Latest movie thread.

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
Furious Rodimus

Re: Latest movie thread.

I checked out The Sky Crawlers recently.

Visually it was very stunning but it was a slow story (albeit I watched on the eve of my wedding) so I'll need to watch it again when I'm a little bit more with the program. The story was very compelling as was the concept itself. There was not as much action as the trailers would have suggested but what was there was awesome and the last kills in the movie are brutal.

I also really enjoyed the designs of the planes that were used. The character designs were somewhat bland but that seemed to be the point at some level, and the color palette was a little drab (but not quite in the same league as something like Claymore).

The music I thought was stunning, and done by Gundam 00 composer Kenji Kawai, and it fits/sets the mood perfectly.

Again, I'll have to rewatch it when I'm more awake to get the finer points of the movie.
It's the stronger who create the weaker!

I am the (Color) (Object/Natural Element), Ace of (Organization) Fear Me!
Dark Duel

Recently saw The International, which was even worse than I expected, and rewatched the old Punisher movie with Thomas Jane and John Travolta. Great movie.
"God's going to sit this one out." Epic line. Also loved the scene when Castle uses a ballistic knife on that dude with the guitar.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Kavik Ryx

As of last night, I've also finally seen The Usual Suspects. For a low budget movie, it certainly had better work than most big budget productions. And of course the end. I had an inkling of what was going to happen. But if I said that I could see that twist coming, I'd be a dirty liar. All I can say now is fear Kaiser Soze.
Lans

I watched the watchmen a week ago. I have to say that am heavily impressed. At first I thought this going to be another lame hollywood-ized American comic, surprisingly I was wrong. This is a film well made.
Dark Duel

Finally sat down and watched Iron Man from beginning to credits to end.(Missed that final scene in theaters)
God, I'd forgotten how awesome that movie was.
Right now I'm seriously psyched for Iron Man 2 next year,given that Favreau has confirmed once and for all that WAR MACHINE'S GONNA BE IN IT, as we all knew he would.

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
TheLegendkiller

I saw the newest Harry Potter movie and haven't seen any of the others and only read the first 4 books like 7 years ago so I was slightly lost but it was actually pretty epic. But people who read the book said alot of left out. I believe them them but since I never read it I didn't care haha. And that Emma Watson is gettin pretty hott not gonna lie. Who doesn't like sexy british girls?
Evil Unleashed<The Legendkiller
Lans

Watched the Legend of Chun-Li few days ago. Lots of people said it felt like watching Thailand production movie, and I agree with them. The film is pretty decent and quite interesting. However, several scene are just rape logic without any explanation. They jump from bare fist fight to super natural power and no characters give a damn about it. Even if you study martial arts, you ought to be surprised when your teacher doing kamehameha. Still it’s worth watching, the film felt fresh and different from the usual fighting action movie.
ZeroBusterXX

Not really a new movie, but a movie I love all the same: The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across The 8th Dimension. I had forgotten all about this movie, but then IFC aired it and I had a nostalgia fest. It's so odd. It's set up like it's the latest entry in a series of films (of a Doc Savage type guy with a cool posse of Rock Musicians/Gunslingers/Scientists) and he fights aliens from the 8th Dimension. This movie also has some great one-liners ("Evil, pure and simple from the 8th Dimension. Get em!").

I recommend this to any fan of scifi and/or comedy.
Dark Duel

Over the lsat couple nights, I saw Se7en, with Morgan Freeman, Brad Pitt, Gwyneth Paltrow, and Kevin Spacey. Which I thought was a great movie, though the end was slightly predictable.
Then I saw Horsemen, with Dennis Quaid...which is a lot like Se7en, only with a lot less talent and a lot more predictable.
Then I saw Four Brothers for the fifth or sixth time. Not Marky-Mark's best movie, though his personal performance is top-notch and it's still a great movie.

ZeroBusterXX

Just got back from GI Joe....

I went in there knowing it was gonna be a bad movie. And boy was I right. But it was bad in a good way. It reminded me of a B-Movie, like Plan 9 From Outer Space or Evil Dead. It was hokey, over-acted and had terrible CGI (Seriously, G-Savior looked better.)

I also laughed at all the wrong moments, mainly due to the Fensler Films. They kept popping into my head. I saw a car wreck, so I wondered where the "Game Over Yeah!" guy was. I saw subs, so I wondered where Buzz Lightyear was.

One positive: Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow were the highlight of the film. A guy that doesn't talk, a ninja that sticks out and Dr. Who were the best actors in the whole film. Worst: Marlon Wayans. Every emotional response he gave was the opposite of what fit the scene. And Cobra Commander is one of the worst casting decisions ever. Trust me.

All in all, this is a bad movie. But, nowhere near as bad as the new Transformers movie, or Dragonball. It's a hokey, unintelligent B-Movie that I would have loved if I was like 10.
Shea

ZeroBusterXX wrote:It was hokey, over-acted and had terrible CGI (Seriously, G-Savior looked better.)
I don't know if I should be happy or miffed.

=============
I saw Char's Counterattack.
I wish I could say I love this movie, I really do. And no, Quess is not the reason I don't, even though I hate her. This movie is like 2001 : A Space Odyssey, you get the point and the overall story and atmosphere is marvelous, but it's boring as all hell. I yawned during CCA. I'm not supposed to yawn during a movie!
One of the proud, the willing, and the seemingly growing number of... G-Saviour fanboys.
Kenji

Shea wrote:it's boring as all hell.
I honestly have no idea how to respond to that.

All I can think is that you'd fall into a coma if you ever saw what I just watched: Patriotism, written by, directed by, and starring Yukio Mishima.

I had actually bought it almost half a year ago, but never got around to watching it until now. Honestly, I couldn't say why. Now that I have seen it... well, I won't say that it was a life-altering experience (it changes nothing about me, personally), but it was definitely the right time to see it.

The clash of idealism and realism was perfectly handled, from the stark white minimalism of the Takeyama house, all centering around the characters "Wholehearted Sincerity," to the unflinching realism and horror of the actual act of seppuku... yet the two elements managed not to destroy each other. Somehow, the ideal that the act represented managed to stay intact insofar as the lieutenant and his wife were concerned.

Certainly, that sheds some light on Mishima's own actions, that he knew exactly what he was doing, in 1970.

I have the short story on hand and plan on reading it tonight or tomorrow night. This coexistence-yet-incongruence between ideals and reality is something I've been wanting to explore for a very long time, and I think this work will help me open the door to that.
"This is the truth! This is my belief. At least for now."
Shea

I recently saw the G.I. Joe movie. One word : Meh. It's just another summer action movie to me, and it blends in with the crowd.

I honestly don't feel strongly about G.I. Joe in any respect whatsoever. I never watched the show, or had any of the toys. When I was a kid, my heroes were Mega Man, Link, Samus, Simon Belmont, and Bill Rizer. The movie was entertaining and that's as deeply as I feel about it. I guess in a sense, The biggest reason why I can watch Transformers : ROTF and G.I. Joe : ROC and give them somewhat favorable reviews is because I have no attachment to the franchises whatsoever, and thus can remain neutral.
One of the proud, the willing, and the seemingly growing number of... G-Saviour fanboys.
Yuusha Tokkyu Might Gaine

Latest movies on DVD: Shinjuku Incident, Ponyo. Haven't seen either yet, but I might watch Ponyo first seeing as it's the shortest.
Tell me bats, what are you really scared of? Failure to save this cesspool of a city? Not finding the Commissioner in time? Me, in a thong?-Joker Arkham Asylum

My father was a wheel! THE FIRST WHEEL! And you know what he transformed into?! NOTHING! But he did it with honor!-Jefire, Transformers 2
Volnixshin

Saw G.I. Joe on its premiere night, I was dressed as Storm Shadow, and my gf as Snake Eyes, we started sparring, then as we were walking into the theatre, the manager ran up to us, took our photos and gave us four free pases to any movie at any amc for the next two years. Which I say, is pretty awesome.

We saw Disctrict 9, which I thought was great, Wikus really should of manned up way earlier in my opinion, but he did good just as well. After that I watched Alive in Joburg, what D9 was based off of, and I have to say it was really good. You can look it up on youtube. The guy who plays Wikus is in it, but in a different role.
You ever wonder where the Legend began? Watch as the most useless, becomes the most feared in the galaxy

Dark Duel: "I think the lesson to be learned is that so long as you have blue-colored hair, you will kick ass."
Red Comet90

I saw gamer on Saturday. It was like watching The Running Man all over again. I wouldn't even recommend the movie to anyone. The action was good, but the story reminded me of something from the 80's. I felt the whole point of the movie was badly executed. If you want to see a video game made into a real game show with people dieing in a movie, go rent Death Race.
The proof of our might will forever be etched in your minds.

-- Haman Karn
Kishiria

I tend to be behind on movies, but in the past three weeks I've seen "Orphan", "The Hurt Locker" and "Funny People."

I enjoyed "Orphan" a lot. It was creepy with a twist I didn't see coming at the end.

"Funny People" couldn't decide if it was a comedy or a drama about comedians. It was also two and a half hours long and didn't need to be.

I wanted to like "The Hurt Locker" but it suffered from one of the most unsympathetic protagonists ever. Plus, if they were going to make a "realistic film" could they at least have talked to enough veterans to know that in 2004 the ACU uniform hadn't been released yet, that the Humvees still had cloth doors with sandbags in the floor as the only shielding and that Camp Victory North hadn't been renamed Camp Liberty yet? These were all easy things to get right, but apparently they didn't care.
Techno-Viking does not dance to the music; the music dances to Techno-Viking.
thanatos

Finally sat down and watched the Eureka 7 movie. Verdict: Disappointed

Here's my review:
I was far from satisfied by the series and I hoped that the movie would make up for 50 episodes of dull mediocrity.
Movie Renton is much less of the spineless, whiney brat that he was in the show. Most shows would use a character like him as canon fodder, but for some reason he ended up as the main character in both the show and movie. Eureka’s character in the movie has been enhanced with something the creators of the show had completely neglected: dialogue. Most of the dialogue between these two in the show consisted of saying each others names over and over with pained looks on each others faces. Thankfully the movie had them forming whole sentences during their conversations.
Much like the show, the movie throws a pile of jargon at you without any thought as to what it actually means. Some may feel that this makes the Eureka 7 movie and TV show deep and philosophical, but it doesn’t. It just makes it infuriating.
The mecha battles remained largely unchanged from the TV series. They were the reason I decided to watch the show and I expected a movie-sized budget would get some nice action sequences. Unfortunately, the movie follows the show in its ADD-satisfying battles that fly by without a moment to let you figure out what’s going on.
Much like the TV show, some of most compelling characters, Holland, Talho, Dominic and Anemone, are neglected in favor of the two uninteresting main leads. One of those characters was twisted into a psychotic maniac while another was dead by the two minute mark. But don’t worry; being dead won’t stop them from showing up in the final scenes of the movie. Why? Damned if I know.

Unless you have watched and absolutely LOVED the entire Eureka 7 series, I don’t think you’ll regret steering clear of this one.
Aspiring CGO "Chief Gundam Officer"
hellrasinbrasin

I just finished, watching Hive Divisions Metal Gear Solid Philanthropy film; and I must admit I'm impressed.

http://www.mgs-philanthropy.net/eng/

If you're interested in the film follow the link; the studio posted the film online several hours ago.
Dark Duel

Finally got around, after all this time, to watching X-Men Origins: Wolverine, and it was...not nearly as bad as I expected. It wasn't all that good, but it was watchable.
Okay, Deadpool being a remote-controlled zombie with his mouth sewn shut and abilities he isn't supposed to have was annoying, and Taylor what's-his-name who plays Gambit to me comes across as trying so hard to be Johnny Depp it's amusing, but other than that it was okay.
And Wade in the beginning of the movie was badass.
Gambit was pretty cool, if minor. Liev Schreiber was bloody brilliant as Sabertooth, and Hugh Jackman was, well, the same as always. Awesome.

So yeah, not as abysmally crappy as The Last Stand was, but the first two X-Men movies were still way better.