What books are you reading?

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
mcred23

Re: What books are you reading?

I finished Beloved and I'm not really sure how I feel about it. I found it better than Giovanni's Room, but that is certainly not saying much for me. The characters and story were interesting to some extent, but annoying/confusing at enough points that I was never fully entertained by it. I didn't have much of a problem following the jumps back and forth in time that occured in the book, but much of the events never really grabbed me and got me hooked, probably cause I'm not a huge fan of supernatural-like stuff, and the book has a good deal of that kind of things going on. I guess it comes down to the fact that this isn't the kind of book I normally read, and that I was forced to read it, which I think always hurts how I feel about a book, being the main reasons why I didn't enjoy it a great deal. In the end, I feel it was alright, but I don't agree with most of the praise that it gets (Such as being considered perhaps the best novel of the last 25 years :roll:).

Anyway, back to The Teeth of the Tiger. :mrgreen:
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
Vent Noir

Finished The Heir of Night (the same day my computer crashed) and really enjoyed it. Very impressed by the world building here, and looking forward to the next book in the series.

After that, I read Butterfly Swords by Jeannie Lin. The author had contacted me on rpg.net and offered to send me a free copy if I reviewed it. As it turned out, it's historical romantic fiction, which is neither my favourite genre nor one I have much expertise in. But at least the leads are likeable enough and I didn't feel as though I was forcing myself through it, so it can't be all that bad.

Now I'm onto Usurper of the Sun by Housuke Nojiri, the author of Rocket Girls.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
mcred23

So I finished The Teeth of the Tiger and found it to be good. It's not Clancy's best book by far, but it was entertaining and a good read. My only real issue was it seemed rather short. It felt like it was trying to be like his earlier, shorter books, with a somewhat smaller scope, but it ended up feeling a bit rushed throughout the book.

With the Ryan-verse taken care of, I'm taking a break from Clancy's other stuff and reading Stephen Ambrose's D-Day. It's a subject I already know more than enough about, but it's always interesting to read something new on it. 8)

Dark Duel

Re-reading Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings for the nth time.
Afterwards, I recently ordered Salvatore's Icewind Dale trilogy. Plan to read that next.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Vent Noir

Finished Usurper of the Sun. I've generally found hard SF to be very dry, but I enjoyed this for the most part (although there were sections where the technobabble caused my eyes to glaze over). If I can find more books like this, I might actually start to enjoy hard SF.

Up next, The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
G-Slayer
Location: In the fridge, behind the mayonnaise, next to the ketchup, and to the left of the coleslaw.

I finished Spider-Man: Red-Headed Strangers (Issues 602-605) this week, as well as Vol. 3 of Runaways (#13-18). The series of revelations in the latter have really impressed me (compared to the last 2 books) and the book itself would've been a perfect end to the series. Next up: I Kill Giants.
"That's it! I'll never Gundam the pilot again, Bright!"--Amuro Ray

My YouTube Channel!

My Photobucket Album!

My Gunpla Blog!
liubei013

Let's see...just finished the follow-up to Hitchhiker's Guide, "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe" and "Life, the Universe and Everything." Great...now onto the next two books. xD
Vent Noir

Finished The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya. The story revolves around the filming of The Adventures of Mikuru Asahina, and was apparently animated as the second half of the second TV series (I didn't make it through Endless Eight). It's fun to experience Haruhi's insanity again... I'm reminded of a quote from Doctor Who:

"The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: They don't alter their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views."

Next up, Valor's Trial by Tanya Huff.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

Dark Duel

About halfway through The Halfling's Gem, third and final part of the Icewind Dale trilogy.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
G-Slayer
Location: In the fridge, behind the mayonnaise, next to the ketchup, and to the left of the coleslaw.

I've finished I Kill Giants and I thought it made for a great slice-of-life story, even with the fantasy elements mixed in. I've read also the first chapter/issue of Daredevil Noir and I'll continue later tonight.

My YouTube Channel!

My Photobucket Album!

My Gunpla Blog!
fly_wrench

Re-reading Frank Herbert's Dune series, this time I'll definitely finish the last few books, Chapterhouse etc.

Would anyone who has read the Brian Herbert stuff, recommend it? Because as far as I recall the original series was never finished, there being blueprints for a Dune 7.
Antares

@fly-wrench: My personal opinion is that it starts to turn rather piss-poor from Children of Dune onward; Messiah still holds its ground.

@Dark Duel:
About halfway through The Halfling's Gem, third and final part of the Icewind Dale trilogy.
Oh the days when I read Salvatore and actually thought he was any good. :mrgreen: If you go down that road you still have a few fairly good books in store, but poor Mr. Entreri gets shafted quite a few times. My sig actually is an exchange between him and Jarlaxle. ;)

I'm reading Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. Having read the original for Lit classes in the long-long-ago, it's an interesting read. :)
-We will not be caught by surprise!
*Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words.
-Then I am glad once again that you are on my side.
*They've often said that too.
mcred23

I finished D-Day, which was really interesting. Found out some new things, and it went into some more detail on stuff than other books have, so I was very happy with it.

With that done, I somewhat randomly decided to read Black Hawk Down, partly because it's been a while since I read it (Two or three years) and I always enjoyed doing so, and because I can knock it out in a week or so before moving on to something new that I'll either get from someone for Christmas or get myself. :)

FordR

Currently I'm re-reading the Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R. Martin, in preparation for the upcoming HBO series (have to keep that memory fresh). I'm at the third book, A Storm of Swords, so far.

It's just as enjoyable an experience as it was the first time I read it, if not more so.
AKA- TheTrueYup
G-Slayer

I finished Daredevil Noir and I've just started reading Vol. 2 of Faust, an anthology of stories and essays from Japanese light novelists with illustrations from manga artists (including Death Note's Takeshi Obata and Akira's Katsuhiro Otomo). Apart from the written stories, the book also has a few manga shorts on the other side.

My YouTube Channel!

My Photobucket Album!

My Gunpla Blog!
zerogradius

I just finished 1st to die by James Patterson. Now I've started Unholy Ghosts by Stacia Kane. If its good, I'll read the other books in the series.
DAG101

Currently reading Sandman volume four: Season of Mists. I missed volume three, will have to pick it up later...but one and two were good, and four's off to a great start
Inferno

So for school, I read Death of a Salesman, Equus, and American Psycho. It's a wonder I haven't started hallucinating yet.
Quiddity

Having just finished Dune Messiah, reading the Lord of the Rings for the seemingly millionth time before I wade into Children of Dune.
MAHQ Staff - Dunbine, L-Gaim, Escaflowne, Ideon, Gasaraki, The Big O, Overman King Gainer, Zambot 3 and FLCL
In my search for justice, I created war. In my search for war, I created death. In my search for death... I have lost my soul.
mcred23

Finished Black Hawk Down, interesting as always. Noticed a few little things I'd forgotten over the years.

So today I went out and bought a bunch of new books with some Festivus money. The first one I started reading is In The Company of Heros by Michael Durant. I happened upon it at Borders and it looked interesting, and I'm only about 60-ish pages into it and it has already proven to be so. Its gone into a lot more detail about the stuff that happened to him, so I'm looking foward to reading more of it.