Comic Books (other than manga)

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
South Burning

Re: Comic Books (other than manga)

When the "New 52" DC comics came out, I subscribed, first, to Storm Watch, because that was where DC placed the Martian Manhunter, and then recently to the Justice League of America because they moved J'onn to that comic. Inevitably, DC reprinted some of the collections of Storm Watch from their original publisher. It was in a collection called A Finer World that I recently read what has become my favorite comic book story of all time called Bleed. Bleed deals with the Storm Watch of our world eavesdropping on the Storm Watch of a parallel world and attempting to help them out of a tight spot. I really enjoyed it. Unfortunately, DC has seen fit to totally revamp the Storm Watch of the New 52 and I think they blew it. I may cancel that subscription. I grew to like the odd characters in Storm Watch, both old and new, but the new incarnation doesn't have that same appeal. And the new JLA hasn't really jelled, but I'm giving them time. After all, it's the only place to see my favorite hero, J'onn J'onzz. (We both love Oreos, as did my Dad.)
Dark Duel

I've not picked up a new issue in a while, but I've been following "New 52" Batgirl as well as Red Hood and the Outlaws.
Love both series. Especially the latter. Then again, I really liked Red Hood in Under the Hood because he was a fascinating character. (Though I did find it interesting that his "AK-47" looks NOTHING like a Kalashnikov. At least IMO). The later, more psychotic cape-wearing version of the character just did NOT do it at all for me, so I was glad to see that RH&O went back to the "leather jacket" look. (Though I ROFL'd at where and how he acquired his current duds).
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Wellman

They are cancelling my favorite DC team book Demon Knights later this year.

Which honestly might be just as well, while the new guy following Cornell has done a pretty good job, the overall direction and reasoning for why they still travel with one another looked like it was just up in the air waiting for a push or someone to notice.

Anyone know a projected date when the Goon comic will come out of hiatus?
Vent Noir

Once Demon Knights is cancelled, I will be down to one DC book (The Movement). Which I like the first issue of, but given that it doesn't feature any "big name" characters, I'm not sure how long it will last.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
Antares

Comic studies are actually rearing their head big time right now in popular culture research. I was invited to a conference that dealt with different aspects of comics recently, and I could consider my mind blown afterwards.

Yeah, the first thought most of you will have, like I did, is that comics are not a "serious" topic for research. After the conference, I changed my mind. There is so much to be said about comics (manga included), but so few take the time to listen. The conference topics ranged from critical (political) commentary to a more theoretical analysis of comics in general (what does the frame signify in narration) and to fandom (in Iran!!!).

It's pleasing to find that even if I had more or less dismissed comics in "my later years", I now feel drawn back because there is just so much stuff out there that is so very good. I had already revisited Dredd after the movie came out, and next I'm heading to Sacco-territory.
-We will not be caught by surprise!
*Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words.
-Then I am glad once again that you are on my side.
*They've often said that too.
tHeWasTeDYouTh

the only comic books I have ever read are Invincible and The Crossed(damn this is insane)

I really never had comic books or manga as a kid, was never into it but those two that I mentioned really got me addicted
YOU'RE MESHI
DAMNYOUYAMATOTAKERUNOMIKOTOOOOOO!
phillosmaster

In response to South Burning's Stormwatch experience I'd recommend paying attention to the writers and follow them. The heart of the Stormwatch experience comes from Warren Ellis' run IMO. If you follow him around you get that level of quality on any of the books he writes for, but when other people take over his runs I feel they fail to connect with his style. The same thing happens with The Authority IMO.

I'm currently trying to read the Marvel Galactic reboot (Nova, Guardians Of The Galaxy, Iron Man, and the Thanos limited series). So far I'm okay with it. It still feels like popcorn action more than the space opera feel of the DnA run (Abnett and Lanning). They've yet to connect the dots to the old DnA run, which worries me because they really need to explain how Nova has his powers (considering the state of Richard Rider and the Nova corp in the previous run). Also how Rocket and Gamora can appear as Guardians in Sam's backstory (timeline doesn't add up). How Starlord is back and how he convinced the Guardian's to reform. Why he's wearing his old outfit, using his old gun and flying in what looks like his old lost ship. I'll be very unsatisfied if they just sweep all that under the rug.

If you haven't read the DnA Galactic stuff for marvel (starting with Annihilation then Annihilation Conquest and followed up by the Nova and Guardians 2008 series) then I highly recommend it. Fun stuff.
Even as we speak, the stealth bombers of the Brotherhood of Dada are swooping silently overhead. They’re using stealth bombs which level whole cities without even the slightest trace of noise or damage. Nothing remains of the world you knew and still you stand in the ruins, acting as if nothing has changed.
Mu La Flaga

So this thread has been kind of quiet for a bit.
But got a worthwhile post to make since I got some stuff recently while on holidays.

Iron Man: War Machine
War Machine vs Iron Man aka Iron Man: Hands of the Mandarin
ZeonsSilverStar

Just wanted to breathe some more life into this thread. Before the week is out I will be all caught up with the current run of Ultimate Spider-Man. I just finished Cataclysm and while it was mostly crowd control, except for the sad exchange between Miles and his dad, I enjoyed it. Also at some point in the future I have to get caught up with Red Hood and the Outlaws.
''Do you always have to stare at me like I just drowned your goldfish?'' Xigbar
Dark Duel

Red Hood and the Outlaws...got weird. It's still great, but it got very weird.
I recently added to my collection the online "Justice League Beyond 2.0" series, which was sadly cancelled apparently, as well as "Batman Beyond 2.0"...which is AWESOME. And still running.

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
ZeonsSilverStar

I guessing the weirdness starts after Vol. 2, that's as far as I've read so far. Still looking forward to it.
Last night I read Static Shock Special and I wasn't crazy about the art in the first story but I absolutely loved the Dwayne McDuffie tribute at the end. Mam that thing had me tearing up.
Also as of last night Iam completely caught with Ultimate Spider-Man. I can't say I'm crazy about Bendis bringing Peter back but I'm willing to wait and see how the arc ends.
Last edited by ZeonsSilverStar on Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kratos

These days, I'm only reading Saga, Hawkeye (whenever it's actually out...I routinely forget to include it because it's been so long between issues) and Ultimate Spidey.
ZeonsSilverStar wrote:Just wanted to breathe some more life into this thread. Before the week is out I will be all caught up with the current run of Ultimate Spider-Man. I just finished Cataclysm and while it was mostly crowd control, except for the sad exchange between Miles and his dad, I enjoyed it.
I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on the current stuff!
"The beast of opportunity finds its master and soars through a shaken cosmos"
ZeonsSilverStar

Kratos wrote:These days, I'm only reading Saga, Hawkeye (whenever it's actually out...I routinely forget to include it because it's been so long between issues) and Ultimate Spidey.
ZeonsSilverStar wrote:Just wanted to breathe some more life into this thread. Before the week is out I will be all caught up with the current run of Ultimate Spider-Man. I just finished Cataclysm and while it was mostly crowd control, except for the sad exchange between Miles and his dad, I enjoyed it.
I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on the current stuff!
I'm glad the writers wasted no time in jumping back into the action after the Roxxon arc , but like I mentioned earlier I've got mixed feelings about the apparent return of Peter. Not only would undermine his death but I feel it would ultimately marginalize Miles. Kind of a silly feeling since his name is the title of the comic. Of course this Peter could be the long rumored Ultimate Scarlet Spider and if that were the case I'd be cool with that.

Now on the characters or rather character relations I'm curious as to what Bend is has in store for Jefferson and Kate. Both just ran off when learning of Miles' secret. In Kate's case we see that she had some regrets and fears, involving her parents, about her choice but we haven't seen hide nor hair of Jefferson since Cataclysm. To my understanding issue 8 will that so I guess I'm stuck waiting.
hitokirigarou

Looks like Marvel officially ended their Earth-616 (core/mainstream) and Earth-1610 (Ultimate) universes. Some of the characters from both universes are still alive, though, but they now reside on a new world.

http://oi57.tinypic.com/2zej6ea.jpg
YokozunaBulldozer

The Superior Foes of Spider-Man is fun to read, very funny.
Feels like a Comedy Central show.
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
phillosmaster

To chime in on my comments above from two years ago Marvel Cosmic did turn out the way I feared. All hand waving and no dot connecting. They basically just twisted it to line up with the depiction in the GotG movie. I liked the movie, but as a long time fan I was turned off by their trashing of the established characterizations and tone. That coupled with Battleworld basically rebooting much of the continuity has killed my enthusiasm for Marvel. I am reading Captain America White in issues which has been amazing, but that may be mostly because it stands on it's own.

Most of the other bright spots in Marvel's recent history for me has been the same (mostly standalones): Ellis' Moonknight, Soule's She-Hulk, Superior Foes, Ms. Marvel. You don't need to follow the big events to get into any of those books and those are my recommends if people are trade hunting.

I never reconnected with DC after the New 52, and now Convergence seems to have jumbled their continuity yet again so I'm not too excited about jumping onto any of their titles.

From other publishers I've been collecting in issues the following: Trees, Saga, B.P.R.D. Hell On Earth, Hellboy in Hell and the Walking Dead.
Even as we speak, the stealth bombers of the Brotherhood of Dada are swooping silently overhead. They’re using stealth bombs which level whole cities without even the slightest trace of noise or damage. Nothing remains of the world you knew and still you stand in the ruins, acting as if nothing has changed.
Dark Duel

The only thing I've really been keeping my eye on lately is Dark Horse Comics's Avatar: The Last Airbender comics. I have all but two of the previous ones, and I need to pick up the new Smoke and Shadow Part 1 comic that came out a little earlier this year/month(I forget the exact release date and can't be bothered to look it up ATM). I'm rather looking forward to that, and they're going to be releasing Legend of Korra comics at some point in the near future that pick up right after the series ended, which I am quite eagerly anticipating.
But that's pretty much it. Haven't really been paying much attention to Marvel at all, and I stopped keeping an eye on DC around the time Red Hood & the Outlaws ended.

Henyo

recently finished reading a local Comic Book.
ang kagila gilalas na pakikipagsapalaran ni Zsa Zsa Zaturnah.(The Fabulous Adventures of Zsa Zsa Zaturnah.)

it was fun. even if its a parody of Wonder Woman and the local version, Darna. if you want to read about a Gay character done well. try this. if you can understand tagalog(or in the mood to use translation websites.)

good thing i bought the sequel book! :D
MOOK: ITS A YURI FANBOY!