What books are you reading?

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
thanatos

Re: What books are you reading?

I got How the States Got Their Shapes for christmas and I'm slowly working through it. It's a great reference book, not something meant to be read cover to cover.
Aspiring CGO "Chief Gundam Officer"
liubei013

I managed to get a good deal on the Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy during the holidays, so I went and read the remaining two books.

I plan to start reading Asimov's Foundation series fairly soon...
Wilks Waldwika

On Killing: The Psychological Cost of Learning to Kill in War and Society by LTC Dave Grossman.
mcred23

Finished In The Company of Heros and it was extremely interesting. A must read for anyone who read Black Hawk Down.

Now up in my new book-a-thon is Generation Kill by Evan Wright. I saw the miniseries on HBO when it first aired a few years back and really enjoyed it, so now I'm finally reading the book on which it was based. I'm not too far into it, and it's been a while since I had a chance to watch the show, but so far it seems like the show stayed true to the book, which is also quite good.
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
mcred23

Finished Generation Kill. As I expected, HBO did a good job when they adapted it a few years ago. Very interesting book, which I enjoyed reading.

Third on my list-o-books is The Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks. I mainly got this because I'd heard it was good, and Fritzy recommended World War Z which I'd also heard about, so I figured I might as well read the first book since I had the extra money and wanted some new stuff.

Outlaw

In a brief fit of literacy I got Flatland, by Edwin A. Abbot, having heard it mentioned several times in my ramblings about the net. It was a brisk read, weighing in at only 77 pages, the first 41 or which were spent explaining the world of Flatland. Overall it was a fun book that now leaves me pondering how a four dimensional object might appear, and what kind of strange entities might be looking down upon us from just beyond the reach of our senses.
"“As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up reasons to kill one another."
Vent Noir

Finally gotten to the end of Valor's Trial. Took me long enough... not because I wasn't enjoying it, just because I was distracted by Super Robot Wars L and various other stuff. I'll be getting the next book in the series when it comes out in paperback.

Next up, The Boredom of Haruhi Suzumiya.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
mcred23

I finished The Zombie Survival Guide and World War Z, and really enjoyed both. The former was little bland, for lack of a better term, at some points, but it fits perfectly with what the book claims to be, so I can't really fault that. World War Z, which is more conventional with what I usually read in how it is presented, was excellent. My only gripes are that the sense of time in the book seems to jump around a bit (They say the war lasts ten years or something, but the passage of that amount of time isn't mentioned too much), and that I wish it was longer (It's 340-ish pages, but I flew through the thing).

With that done, I'm up to my fifth and final new book (Already :roll:), which is Mass Effect: Retribution. It's the third book in the series, and previous two were very well done, so I'm looking foward to seeing where this one takes the story (And to see how long it takes before I'm back on the crack that is playing Mass Effect 2 :mrgreen:).

mcred23

Finished Mass Effect: Retribution and avoided getting hooked on the game again (For the time being...). I enjoyed it, although it seemed somewhat short (Might be because it's somewhat fast paced). I'm now wondering where the story goes, as it clearly can continue, so that'll either be in a fourth novel or as part of the third game...

So, with no newly bought books, I grabbed an old one I had on my shelf but never actually read, A Man of Honor by Joseph Bonanno. Short version, he was the leader of one of the big mob familys in New York way back when. I caught most of a show about him on the Biography Channel, and this is one of the few books my dad has actually read, so I figure I might as well too. 8)

Dark Duel

Just finished Point of Impact by Stephen Hunter - which served as the template from which the film Shooter was written.
Excellent book.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Brave Fencer Kirby

re: WWZ, it's mentioned that the war took ten years, and the book was written ten years after that. It's implied that the war starts more or less "now", what with some thinly-veiled contemporary politicians (most notably in my mind, Colin Powell and Howard Dean as president and vice president, respectively) and other celebrities. Given that the book was released in 2006, combined with some of the political references (specifically regarding the presidential election), the Great Panic can pretty safely assumed to start sometime in 2007.

Anyway. The book I'm reading at the moment is The Way of Kings, by Brandon Sanderson. I'm actually rereading it, immediately after finishing it the first time, which I've never done before. Safe to say that the book is so damn dense (but in a good way) and the ending changes things so radically, I felt that rereading it to catch some of the hints and details was worth it. I'm a shameless Brandon Sanderson fanboy; everything I've read of his has been great. Hopefully The Stormlight Archive series (of which The Way of Kings is the first book), his first series longer than a trilogy, will continue to be awesome.
Fighting evil so you don't have to!
Zball

I just got done reading a steampunk anthology called "Steampunk II: Steampunk Reloaded." Most of the stories were okay and nothing stood out as either good or bad. The biggest selling point for me was the inclusion of a proto- steampunk short story written by a Scandanavian fellow in 1856 or so and actually translated for the volume. That was probably my favorite part. Other than that, the inclusion of some non-fiction interviews and essays made the anthology for me.

That and Mecha- Ostrich.
Whatever works.
Vent Noir

I've gotten distracted from The Boredom of Haruhi Suzumiya by Super Robot Wars L (still) and the Fairy Tail manga (plus my weekly comics). I've also gotten Badass (by the guy who does http://www.badassoftheweek.com) and Doctor Who and Philosophy from the library.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
DAG101

Working my way through the Sandman series, plus my brother has a bunch of batman comics he wants me to read...

I also need to read Neuromancer and a book called Generation X for my english class...
FordR

Reading "A Stitch in Time" by Andrew J. Robinson.

It's been a fantastic experience and I'd highly recommend it to anyone who watched DS9 and remotely liked Garak.
AKA- TheTrueYup
Zball

New book! After finishing up a book about the Battle of Britain, I settled on something much longer and quite dear to my heart. Bill Simmons' The Book of Basketball. It's giant. It's great. This is pretty much the best book I've read in years.
Whatever works.
Dark Duel

Browsed through Batman: Battle for the Cowl yesterday at B&N. Interesting, but not enough that I'd want to buy it.
Other than that, I'm currently reading through Clive Cussler's Valhalla Rising for the third time, after having just slogged through Dan Brown's Langdon trilogy and re-read Sahara, also by Cussler.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
liubei013

Just finished a number of Asimov's Foundation novels: Foundation, Foundation and Empire, Second Foundation, and Prelude to Foundation in that order. Fairly interesting series as it presents the usual non-stop intrigue and action while world-building along the way. Probably will get the remaining novels sometime soon.
Vent Noir

Reading "Anime and Philosophy" at the moment. Actually, I'm in the middle of the chapter "Just War is no Gouf", which examines Gundam and the idea of a "just war". I'll probably be posting about it once I've finished.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

teslashark

Vent Noir wrote:Reading "Anime and Philosophy" at the moment. Actually, I'm in the middle of the chapter "Just War is no Gouf", which examines Gundam and the idea of a "just war". I'll probably be posting about it once I've finished.
Sounds Interesting, sucks that I can't get it in China. Do you know if there's a PDF?

I'm reading H.H. Munro's Chronicles Of Clovis. It's a social satire collection. I love British short stories, both his and Roald Dahl's.
I recommend Dahl's short stories for those who want to impress people fast. Also his long ones, My Uncle Oswald is a great satire and Sometimes Never A Fable For Superman is philosophically great with a great deal of near-graphically violent scenes.
I made pages for them on tvtropes.org, check them out. A txt of Oswald could be found on e-readings.ua and you have to ask your city or state library for Sometimes Never.
Junior mod at forum.spacebattles.com