What books are you reading?

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
ShadowCell

Re: What books are you reading?

God Knows, by Joseph Heller.

I freakin' love Heller's sense of humor.
Kavik Ryx

Recently finished Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell. An excellent experimentalist novel seen through the eyes of six individuals, going forwards and backwards in time. A tad gimmicky, but Mitchell's beautiful pros make this a wonderful read, especially for anyone who loves a book with a hint of cynical charm.

Currently reading Mitchell's earliest work Ghostwritten. Equally amazing.
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

Oh snap.

I've found the entirety of Journey to the West hosted online as freeware.

Read it: http://www.chine-informations.com/fichiers/jourwest.pdf (2.56Mb)

As for me, I won't be posting in this thread much, if at all. I don't really read many books, but have done a few Chinese and Indian epics. Plus a Richard Feynman book. I'm more of a "webpage reader". >_> I read "Monkey" (alternate title for the book I linked) a few years ago when I found a copy of it in my college library. The book was old as hell. It was awesome. =D
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
Vent Noir

Finished Red Phoenix, and enjoyed it. The main character apparently isn't what I thought she was... probably. I'm gonna have to read book 3.

But first... one I've heard some good things about, Brendan Sanderson's Mistborn.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
Oruma

just finished moving pictures, will spend time between reading Witches Abroad and re-reading Reaper Man.
"So...what does the Uncertainty Principle really mean?"
"Sorry, I'm not sure."
Mr. Hanekoma

I started Battlefield Earth a few days ago. Not terrible, but not too great either. Once I've finished it I intend to start A Song of Ice and Fire again in the hopes that by the time I finish it the next book will be out.
They're high on the watchtowers
Keeping the peace, whatever that means
'Cause you see the world through,
Crosshairs and T.V.s don't you?
Bonesy!

finished Under the Dome by Stephen King, good book
Googled by Ken something or other, good book
the new hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy, good book
some oxford press book about ronald reagan, interesting read
currently on backlog: some book about the knights templar, and another about a bunch of dudes in the confederate south that essentially engaged in guerilla warfare against the south because they didn't care for the south's policies in various matters
mcred23

Well, after finishing The Longest Day, I spent the last month going through the Jedi Academy Trilogy (Another long overdue re-reading) and Mass Effect: Revelation, which I re-read since I got Mass Effect 2 on the 26th at midnight. I literally just started reading Pegasus Bridge by Stephen Ambrose, which shouldn't take long (It's not even 200 pages), and after that, I'm going to read Parachute Infantry by David Kenyon Webster, which I am really looking foward too.
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
fusion

Finished up with -
Emergency sex, and other desperate measures - which is about 3 former UN workers, during the 90's. Very eye opening stuff, and just be carefull near the end, it can, be downright a little depressing, hearts of darkness, lord of the flies.......
Licensed to Kill, by Robert Young Pelton - a brief overview of PMC's in todays fights. I'm also awaitin his next edition of guide to worlds most dangerous places, which is gonna be swapped to "Dangerous Places, Professional Strength". A great resource for going off the beaten path, and perfect for backpack reading.
Re readin some of the various warhammer 40k stuff (Gav Thorpe and Dan Abnett), and the ever classic Mack "the bastard Bolan series, aka the executioner. the old old versions.
It's a little thing, mind over matter. I don't mind, you don't matter.

Bang Bang - WR2
South Burning

I'm reading the 5th book in the Orphanage series of books by Robert Buettner which is called Orphans Triumph. This is military hardware science fiction at its very best. I hesitated to read these books because so much military sci fi gets bogged down in details and descriptions, but these books are fast moving with short chapters and a great narrative style. I heartily recommend them.........I also noticed that someone was reading Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. You MUST read The Fountainhead. This book came before Atlas and it espouses her philosophy of individualism without as much "preaching". I read The Fountainhead while I was doing a stint in a large corporate environment and it had such a profound effect on me that I left the company. It's great stuff.
Pkmatrix

I just read Wide Sargasso Sea for one of my classes, and now I'm supposed to start reading Memoirs of a Slave Girl, but I'm toying with reading Beowulf instead.
Antares

The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón. Man, this was hyped and yeah, it was a nice historical love story. Has a lot to do with Spain and books, so if you are familiar with both, some of the otherworldly mystique may suffer from that. It was an okay read in the plane, but it wasn't anything spectacular. Maybe I am not in the target audience for it to begin with, since I am currently finding The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman to be much better. ;)
-We will not be caught by surprise!
*Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words.
-Then I am glad once again that you are on my side.
*They've often said that too.
Vent Noir

Mistborn wasn't clicking with me, for some reason. I'm setting it aside, maybe I'll come back to it later. For now, I'll read Peacekeeper by Laura E. Reeve, which hopefully will be more my thing.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
Vent Noir

Didn't really enjoy Peacekeeper (I found the main character hard to like), but at least I got through it this time. I'm now on to the short story anthology A Girl's Guide to Guns and Monsters.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

ZeroBusterXX

Just finished: Needful Things, and Stardust. I liked the former and loved the latter.

I also recently read The Art of War and The Book of Five Rings. I preferred The Book of Five Rings over The Art of War. But they both had some great stuff.

Now I'm reading Good Omens. I love me some Neil Gaiman. This book is too hilarious.
mcred23

So I finished Parachute Infantry, which was very good (As was Pegasus Bridge, but short). I'm just about to start reading The Bridge At Remagen by Ken Hechler, which I saw and grabbed at Border's mainly for the hell of it/having something new to read. I also got Mass Effect: Ascension, which I'll read after that (And probably lead to another marathon of playing Mass Effect 2 :mrgreen:).
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
Vent Noir

Finished A Girl's Guide to Guns and Monsters. As with most anthologies, some good stuff, some not-so-good stuff.

Next up, the final of the Dark Heavens trilogy, Blue Dragon.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

ShadowCell

Bastards & Boneheads: Canada's Glorious Leaders Past and Present by Will Ferguson.

The Bastards and Boneheads ranking system is remarkably powerful, I must admit.
Antares

D-Day by Antony Beevor. Pretty interesting stuff to get that deep into history. What I have gleaned from it so far is that war is a horrible, horrible waste of lives, on both sides.

Yes, I am currently out of fiction, and I am not allowed to buy more until the pile of non-fiction accumulated is read through. :P
-We will not be caught by surprise!
*Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words.
-Then I am glad once again that you are on my side.
*They've often said that too.
Vent Noir

Finished Blue Dragon, and looking forward to the sequel trilogy, Journey to Wudang.

Up next, more Chinese mythological flavor, with Twelve Kingdoms novel 3.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter