Latest movie thread.

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
Mu La Flaga

Re: Latest movie thread.

So I rewatched Freddy vs Jason, still a pretty good movie.
I love Freddy and Jason's final fight, Freddy always loved mocking Jason, but when it came to the close range fight they bea the living hell out of each other.
Dark Duel

Just saw RED.
Hilarious movie, and a heckuva cast: Bruce Willis, Karl Urban, John Malkovich, Morgan Freeman, and best of all Helen Mirren.
Also, I have NEVER seen Brian Cox in such a likable role.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Mu La Flaga

Saw the Green Hornet.
My thoughts are this.

I enjoyed most of this movie.
I enjoyed the fact the hero didn't act super responsible and everything and tried to play things the opposite way, like trying to come of as villians and all.

I also enjoyed the car battles, the fights, the 2 main heroes and the villiian.
Overall I enjoyed it quite a bit even if it got silly or crazy at times.

Oh and I found it interesting that the heroes, weren't super heroes, it was the car which made a huge difference.
Renegade334

Will probably be watching those two movies when they hit the theaters:

Super 8
TF3

I'm still holding my judgment on Battle:LA, but odds are that I'll watch it, too.
-- Light travels faster than sound: this is the scientific explanation as to why people appear brilliant...that is, until you hear what they have to say.
Mu La Flaga

Watched the Running Man after getting that on DVD recently.
Fun movie to watch really and got some good lines.

"Once he was Sub-zero, now he is ZERO!"

"What happened to Buzzsaw"
"He had to split"
Mu La Flaga

So been a while since posted in here, but I saw Thor last night.
And it's pretty good, wold recommend this one, overall story is good, the characters are good, Loki is interesting as a character and the effects and CG work they did on Asgard and their powers also was quite well done.

I would recommend it.
Dark Duel

Saw The Tourist the other night. Not a bad movie, if slightly predictable. One of Jolie's better films in the last few years. Depp, of course, is his usual brilliant self, and Paul Bettany's great too.

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Antares

@Mu La Flaga:
I saw the trailer for Thor and Captain America when going to see SuckerPunch, and I thought they were really scraping the bottom of the superhero-barrel in the sense that neither trailer managed to inspire even a fleeting bit of interest. Oh well, maybe I ought to check out Thor, then, just in case.

But yeah saw SuckerPunch. If you go to the movies just to have a laugh, this movie is pretty good. Action is dazzling, even up to the point that towards the end the CGI-bombardments starts to wear a bit thin. The first fight between Babydoll and the samurai-like constructs takes the cake because it gets the action going.
The movie also plays with a few Brechtian methods of narrative (or meta-narration, as in Inception, when moving of different levels of the story), but it is too underlined to allow the viewer a sense of discovery. The twist in the end, such as it was, was expected as a result. Or, alternatively, you didn't care about it because you came to see it for the action. For that focus group, even shorter skirts and adding a bit of blood would've probably been a welcomed addition.
Oh and the soliloquy to the end of the movie deflated the whole affair; it was redundant and, again, too expected as to border on silly.
-We will not be caught by surprise!
*Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words.
-Then I am glad once again that you are on my side.
*They've often said that too.
Mu La Flaga

Suckerpunch I've heard isn't that great, how I know this?
Shinjukustation@ the movies have reviewed it and it lacks some bits to its plot or story overall.

Thor is probably a little better then what the movie trailer shows.
christianwalker

Mu La Flaga wrote:So been a while since posted in here, but I saw Thor last night.
And it's pretty good, wold recommend this one, overall story is good, the characters are good, Loki is interesting as a character and the effects and CG work they did on Asgard and their powers also was quite well done.

I would recommend it.
Thanks for sharing. I really want to see this movie. I don't know much about Thor. I haven't read many of his comics. Can you tell me how closely the movie followed the comics?
"You might as well called his hotel room Elm Street, cuz I was bringing those nightmares every night." -Soul Bro Ryu
Raiden

Saw Source Code, pretty interesting movie. Kinda similar to the matrix and inception in a sense. Acting was very good, though the ending may leave something to be desired.
Mu La Flaga

christianwalker wrote:
Mu La Flaga wrote:So been a while since posted in here, but I saw Thor last night.

I would recommend it.
Thanks for sharing. I really want to see this movie. I don't know much about Thor. I haven't read many of his comics. Can you tell me how closely the movie followed the comics?
Admittingly I haven't read Thor comics much, but I do know one small detail is different is the occupation of Thor's love interest.

Apart from that I think it's about the same since simillarly the characters kind of loosely follow their stuff established in the norse mythology.
prince_of_zeon

Generally not a big horror movie fan, but I saw "Insidious" last weekend and it was surprisingly good.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I saw "My Soul to Take" yesterday and it was so bad it seemed almost like a spoof of the entire genre. There were so many cliches and tropes that it just turned out to be silly.
Twat me: http://twitter.com/#!/Podsyboy

Subscribe/comment me: http://www.youtube.com/user/AlphaAeizeru

Did Fats Goodman really die at the end of "Fats' Counterattack?"
Renegade334

For my part, I'm kind of revisiting the classics and some haunted house movies - that is, those that do not necessarily involve a diarrhea of pulverized flesh and blood that would make Jeffrey Dahmer look like a shy schoolgirl. I just rewatched Poltergeist and the Haunting. The first one was cool, the second was quite heavy on SFX compared to the original movie
Spoiler
(heck, in that one, you didn't even SEE a single ghost - their presence/existence was all implied or suggested).
-- Light travels faster than sound: this is the scientific explanation as to why people appear brilliant...that is, until you hear what they have to say.
prince_of_zeon

Renegade334 wrote: that is, those that do not necessarily involve a diarrhea of pulverized flesh and blood that would make Jeffrey Dahmer look like a shy schoolgirl.
That made my day.

And I just finished Neo's favorite action-adventure, Bad Boys II. A true gem of cinema. It's like my Citizen Kane now.
Twat me: http://twitter.com/#!/Podsyboy

Subscribe/comment me: http://www.youtube.com/user/AlphaAeizeru

Did Fats Goodman really die at the end of "Fats' Counterattack?"
Mu La Flaga

So I just saw X-Men: First Class.
My thoughts on it are, it's pretty good and interesting for a prequel movie.
You have te whole plot of this.
Spoiler
Magneto/Erik we start with him in a flashback in Poland in Natzi occupation during 1940.
Magneto is seen by the guards to be able to bend metal and thus Sebastian Shaw gives him an ultimatum, move this metal coin in 3 seconds or your mother dies.

So after that we jump to 1960 and we have Xavier who befriends Mystique/Raven.

Eventually Magneto almost gets Sebastian Shaw, but ends up failing and joining with Xavier.
They decide in tie to form a team with CIA's help.

This then comes to them recruiting 4-5 mutants and find all sorts of ones.

Other things happen, they train using their powers and all that.

And then there is the finale of the show down happening pretty much around the Cuban Missiles Crisis, Sebastian Shaw dies at Magneto's hands and at the same time he learns a shocking fact from Sebastian Shaw before he dies and further re-inforces his ideals of how mutants should be the dominant humans on Earth as opposed to trying to work with them.
When they set out to attack them and treat them with fear, ect.

And thus we have Charles going his own way, becoming paralysed and Magneto going his own way and forming his own team.

So that is pretty much it for the movie, there are other details, but I can't remember it all right now.
So if your open minded and interested to see the new X-Men movie, I would recommend it.
Gundamfan

I recently rewatched the first Mr.Bean movie. I think it's called just Bean. Man, it is still funny even after I've seen it so many times. That redrawn face of the Mona Lisa he did, hilarious. :lol:
Dark Duel

I saw Thor a few weeks back and remember finding it tremendously enjoyable. Hemsworth and Hopkins as Thor and Odin are BRILLIANT, and Hawkeye's blink-and-you'll-miss-it cameo was a nice Easter Egg to throw in there.
prince_of_zeon wrote:And I just finished Neo's favorite action-adventure, Bad Boys II. A true gem of cinema.
I LOVE the opening sequence to that movie. Freaking hilarious...Actually, a lot of the scenes in that movie are both awesome and hilarious.
I rewatch it fairly frequently, actually.

More recently, I saw True Grit last night, and I liked it a lot. Jeff Bridges was brilliant as Rooster Cogburn, though in a few scenes he comes across as the Dude with an eyepatch, a drinking problem and a gun. Matt Damon was amusing but equally excellent, and Josh Brolin...well, it's Josh Brolin playing a dirtbag, which he does so very well.
LOVE the girl who plays Mattie Ross though. She's apparently a newcomer and I don't remember her name, but she's excellent.

Mu La Flaga

Dark Duel wrote:I saw Thor a few weeks back and remember finding it tremendously enjoyable. Hemsworth and Hopkins as Thor and Odin are BRILLIANT, and Hawkeye's blink-and-you'll-miss-it cameo was a nice Easter Egg to throw in there.
That it was I forgot about Hawkeye's cameo in the movie actually.

And the main trio stole movie for me, but especially when it came down to between Loki and Thor as things progressed on later in the movie, Odin himself was awesome though.
Last edited by Mu La Flaga on Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zball

For those of you who are my age and remember movies like Stand By Me, E.T., The Goonies and the rest of those coming of age movies from the 80s, Super 8 is simply the greatest homage anyone has ever done. The film is amazing, all special effects aside. Superbly acted and paced, you simply need to see this movie.
Whatever works.