What books are you reading?

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
Wingnut

Re: What books are you reading?

Vent Noir wrote:Something I should have mentioned here: I met Kylie Chan, author of the book I'm currently reading, last week. I'd just reached the point where a character with the same name as me has been introduced, and she told me, "You're going to hate me when you read the ending." So I'm bracing myself.
I don't even know what book you're talking about, but this does provide me with the oppertunity to use a certain line in regard to what I think will happen.
"Omae wa mo shindeiru" :lol:
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Vent Noir

Wingnut wrote:
Vent Noir wrote:Something I should have mentioned here: I met Kylie Chan, author of the book I'm currently reading, last week. I'd just reached the point where a character with the same name as me has been introduced, and she told me, "You're going to hate me when you read the ending." So I'm bracing myself.
I don't even know what book you're talking about, but this does provide me with the oppertunity to use a certain line in regard to what I think will happen.
"Omae wa mo shindeiru" :lol:
It's the one I mentioned in my previous post, Heaven to Wudang.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
Dark Duel

In between bouts of reading Legacy of the Drow by R.A. Salvatore, which is holding my interest far less than the two previous books in the series did, I've been reading my way through I am Number Four after seeing and deeply enjoying the movie. The book, predictably, is even better because it goes into so much more depth and background, and there are some scenes not in the film that I really wish HAD been there.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Blightstrider

Just started reading GRRM's "A Dance with Dragons", so far, so good.

I assume we have a lot of people here starting that book now?
Kallor said: 'I walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I have commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I have spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes,' said Caladan Brood, 'you never learn.'
Ryujin

Blightstrider wrote:Just started reading GRRM's "A Dance with Dragons", so far, so good.

Got it today, now to see if it justifies the wait.
valkyriepilot

Ryujin wrote:
Blightstrider wrote:Just started reading GRRM's "A Dance with Dragons", so far, so good.

wow, you are lucky people :) still waiting for A Dance with Dragons to reach our shores...

curious though, is it only the hardcover out or did they release the paperback as well too?
Soma Taozi
Location: Singing 'By Your Side' to a bunch of soldiers in Club Eden.

I personally can't wait to Dance with some Dragons, but first I have to Clash some Kings, Storm some Swords, and Feast with some Crows. It is a good thing that I already Gamed some Thrones or I would be worried...

eh? EH?!

GET IT?!!!

I am leaving now...
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
Blightstrider

valkyriepilot wrote:
Ryujin wrote:

wow, you are lucky people :) still waiting for A Dance with Dragons to reach our shores...

curious though, is it only the hardcover out or did they release the paperback as well too?
The book is nearly one-thousand pages, I believe only hard-cover is available unless they re-release it split in two. Like Storm.

EDIT: No, there is a paperpack, but it won't be released for around 288 more days. Source below.

http://www.bookdepository.com/Dance-wit ... 0002247405
Kallor said: 'I walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I have commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I have spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes,' said Caladan Brood, 'you never learn.'
valkyriepilot

^ Thank you for the info. :) I guess I'll have to wait for a while then, look for other books to turn my attention to...
mcred23

I finished Starship Troopers last night, which, to put it simply, was certainly an interesting read, so I was happy that I finally did so.

With that finished, I decided to go to Barnes & Noble and pick up a couple of things. The first one I'm reading is Inside the Third Reich, the memoirs of Albert Speer, which was recommended to me by a professor I had for two classes. I only just started it, so I can't really comment yet...
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
Vent Noir

Just finished Heaven to Wudang, and enjoyed it, although I'm annoyed that the ending was obviously stretching things out for another series. Oh, and as for what happened to the character with the same name as me...
Spoiler
He didn't die. He got captured by demons and tortured (including being raped). Removing the memories would risk inflicting irreversible damage, so he's going to need a lot of therapy.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
valkyriepilot

I just finished "Tongues of Serpents", 6th book in Naomi Novik's Temeraire series. For some reason, this one lacked the epic battles that the previous books had. And Temeraire barely used the Divine Wind... But a good read all in all, lots of character development in this book 8)
Vent Noir

Gotten to the end of Sword and Sorceress XXII. As with most short story anthologies, some stuff I liked, some I didn't, this time skewing towards ones I liked (although there was one I really hated).

I'm now onto The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

Vent Noir

Finished The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya. I'd already seen the movie, but I enjoyed it anyway. Incidentally, I believe the "endless eight" short story is in the next book. For proper effect, after I finish it, should I go back and read it seven more times in a row?

Anyway, next up is Modesty Blaise by Peter O'Donnell. I don't read much spy fiction, but I'm giving this a shot.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

Vent Noir

Finished Modesty Blaise and really enjoyed it. Jennifer K. Stuller (author of Ink-Stained Amazons and Cinematic Warriors called Modesty "The most complex, sophisticated, skilled and intelligent of all action heroines", and I can definitely see those qualities. I'll have to read the other books in the series, or better yet, hunt down collections of the comic strip.

Up next, Guardian of the Dead by Karen Healey.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

G-Slayer
Location: In the fridge, behind the mayonnaise, next to the ketchup, and to the left of the coleslaw.

I'm currently rereading The Art of Jaime Hernandez: The Secrets of Life and Death, written by Todd Hignite, following the life and career of the man behind the Love and Rockets comic book series. I've been a fan of Jaime's work prior to this book and so far it's been a real treat.

After this, it's Richard Yates' Revolutionary Road.
"That's it! I'll never Gundam the pilot again, Bright!"--Amuro Ray

My YouTube Channel!

My Photobucket Album!

My Gunpla Blog!
Vent Noir

Got to the end of Guardian of the Dead, which I enjoyed. Likeable protagonist and the Maori mythology was interesting.

Up next, Gunnerkrigg Court volume 3, which should really go in the comics thread.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

Antares

Murakami's What I Talk About When I Talk About Running. It was OK, I guess, but since it was non-fiction about running, it was a bit, well, meh.
-We will not be caught by surprise!
*Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words.
-Then I am glad once again that you are on my side.
*They've often said that too.
MechaQueen
Location: Somewhere in the Milky Way. That's as fine-lined as it gets.

A Brave New World- Aldous Huxley
Vent Noir

Gotten to the end of Chicks in Capes - as usual with short story anthologies, some stories I liked and some I didn't. On the whole, not quite as good as Sword and Sorceress XXII, but I still enjoyed it.

Up next, The Rampage of Haruhi Suzumiya. This is the book that contains "Endless Eight" - if I want to replicate the feeling of watching the anime, after I finish that story, should I re-read it seven times?
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter