What books are you reading?

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
zabimustdie

Re: What books are you reading?

I've heard so much about Foundation! I hope to read it one day. Right now I am reading book 2 in the Age of Fire series, Dragon Avenger. I'm also reading Dragons of a Fallen Sun. Next up will be Machine of Death, The Name of the Wind, The Guin Saga vol. 1, Dr. McNinja vol. 1, Tron: Betrayal, and a few Sonic Archive books. You all are reading such great stuff!
"Where there is no death, there is life." - Ghost in Chronopolis, Chrono Cross
Antares

Started with the "Lymond Chronicles" by Dorothy Dunnett. First book, The Game of Kings done, waiting for the next one. Meanwhile read Battle Royale (the book) and The Dragon with a Girl Tattoo, a pretty good parody on Stieg Larsson's original The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.
-We will not be caught by surprise!
*Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words.
-Then I am glad once again that you are on my side.
*They've often said that too.
mcred23

I finished A Man of Honor, which was very interesting in how Bonanno tried to point out just how different things were from movies and whatnot, along with the various odds and ends that happened to him.

So, the Borders near me was closing and had everything on sale, so I actually got more new books! :shock: The first one, which I just started reading, is Rangers in World War II by Robert W. Black.
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
teslashark

mcred23 wrote:I finished A Man of Honor, which was very interesting in how Bonanno tried to point out just how different things were from movies and whatnot, along with the various odds and ends that happened to him.

So, the Borders near me was closing and had everything on sale, so I actually got more new books! :shock: The first one, which I just started reading, is Rangers in World War II by Robert W. Black.
Lucky you, got Borders with you. All hail Capitalism!
Junior mod at forum.spacebattles.com
Vent Noir

Nearly at the end of The Boredom of Haruhi Suzumiya. It's only taken me four months to read a 200 page book, so you can tell I haven't been distracted or procrastinating at all (this shouldn't be taken as saying the book wasn't entertaining).

Up next, Tamora Pierce's short story collection Tortall and Other Lands.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
Jennuxia

Excavation by James Rollins, and Ragtime by E.L. Doctorow (ugh, English class)
If you like RPing over IRC, please check out my mecha roleplay! I need people!
http://mechagame.webs.com/
Zball

I've been a busy reading bee. Read Neil Gaiman's collection Fragile Things and, like I find all his work, exhausted me. I was entirely wrung out upon reading it. He does things with words that I've only found one other author to be capable of doing. Amazing, really.

Other than that, I read Avi Marmel's Conqueror's Shadow and Warlord's Legacy. Fantasy novels can actually be fun. Sure a few of his descriptors were overused, but the stories were solid and interesting. It was also quite nifty to see the typical fantasy hero actually being a villain to fight other villains (or heroes, for that matter). Swords and magic and whatnot, but very little actual fighting. There are these giant armies and only the barest minimum of combat. I kinda liked it.
Whatever works.
mcred23

After much delay caused by video games, a new laptop, and watching ZZ, I finally finished Rangers in World War II. Very interesting overview of all the Ranger units and their operations, but predictably light on the heavy details of most their actions.

The other book I got at Borders was The Korean War by Max Hastings. It's another case of I already know a good bit about the war, but I haven't really read anything covering the entire war, and it looked interesting (And was cheap :mrgreen:).

mcred23

After much more delay caused by the same things as before, I finished The Korean War. It was very interesting and I learned some new things.

Anyway, cause that book got me thinking about it, the next book I'm going to read is Pork Chop Hill by S. L. A. Marshall. Or in this case, re-read, as it's another of those I've read a number of times over the years, but the last time was a couple of years back...

Antares

R. Scott Bakker's White Luck Warrior, book two of the Aspect-Emperor series. Bakker can be heavily recommended by me as a solid fantasy epic, where being crazy is more commonplace than one would expect.
-We will not be caught by surprise!
*Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words.
-Then I am glad once again that you are on my side.
*They've often said that too.
mcred23

Moving into another re-read for fun, I'm back to Tom Clancy's Red Storm Rising. It's one of my favorite books, and it'll make for good reading on a flight to New York this week. :mrgreen:

Vent Noir

Okay, after two and a half frickin' months (due to getting distracted by SRW Z2, among other things), I've finally finished Tortall and other Lands. Like most short story anthologies, some stories I enjoyed, others I didn't.

I'm now on to Badass: Birth of a Legend, the sequel to the first Badass book.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
G-Slayer
Location: In the fridge, behind the mayonnaise, next to the ketchup, and to the left of the coleslaw.

My latest book is actually for kids. I enjoyed Roger Hargreaves' Mr. Men (and Little Miss) series as a kid, so I just picked up Mr. Impossible from my local hobby shop.
"That's it! I'll never Gundam the pilot again, Bright!"--Amuro Ray

My YouTube Channel!

My Photobucket Album!

My Gunpla Blog!
Vent Noir

Finished Badass: Birth of a Legend, which was just as much fun as the first Badass book.

Next up, something more serious. Ink-Stained Amazons and Cinematic Warriors: Superwomen in Modern Mythology by Jennifer K. Stuller.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

Vent Noir

Finished Ink-Stained Amazons and Cinematic Warriors. Short, but some good insights. Now (finally) in to Rocket Girls: The Last Planet.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

Vent Noir

I absolutely ate up Rocket Girls: The Last Planet, and can't wait for the third and fourth books, which the anime did not cover.

Next up: Heaven to Wudang, the final book in Kylie Chan's Journey to Wudang trilogy.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

Mekton GM

Just finished Star Wars: The Old Republic: Fatal Alliance, slow pace with a generic plot but ties it self to the game's story very well. been meaning to finish Red Star Rising but stoped about 3/4ths of the way through cuz the hard cover copy i was given was a 2 in 1 bundel with Cardnal of the Kremlin and the binding tore halfway in the second book's section and i have yet to finish it. Also just started The Wheel of Time series with Eye of the World
The Great great great great great great great great grandfather of HOWARD MASON!!!!!!
Xbox Live Gamertag: Anubis214
prince_of_zeon

I'm working my way through Neuromancer while getting started with the Wheel of Time series...should I start with the first book (Eye of the World) or the prequel (New Spring)?
Twat me: http://twitter.com/#!/Podsyboy

Subscribe/comment me: http://www.youtube.com/user/AlphaAeizeru

Did Fats Goodman really die at the end of "Fats' Counterattack?"
mcred23

Well, sadly, my trip didn't happen, so the Red Storm Rising took longer than expected. Still, it one of my favorite books.

Next up is a book I've wanted to read for years, and actually went out and bought a few weeks ago mainly on impluse after hearing a Yes song that got me thinking about it, Robert A. Heinlein's Starship Troopers. It's got quite a reputation, so I'm looking foward to getting started on it tomorrow. 8)

Vent Noir

Something I should have mentioned here: I met Kylie Chan, author of the book I'm currently reading, last week. I'd just reached the point where a character with the same name as me has been introduced, and she told me, "You're going to hate me when you read the ending." So I'm bracing myself.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter