What books are you reading?

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
adrastuscomic

Re: What books are you reading?

Currently in the middle of American Gods, by Neil Gaiman. (My first Gaiman experience. Can I have my Nerd License back now? :) )

I want to read Jim Butcher's Codex Alara series, but my library didn't have the first book when I went, which is how I ended up with Gaiman. I love the Dresden Files!
Adrastus: A Girl, a Secret Agent, and a Giant Robot
My web-comic. Updates Mon, Wed, Fri!
Vent Noir

Finished Silver Phoenix, which I liked, but felt too short. I'm probably going to try and get my hands on the sequel, Fury of the Phoenix, once I come back from my trip to the US (Anime Expo and San Diego Comic Con).

Next up, Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
Kristina Pino

adrastuscomic wrote:Currently in the middle of American Gods, by Neil Gaiman. (My first Gaiman experience. Can I have my Nerd License back now? :) )

I want to read Jim Butcher's Codex Alara series, but my library didn't have the first book when I went, which is how I ended up with Gaiman. I love the Dresden Files!
Actually, American Gods was only the second Neil Gaiman book I picked up, right behind Fragile Things which someone lent me to get a feel for his kind of writing in a short story collection before reading anything else. I hope you enjoy it! I'm pretty excited for the upcoming adaptation.

As for what I'm currently reading since it's the thread topic, it's Hoot by Carl Hiaasen. Before that, I polished of Gaiman/Pratchett's Good Omens and Diana Wynne Jones' House of Many Ways.
Kristina Travels, Tweets, Writes About Toys, Reads, Reviews Anime; just generally blogs way too much.

Last game played: Trine. Last book read: The Whip. Last gunpla built: SD Stargazer Gundam.
Reading: Peter Pan.
Watching: Fairy Tail, Gundam00.

"You ought to keep one foot out of your mouth. You may need it to run." (Chiana, Farscape)
Vent Noir

Finished Bitterblue. Kept me enthralled, although the climax was lacking.

Next up, The Sending by Isobelle Carmody. A nice, thick book to take with me on my trip to the US (and two more in my bag).
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
schwarz ritter

Finished reading Halo Glasslands. It sucks.
Reinhard: "Of course, grades in school aren't a good indicator. They focus too much on memorization and imitation, and don't foster imagination."
Kircheis: "What you find important are imaginative and conceptual capabilities, right?"
Reinhard: "That's right."
Kristina Pino

I recently read The Whip which is about Charley Parkhurst, a Wells Fargo stagecoach driver in the Old West (mid 1800s). It's based on facts and I'm surprised I'd never heard of Charley - she dressed as a man and moved out to the West, killed an infamous bandit, etc etc. Total bad-ass status.

The book is great. I hope eventually it becomes a movie~
Kristina Travels, Tweets, Writes About Toys, Reads, Reviews Anime; just generally blogs way too much.

Last game played: Trine. Last book read: The Whip. Last gunpla built: SD Stargazer Gundam.
Reading: Peter Pan.
Watching: Fairy Tail, Gundam00.

"You ought to keep one foot out of your mouth. You may need it to run." (Chiana, Farscape)
mcred23

I finished Dune, which more than lived up to its reputation. It was a hair slow early on, and as Antares said it isn't exactly easy with all the stuff in it (There were times it seemed I was going to the glossary in the back every two minutes), but the last half of the book seemed to fly by. I really enjoyed it, and I plan to read the sequels at some point, but I don't want to jump into those just yet, so I'll save those for down the line.

At the moment, I'm not sure what I'm going to read. I picked up a few things I've been wanting to read for a while, but I've yet to pick which I'll get into first. 8)
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
mcred23

Well, I breezed though Helmet for My Pillow by Robert Leckie. It was one of the books that The Pacific miniseries was based on, and as I expected, was pretty faithful to the book, which was itself a pretty good read.

With that time, I'm diving back into sci fi by rereading Ender's Game. I picked up the first few sequels to it, none of which I have read, but I want read the first book again before going into those...

tHeWasTeDYouTh

oh man I am reading this book called "The Gulag Archipelago" by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

amazing book!!!! you guys need to read it, Read 1984 BEFORE this and then you will understand everything that book was talking about
YOU'RE MESHI
DAMNYOUYAMATOTAKERUNOMIKOTOOOOOO!
Vent Noir

Finished The Sending - just one book in The Obernewtyn Chronicles to come... allegedly.

Now onto Avalon: Web of Magic by Rachel Roberts.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

Antares

After finishing with Pratchett's new Snuff (which was, frankly, aside from the ending, better than I expected, given the slowly declining quality of the previous books), I'm going for a classic: Kafka's The Trial. My lord but the slabs to text without paragraphs are disheartening to behold, page after page. :D
-We will not be caught by surprise!
*Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words.
-Then I am glad once again that you are on my side.
*They've often said that too.
SlowTurtle

Started reading the wheel of time novels, anybody have a clue has to how many novels there are so far?
"Someone once told me that time is a predator that stalks us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment because they'll never come again."
--Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Star Trek: Generations
vivianny

I'm reading Carole King's new memoir, A Natural Woman.Might & Magic Duel of Champions is the latest spin-off from Ubisoft's long-running RPG franchise, and the game will be coming out later this year on PC and iPad.
Last edited by vivianny on Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vent Noir

Finished the first Avalon: Web of Magic collection, which was fun, and I wouldn't mind seeing more in the series.

Next up, In Fury Born by David Weber.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

SlowTurtle

Put wheel of time on hold an started reading Out Of OZ.
"Someone once told me that time is a predator that stalks us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment because they'll never come again."
--Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Star Trek: Generations
mcred23

After I finished Ender's Game, I then read through Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide, and just finished Children of the Mind. I really enjoyed all three, although Speaker for the Dead seemed to take a bit to really get going, and Children of the Mind felt a bit short (Although that might just be in comparison to Xenocide, which is a bit longer than the other three :lol:).

With those taken care of, and some good luck at finding a bunch of things at Barnes & Noble, I'm sticking with the Ender-verse by reading Ender's Shadow next.

Antares

Ashamed to admit I haven't read Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse Five before. Rectifying that oversight now.
-We will not be caught by surprise!
*Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words.
-Then I am glad once again that you are on my side.
*They've often said that too.
Vent Noir

Taking a break from In Fury Born to read Chicks Dig Time Lords. I'll get back onto IFB when I'm done with it.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

Malcadon

I'm in the middle of reading some old Doc Savage yarns, by Lester Dent (namely: Death in Sliver, The Golden Peril, Cold Death, The South Pole Terror). To give you guys an idea on how these stories play out, imagine Jonas Venture of the old Team Venture, but set in the '30s, and without that annoying little redhead (in fact, Doc Savage was a major inspiration for Jonas Venture, and Buckaroo Banzai of all people). They are great works of fiction, and I really enjoy the character dynamics between Monk and Ham.

Monk is super-genus scientist in a hairy, ape-like body (think classic Hank McCoy), while Ham is like a snooty, high-nosed, stiff butler-like layer, who caries a sword in his cane. Monk has a small pet pig--Habeas-Corpus--who has been trained to get on Ham's nerves (eventually Man got a pet ape--Chemistry--to get under Monk's nerves). They both go at it like Bones and Spock... Well, more like an old married couple. =P
Vent Noir

Finished In Fury Born, which was fun Mil-SF. Now on to The Intrigues of Haruhi Suzumiya.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter