Latest movie thread.

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
Daemoro

What I've seen during the Xmas holidays (on Blu-ray):

Kingdom of Heaven - absolute garbage
The Devil Wears Prada - complete bore-fest

(both of them were freebies (including I, Robot, which I never seen and not my type of movie) with the Blu-ray package)

Then again, I'm not much of a movie person. (I'm really, really, really, really picky about what I like)
DAG101

Harold and Kumar Escape from Guantonimo Bay: As good as--possibly better than--the original.
The Big Zabowski

Nowhere Man wrote:Apocalypse Now: Heart of Darkness, Vietnam style.
Dunno if that was a snide remark or a supportive critique, but uh.. that was Coppola's whole point of making it. Was alright, but had a lot of WTF moments. Book was somewhat better, but each are to be taken in their own light IMO.

Damn, I just sounded like a film critic.. *Washes mouth out with booze* WHERE DEM T*****S AT!?
TRANS AM!
Yes, it's a V8.
Yes, it was a Trans Am before there was "TRANS AM."
Yes, it's mine. 8)
X10A-Freedom

Movies Ive seen latley

Underworld RotL- It was pretty good I wasnt dissapointed and it was truly about the begging not the acual war with the lycans wich I kind of liked so they left it open for another movie if they want. The vampires in it though seemed really weak to me. They seemed to get beat pretty easily. And you found out that werewolves and lycans are two different things.

Friday the 13th- It was ok I got my tickets worth out of it. it had a good premise. The body count didnt seem that high to me though I was expecting alot more heads to roll than acually did. Overall it was your normal slasher film.

Push- I really liked Push all my freinds said it sucked but I enjoyed it. It could of used a bit more action but the action they did have was good.I like how there were all different kinds and not just one or two kinds of psychics. And the mian character was interesting one thing that I really liked about him that my friends really hated was that he wasnt overpowerd in fact if anything he was underpowered wich was refreashing cause theres so many main characters that are all powerful. And Dakota Fanning really impressed me in this movie she did a great job.

Hulk vs- Thor not knowing much about Thor I didnt know what to hpoe for but it was really good I liked how it was done so that someone new to Thor could understand it but Thor fans would still like it.
Wolveine- Honestly I liked it but I didnt think it was anything great the story seemed way to simple and didnt go anywere. It seemed like there was 2 minutes of story then it was a giant smackdown between Wolveine, Deadpool, Hulk, Sabertooth, and Lady Deathstrike it was good but after having the comparison of Thor it wasnt that great. And im still undecided about Steve Blum as Wolverine in all the new Marvel animated movies
Mechanized Earth Guard Attack System
Xtra Large Robot
Nowhere Man

The Big Zabowski wrote:
Nowhere Man wrote:Apocalypse Now: Heart of Darkness, Vietnam style.
Dunno if that was a snide remark or a supportive critique, but uh.. that was Coppola's whole point of making it. Was alright, but had a lot of WTF moments. Book was somewhat better, but each are to be taken in their own light IMO.

Damn, I just sounded like a film critic.. *Washes mouth out with booze* WHERE DEM T*****S AT!?
That was neither: it was just a description.

And I personally loved the movie. A little long, kind of strange at times, but it's really a masterpiece in just about everything. The acting is solid-to-good across the board, Coppola's use of wild sound makes me want to clap my hands with glee, and the cinematography brings tears to my eyes.
Has no real point of view.
Knows not where he's going to.
Isn't he a bit like you and me?
DAG101

Stephen King's Dreamcatcher: Was Morgan Freeman an amazing villain? Yes. Did they completely change the ending? YES. Was it unbelievably cool and aweome? HELL YEAH!!!
Kavik Ryx

Broadcast News: An incredibly well written comedy. Oddly enough its good writing is somewhat of a downfall because the whole thing is more or less just an array of snappy dialog. Among the greatest lines, "You'll never make more than $19,000 a year."

Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure: An absolutely bodacius movie. Watch it!
teslashark

Junior: Is that govenor arnie?
Junior mod at forum.spacebattles.com
Hyakushiki

Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li: Not as bad as I thought it would be. Good story, Bison was awesome, plenty of action but not many actual fight scenes.
Don't send a coordinator to do a newtype's job!
Shea

Ace Ventura Jr. : A spit in the face of everything that made Ace Ventura 1 and 2 funny.
One of the proud, the willing, and the seemingly growing number of... G-Saviour fanboys.
Genocide

I just finished watching the first 15 minutes or so of the new Street Fighter movie. As painful as it was, I tried to bare with it but I completely exploded in rage when I heard Chris Klein talk (and the craptacular music playing from his car). Now we know what made Charlie Nash come back from the grave as Shadow. At least, the hardcore SF fans that know who Shadow is.

Honestly, I think Klein needs to be skinned alive, disenboweled, and immolated in a giant furnace. Don't make it too hot though; just enough so he can suffer for a while before dying. Of course, there's a host of other things wrong with the movie. Absolutely NONE of the actors resembled the characters. I can't comment too much about the plot or the action since I haven't seen that much, but from what I did see there was nothing to do with the game. Honestly, if it weren't for the title and character names you would guess this was just a really bad comedy - the type that laughs at its own jokes because no one else will. It's really a shame so many people automatically think "Oh, a movie about a video game. Well, video games have terrible stories so they better make something interesting!" when in fact it's that type of mentality giving producers the level of free will on established plotlines that they shouldn't have.

Anyway, that would be the end of my rant. A bit harsh perhaps, but well deserved. I'd personally recommend anyone who values their dignity and intelligence should steer clear of this film, regardless of whether or not you're familiar with the Street Fighter mythos.
Shea

Beavis & Butt-head Do America : I've seen this movie like 500 times, It's ALWAYS funny!

Quarantine : RABIES!? REALLY!? And It always pisses me off when there are no survivors.

300 : This movie would have SUCKED if it weren't for the visuals, it's pretty much 2 hours of eye candy.

Waiting : I frikkin' love this movie! THE GOAT!!!

Spider-man 1 on an HD TV : Ouch. It looks like a Sci-Fi channel presentation nowadays. Time is cruel.

X-Men The Last Stand : *Spoilers* They killed off Cyclops 15 minutes in! Arc Light, Quill, Psylocke... dead. Just like that. And after all that build up and promotion, Angel got like 5 minutes of screen time, like he was some God damn side salad. *End Spoilers* RAGE!! RAGE!! It was okay I guess, but this movie mostly just pisses me off.
One of the proud, the willing, and the seemingly growing number of... G-Saviour fanboys.
X10A-Freedom

I just saw Hellboy 2 The Golden Army and it was awesome totally worth the wait. The story was great the new characters were cool and the villian was awesome. I liked that they gave Abe more screen time.And the fantasy of it was perfect you got to see more of the other world. And the tooth faries scare the crap out of me. I really hope they make another one.
Mechanized Earth Guard Attack System
Xtra Large Robot
Dark Duel

Just saw Tuskegee Airmen for the 2nd time. AWESOME flick.
DAG101 wrote:Harold and Kumar Escape from Guantonimo Bay: As good as--possibly better than--the original.
Isn't that the one where a Shining Gundam gunpla/figure turns up in the background of one scene?
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Antares

I've seen two movies lately, of rather opposite genres (in addition to Watchmen, but I discussed that in its own thread); Taken and Detroit Metal City (live action).

OK, first Taken. The movie's premise was good enough, and Neeson does a solid job. Gun effects sound beefy, and there is a lot of ass-kicking (the movie doesn't go too badly overboard, although it teeters on the brink at times when henchmen empty sub-machine guns at Neeson who isn't even scratched). In that regard the worst aspect of the movie was the tilt it had; all European cops were either corrupt or incompetent, and the villains were without any sort of character to speak of. This makes the movie simplistic, which admittedly does fit a lone wolf revenge story. Depending from our point of view, it can either be bad or good. In my case it dropped the movie down from good to mediocre.

Then DMC. I've had my share a Japanese live action comedies, and I like to think I have some resistance to the sometimes typical crazy-humor they include. However, since DMC live action is compared to the anime/manga versions, the over-acting isn't enough to carry the jokes across. It was a fairly good adaptation, but as a movie it was a little weird, and not something I would show to any friends not familiar with either DMC or this type of movie humor. I felt Simmons got a little shortchanged, but the biggest reason why I opt for the anime over the live-action is that the live-action had cut the Tokyo Tower and Krauzer-tan (only briefly spotted). Unforgivable. :P
-We will not be caught by surprise!
*Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words.
-Then I am glad once again that you are on my side.
*They've often said that too.
Yuusha Tokkyu Might Gaine

Last movie I saw would be Watchmen
Tell me bats, what are you really scared of? Failure to save this cesspool of a city? Not finding the Commissioner in time? Me, in a thong?-Joker Arkham Asylum

My father was a wheel! THE FIRST WHEEL! And you know what he transformed into?! NOTHING! But he did it with honor!-Jefire, Transformers 2
Antares

Re: Latest movie thread.

Limited thread-necromancy time!
I don't know how well Let The Right One In is known as it is last year's stock, but I wanted to bring it up because I watched it last night and really enjoyed it. Well done Sweden and minimalist story telling in this one (I can't imagine they had a huge budget, but then again they did not need one either). I actually felt touched by this movie, it was very good in setting the tone and bringing out a few points of (pre-)adolescent life (social pressure, bullying, sexuality, etc.). I am not sure how well this is comparable to the book by the same name, but it is good enough in its own right to watch if you have a taste for movies that are a little different. If I understood correctly from IMDB, there will be a US-remake of this.
Dark Duel

Last movies seen:

1. RELIGULOUS - Bill Maher's "documentary" on religion. HILARIOUS.

2. VALKYRIE - Amazing movie, even though going in you already know how it ends. Cruise is amazing, Wilkinson is brilliant, and Branagh is just superb. Plus the guy who plays Hitler is great = gave me chills every time I saw him

3. THE DARK KNIGHT - Seen 4 times and still lovin' it. One of my favorite few scenes:
"How about a magic trick?"
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Antares

Dark Duel said:
1. RELIGULOUS - Bill Maher's "documentary" on religion. HILARIOUS.
I actually saw that too just last week but I felt that my commentary on it might have been a bit on the political side, which is not "kosher" here. It was funny at times, though.

No comments from anyone yet on the new Terminator movie? I know the premiere (here) was yesterday, so not many people (here) have seen it, but I am interested to hear whether or not it might be worth a look.
mcred23

Antares wrote:No comments from anyone yet on the new Terminator movie? I know the premiere (here) was yesterday, so not many people (here) have seen it, but I am interested to hear whether or not it might be worth a look.
I saw it the weekend it came out here (On the 23rd :mrgreen:) and loved it. It was much better than the third movie, with a lot of nods (Little and small) to the first two movies, be it lines of dialoge or just the angle they show something. To catch them all, you really need to watch the other movies again before you see the new movie, or have a good memory. 8)

Some other stuff you may/may not want to know...
Spoiler
Even though it was CGI, the Model 101 (Arnold) caught me (And everybody else in the theater) completely by surprise (But in a good way :mrgreen:).
Spoiler
Sequel is inevitable! Woot! 8)
So yeah, it is well worth a look.
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')