What books are you reading?

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
Vent Noir

Re: What books are you reading?

Gotten to the end of Sword and Sorceress XXV. Not as good as XXIV, but still enjoyable.

Now onto The Stone Key, the fifth in the six-part (so far) Obernewtyn trilogy, the first book of which was published when I was in primary school. And they keep getting longer - this one's a thousand-page doorstopper, which has been sitting on my shelf for ages.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
zabimustdie

Reading The Martian Chronicles. I didn't know they made a graphic novel of it. Saw it at the library. After that I'm going on to Foundation, and then maybe American gods.
"Where there is no death, there is life." - Ghost in Chronopolis, Chrono Cross
Vent Noir

Finished The Stone Key, which I enjoyed, although the latter part of the book dragged a bit.

Next up, Jane Carver of Waar by Nathan Long, described as a 21st century take on Edgar Rice Burroughs' John Carter of Mars books.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
Antares

-We will not be caught by surprise!
*Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words.
-Then I am glad once again that you are on my side.
*They've often said that too.
Vent Noir

Finished Jane Carver of Waar. Not Shakespeare by any means, but it's a fun 21st-century version of pulp sci-fi.

Next up, Kris Longknife: Redoubtable by Mike Shepherd.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

SlowTurtle

Started reading the Game of Thrones books, on book one right now then on to book two.
"Someone once told me that time is a predator that stalks us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment because they'll never come again."
--Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Star Trek: Generations
Vent Noir

Finished Kris Longknife: Redoubtable, which was fun mil-SF. Next up, Sword and Sorceress XXVI.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

Dark Duel

Re-rereading, for the nth time, Tolkien's Bible - sorry, I meant to say Tolkien's Silmarillion.
Profoundly depressing, but such an epic book nonetheless.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
BloodKnight

I finally got around to starting the "Vampire Hunter D" novels. So far so good!
ZeonsSilverStar

I picked up the Mobile Suit Gundam novel off of Amazon about two weeks ago and I'm a few pages away from Escalation. So far there are differences from the series, both major and minor, but I'm enjoying it.
''Do you always have to stare at me like I just drowned your goldfish?'' Xigbar
Vent Noir

Finished Sword and Sorceress XXVI, which I found to be not as good as previous installments. Too much sorceress and not enough sword this time around, for mine.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

Vent Noir

Okay, forgot to mention what my next book was last post. It was Kris Longknife: Daring, which, like Redoubtable was fun mil-SF, with the bonus of a major change in the status quo this time around (although on the other hand, the tail end of the book felt long).

Next up, Gathering of the Lost by Helen Lowe.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

mcred23

After much delay caused by school, video games, various sports, and all sorts of other stuff, I finally finished Soldat. I haven't read much from the German perspective, so it was interesting and enjoyable.

With that done and the semester winding down, I've decided to read Frank Herbert's Dune for the first time. All I know about it comes from places other than the book (Video games and tiny bits of the movie, that sorta stuff), so I have no idea what I'm getting into here. :mrgreen:
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
G-Slayer
Location: In the fridge, behind the mayonnaise, next to the ketchup, and to the left of the coleslaw.

Trying to finish up on The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, but the story just drags on after the main plot. Hopefully The Girl Who Played with Fire will be a bit easier to digest.
"That's it! I'll never Gundam the pilot again, Bright!"--Amuro Ray

My YouTube Channel!

My Photobucket Album!

My Gunpla Blog!
Antares

@mcred: Dune isn't easy going the first time; I liked much more on the second read. I'm still amazed I got through it given that Dune - The battle for Arrakis (the game) was what sent me reading it. :P

@G-Slayer: Humm, I thought the first book was the best one, the last book was the least tidily kept together. So I don't know how you'll feel about it.

New books have arrived to my shelves, but they are mostly non-fiction... I could talk about some of them but since that would mean politics (one is Michael Otterman's American Torture), so probably won't get to them here.

I did re-read all of my Don Rosa Uncle Scrooge comic collections. Yeah, Disney stuff. I am so sad that he retired, his art and storylines are just fantastic.
-We will not be caught by surprise!
*Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words.
-Then I am glad once again that you are on my side.
*They've often said that too.
Vent Noir

Finished Gathering of the Lost (took more time than usual due to playing SRW). Enjoyable and I'm looking forward to the sequel, but I got confused in a few places.

Up next, Supergods by Grant Morrison.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

SlowTurtle

Started reading Star Trek Destiny, not to far into it but from what I've read so far it's pretty good.
"Someone once told me that time is a predator that stalks us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment because they'll never come again."
--Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Star Trek: Generations
Vent Noir

Finished Supergods. Truth be told, I'm not as big a fan of Grant Morrison as some people, but I enjoyed this history of superheroes cum autobiography (even if the autobiographical parts sometimes got a bit self-indulgent).

Up next, more on comicsL Chicks Dig Comics by Lynne M. Thomas and Sigrid Ellis.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

tHeWasTeDYouTh

I am currently reading "CLOUD ATLAS"

pretty good so far but the start is kinda slow

I am planning on reading the Game of Thrones books after I finish my current book
YOU'RE MESHI
DAMNYOUYAMATOTAKERUNOMIKOTOOOOOO!
Vent Noir

Finished Chicks Dig Comics. Enjoyed it, and I was pleasantly surprised by the interview with Greg Rucka where he says that, even though he's a straight male with no desire to change his sex, as a writer he identifies as female - I find that I'm similar myself (for example, when role-playing, I almost always play female characters, and, all else being equal, I prefer to watch a show/read a book with a female lead over one with a male lead).
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter