Latest movie thread.

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
Antares

Re: Latest movie thread.

Drive. Minimalist, composed, and brutal. A good show, although the ending might be debatable. Very American, but that doesn't translate into a bad thing. :wink:

Finally, The Departed. A lot shooting, but surprisingly engaging throughout its length. The star-studded cast felt a little like an overkill. :)
-We will not be caught by surprise!
*Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words.
-Then I am glad once again that you are on my side.
*They've often said that too.
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

Just watched Jackie Chan's Little Big Soldier on Netflix.

Definitely a nice and relaxed pace with good action scenes. Interesting to see Jackie take a step back in order to let the other stars shine as the fiercer martial artists in this one. I especially loved the discussion of fighting wars and the cost and meaning of survival. All the parties involved in the conflict came out to feel human and relate-able. It had a strong ending that got me a little choked up.

A departure from Jackie's usual films (though all of his current films have been about flexing his talents), but definitely recommended.
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
kayone73

Finished The Expendables, yeah late to the party I know, it was alright. I think the entertainment factor would be x10 if I had a few beers prior to viewing.

Also saw the live action 2010 Yamato movie. Surprisingly decent visual FX and nice retelling of the original TV series story with its own twists. Visually it cribbed a LOT of its production design look from both the JJ Abrams Star Trek and the new BSG, still impressively looking film for a budget of only $25M. You know if it was a Hollywood production it would have been closer to $80-90M.
Raiden

kayone73 wrote:Finished The Expendables, yeah late to the party I know, it was alright. I think the entertainment factor would be x10 if I had a few beers prior to viewing.
Its never too late, especially since there is going to be second one next summer i believe LOL (they even got Jean Claude and Chuck Norris! XD).

Just watched the Lord of the Rings The fellowship of the ring extended for the first time, damn the new footage just makes it more awesome. And especially in 1080p :D
Antares

Watched Green Lantern. I hadn't read the comic. Pretty easy pop corn movie, quickly watched, quickly forgotten. A few plot-holes here and there but seems pointless to gripe about them in that particular movie.

Rewatched V for Vendetta, of course, when it was 5th of November.
Mu La Flaga

Raiden wrote:
kayone73 wrote:Finished The Expendables, yeah late to the party I know, it was alright. I think the entertainment factor would be x10 if I had a few beers prior to viewing.
Its never too late, especially since there is going to be second one next summer i believe LOL (they even got Jean Claude and Chuck Norris! XD).

Just watched the Lord of the Rings The fellowship of the ring extended for the first time, damn the new footage just makes it more awesome. And especially in 1080p :D
You know what an Expendables sequel is missing but would be hard to get if it's the same director?

Steven Segal is all we need to add to the cast.
muppetgundam

Saw "The Muppets" the other day. Thought it was a good way to breathe life into the franchise. Did an okay job of handling new cast with old cast and balancing subplots against the main story. Music was not the best in Muppet history, and there were a couple duds, but some good songs too. "Man or Muppet" was definately a standout, with great visuals to boot. Overall a good watch. Recommended. (Sorry, had to mention this one, see user name)
Am I a Muppet, or am I a Gundam?
If I'm a Gundam, that makes me a Muppet of a Gundam.
Mu La Flaga

Saw Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows.
It was an awesome movie I will say that, lots of action and interesting moments and commedy.
Also the actor who played Professor Moriarty was pretty good.
Antares

I also checked out the Game of Shadows, and have no complaints. I still don't think a Sherlock Holmes -movie should have many explosions in it, but I kind of pretend it's a an AU-thing. :D

kayone73 said:
Also saw the live action 2010 Yamato movie. Surprisingly decent visual FX and nice retelling of the original TV series story with its own twists. Visually it cribbed a LOT of its production design look from both the JJ Abrams Star Trek and the new BSG, still impressively looking film for a budget of only $25M. You know if it was a Hollywood production it would have been closer to $80-90M.
Agreed, it was surprisingly good visually, but the plot and some of the acting was quite atrocious. But I don't regret seeing it in the least; with a little more work the movie could've given any standard Hollywood space sci-fi a good run for their money.

Related to that, I also checked out the Pacific Battleship Yamato, although the original title was Otokotachi no Yamato, which meant something quite different. Should be interesting for all audiences; I personally found the "floating cities" of WWII most intriguing, and even more so considering how swiftly and brutally their era came to an end. Yamato was an awesome presence, but ultimately quite useless as a warship. Still, for anyone to go to war for their own country, regardless of "good" and "evil", it's a sobering occasion when the people more or less realize they're all going to die.
Special bonus:
Spoiler
The protagonist lives, when 2050 of the Yamato's 2300 crew perished beside him. Returns home only to find his loved one killed by the nuking of Hiroshima, where she had gone to work while he was at sea. Horrible, horrible odds.
Mu La Flaga

I didn't mind the explosions personally.
But at times it did get a little silly during that one battle.
Mu La Flaga

Saw the Adventures of TinTin in 3D.
Overall rather enjoyed the movie and can see how they took elements from the 3 books it was based on.
(Red Rackham's Treasure, Secret of the Unicorn and Crab with the Golden Claws)
I do like at the start of the movie, they do a homage or 2 to the books and their style.

TinTin is the only one whose appearance changed for his big screen CG motion capture, transition.
SlowTurtle

Saw Red Tails an I must say not a bad WW2 and nice history on the first black fighter squadron.
"Someone once told me that time is a predator that stalks us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment because they'll never come again."
--Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Star Trek: Generations
zerogradius

I saw Underworld: Awakening. It's the first movie in the Underworld series that I have seen, and it was as action packed as I wanted it to be. I'll have to watch the first 3 movies to see what happened.

I also saw Sherlock Holmes 2 and liked it very much. The beginning felt rushed to me but it all panned out as it continued. I'd highly recommend it.
Dark Duel

Saw Dolphin Tale a few days ago. Really only wanted to watch this movie for Morgan Freeman.
Was not disappointed. Not just by Freeman either, but the entire movie was simply great.
Actually went to the real website afterward and caught a glimpse of the real thing on the site's live stream.
TinTin is the only one whose appearance changed for his big screen CG motion capture, transition.
Yeah - not all that much, though. But the others were nearly identical to their comic book counterparts. It was a pretty great movie.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
SlowTurtle

Man oh man saw The Woman In Black and it sacred me silly. This is one movie I won't be renting when it rolls out.
"Someone once told me that time is a predator that stalks us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment because they'll never come again."
--Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Star Trek: Generations
ZeonsSilverStar

I just saw Chronicle today and I must say I found it to be quite enjoyable, though there were certain moments that alittle tearjerking to me. When I went in I knew what to expect for the most but I still shivered with anticipation through the whole thing.

Also I went to see Red Tails a few weeks ago. Now when I heard that George Lucas had made a movie centering around the Tuskegee Airmen I was pulled in automatically, but when I heard Lucas talk about all the work that went into on the Daily Show I knew I had to see it. I'd say it was a solid movie all in all.
''Do you always have to stare at me like I just drowned your goldfish?'' Xigbar
Dark Duel

SlowTurtle wrote:Man oh man saw The Woman In Black and it sacred me silly. This is one movie I won't be renting when it rolls out.
Okay, so it's scary. But is it a GOOD scary movie?
Kinda wanting to see it just to see Radcliffe in something else besides Harry Potter (though he was absolutely adorable as the titular character of David Copperfield back in '99 and I also loved him as Jack Kipling in My Boy Jack).

Anyhoo, last movie I saw was Ides of March, with George Clooney, Paul Giamatti, Philip Seymour Hoffman, and that other guy, Ryan something-or-other.
Brilliant movie - bit of a Downer Ending though.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
zerogradius

I saw War Horse today, and it was much better than I expected. Spielberg's best movie in my opinion.
kayone73

ZeonsSilverStar wrote:I just saw Chronicle today and I must say I found it to be quite enjoyable, though there were certain moments that alittle tearjerking to me. When I went in I knew what to expect for the most but I still shivered with anticipation through the whole thing.
The only thing I didn't like was even they stuck to the same racist Hollywood cliches (i.e. one of the characters meeting their fate midway thru the movie).
zerogradius

kayone73 wrote:
ZeonsSilverStar wrote:I just saw Chronicle today and I must say I found it to be quite enjoyable, though there were certain moments that alittle tearjerking to me. When I went in I knew what to expect for the most but I still shivered with anticipation through the whole thing.
The only thing I didn't like was even they stuck to the same racist Hollywood cliches (i.e. one of the characters meeting their fate midway thru the movie).
That particular character would have died first anyway, regardless of race. Given the relationship of the other two, it made sense for them to be the last ones left.