the Power Pack visiting Asgard.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 8 #35: I'm really not sure what to say about this, although we do get to see
Spoiler
Spike
return at the end, and that's a plus.

Brightest Day #1: Not really feeling this so far.

Red Sonja: Wrath of the Gods #4: Meh.

And not a new release, but I picked up the graphic novel Rapunzel's Revenge, which is a whole lot of fun, starring Rapunzel as a braid-slingin' western heroine. I don't see how the upcoming Disney film can match up to this one.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

South Burning

I read comics constantly when I was a kid, but they were 25 cents then. But a few years ago I reintroduced myself to my favorite character from my childhood, J'onn J'onzz, the Martian Manhunter. I liked him better than Superman because he actually had more powers than Supey. And, recently, there have been several runs that highlighted him such as a 36 issue Martian Manhunter special series and shorter things like Darkest Night. Also, he played a major role in Justice League International and, of course, the 2 JLA series' on Cartoon Network. So I've been able to satisfy my Martian Manhunter "j'onzz" quite a bit of late.
Vent Noir

This week's stuff:

Birds of Prey #1: BoP is back, baby! And with Gail Simone at the helm! Good to see the band being put back together, with Hawk and Dove added into the mix. And the ending pages...
Spoiler
I think the woman is Shiva, but I can't dismiss it being Cassandra Cain (if it's her, please don't let it be as a villain), or someone else. And I have to wait at least another four weeks to find out!
Batgirl #10: I'm getting really sick of zombie stories by now, even if these weren't undead-type zombies. But I'm still being entertained by Steph.

Witchblade #136: The Aphrodite IV storyline ends, and the buildup to "Artifacts" begins. Not bad, but my other books this week outshone it.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

Vent Noir

Okay, been slack in getting my thoughts up here recently (apologies, if there was anyone who cared). But I'll do this week and last week. Here goes...

LAST WEEK:

Wonder Woman #44: Gail Simone's run comes to an end, and I felt there was a lot more she could have done if she'd continued. I'll miss her, and while I know JMS is a good writer, I'm not fully confident that I'll enjoy the direction it looks like he'll be taking.

Power Girl #12: Another fun run ends, this time by Gray and Palmiotti. As I think I mentioned, I don't hate Judd Winick like some people do, so I'll see what his run's like.

Green Lantern Corps #48: "Revolt of the Alpha Lanterns" begins. Solid, if unspectacular.

The Guild #3: Not as much fun as the first two issues, but still enjoyable.

THIS WEEK:

Red Sonja #50: Decent sword-and-sorcery, but this has always been something of a guilty pleasure to me.

Secret Six #22: A guilty pleasure in a different way, a well-written story that goes into some dark and nasty places. And yeah, Gail Simone's on this, too.

Batgirl #11: Still enjoying this a lot more than I'd expect from a story with the Calculator and zombies.

Avengers Academy #1: One of two books coming out of "Heroic Age" (no relation to the anime) that got me interested enough to give Marvel another go. Not bad so far, I really like Hazmat's costume. Hopefully we'll get to learn more detail about her soon.

Young Allies #1: ...and this is the other one Marvel title I'm trying. I'd heard good things about Nomad: Girl Without A World but never read it, but from what I read here, I'm liking her.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

Mu La Flaga

So one of my first posts in here since recently I've been getting more in to comic book stuff in a new way(I was in to comics stuff before, but stopped for a small period since I kind of lost some of them or stuff like that)

Anyway I've always been big in to Marvel comics stuff.
TPBs that I have got and read are.

Iron Man: Armor Wars Prologue
Iron Man: Armor Wars
Iron Man: Armor Wars 2

X-Men Onslaught the complete epic, TPB 1(the 1990s Onslaught saga btw)
The Amazing Spider-man, the complete clone saga TPB 1.

Going to be hunting down more in future as time goes on, I have some catching up to do and more stories to read I never got the chance to read when I was younger.

Also, make mine Marvel :P
Thundermuffin

I read comics. :wink:

Uh, very quickly, stuff that currently kicks ass.

Hawkeye and Mockingbird. Thunderbolts. Invincible.

And any Transformers fan who hasn't read the Last Stand of the Wreckers miniseries ought to at the earliest opportunity; it's easily the best Transformers comic story in a good long while.

Hell, it's a damn good COMIC BOOK period, let alone being about Transformers.

The trade just came out today, in fact!
Mu La Flaga

I know that when I wake up and head out I will be picking up my copy of Beast Wars Ascending TPB that I ordered in.
Already read the previous one, so I finally chased up the sequel TPB, it's somethng I've wanted to read for a while.
Thundermuffin

Mu La Flaga wrote:I know that when I wake up and head out I will be picking up my copy of Beast Wars Ascending TPB that I ordered in.
Already read the previous one, so I finally chased up the sequel TPB, it's somethng I've wanted to read for a while.
Ascending's okay. Furman probably shoulda toned down the amount of characters running around in it.
Mu La Flaga

Actually reading it and Awakening previously overall the 2 series form a nice interesting story and remminds me of some original transformers entries in the comics like Time Wars and the battle against Unicron ect.

So all in all I like it, might go in depth if someone wants to ask.
Otherwise I wont spoil anything here.