Latest movie thread.

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
Dark Duel

Re: Latest movie thread.

Just today took a trip down Nostalgia Lane with Toy Story 3.
Amazing. It's extremely rare for sequels to successfully recreate the experience that watching the original was, especially after so long.
But TS3 did. Did it ever. Plus the nostalgia that comes with the beginning, when as the movie starts you hear that old familiar tune, and Randy Newman starts crooning "You've got a Friend in me..."
The end was bittersweet, in a way, but I liked it. And then of course the movie had its share of funny moments, and some that were less funny.

Toy Story was one of the defining movies of my childhood, and so after all these years to be able to experience that again was...I don't know how to describe it, but I really loved it.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
ShadowCell

Dragonball Evolution, what with my being a hip and happenin' kinda guy

i actually made myself sort of like it, by immediately consulting the Internets about what kind of movie the outraged DBZ fans would have made if they'd been in charge. after reading about how Krillin, Gohan, Raditz, Nappa, Vegeta, Frieza, and Trunks could all be crammed into an Evolution sequel no problems at all totally, i realized that Dragonball Evolution was still a better movie than what a DBZ fan could come up with.

t minus about five minutes until that realization begins to depress me.
Antares

I checked out The Expendables. It was odd, you know, watching a movie where you figure that the horrible patchy-ass writing has to be intentional because is bordered so heavily on awesome. I will not gripe about the movie's plot, such as it was, because it was utterly beside the point, or at least so it definitely seemed. I even considered many of the lame one-liners in the movie as conscious parodies of the snappy comebacks you've seen in movies of this genre.

Who cares if it didn't make sense? Does it make sense for dirt to blow up? No. Doesn't make sense for... well, a lot of things in the movie to happen, no. But it can be positively entertaining. This really looked like a movie with a bunch of buddies getting together to get hammered and remember all the crazy movies (or various quality) they've done through the years. In a tequila-fueled haze they decide to write a new movie that is just like the old ones and star in it to relive that one character they've always been, with the possible exception of Jet Li. They had to be in it for the lolz.
-We will not be caught by surprise!
*Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words.
-Then I am glad once again that you are on my side.
*They've often said that too.
Dark Duel

Fast & the Furious: Tokyo Drift
Never really had much interest in these movies, but a buddy rented it and wanted to watch it, so I stuck around. I won't lie though, the only reason I did was I heard there was a '69 Mustang in the movie (sort of - it's a Mustang body with a Nissan engine).
I was not disappointed, as that last race was awesome.
Movie was okay other'n that, though it joins many others in the ever-lengthening list of things I've seen where my favorite character gets killed off.

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
hotlimit

MrMarch wrote:Got back from a late showing with some friends of Scott Pilgrim vs. The World. This is a movie that defines what "fun" should mean when you go to the theatre.
That's exactly how I felt. I rarely go to the movies, unless dragged kicking and screaming by my friends (and such was the case this time), but if I had to go to one movie this decade, I'm glad it was this one.
MrMarch wrote: While I didn't have the same "religious" experience after watching the film as those of my fellow internet denizens and geeks, I will say Scott Pilgrim vs. The World is one of the best films this year and certainly one of the MOST FUN.
Wait, you mean there were.... others!? I definitely had a freakin' religious experience watching it, I left the theatre in tears. That may have been due to my hangover, a lack of sleep, and my extremely low expectations of the movie, but I don't think I'd ever felt like that before.
MrMarch wrote: A ridiculous and unexpected bonus...the trailer played for M. Night Shayamalan's next film Devil.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure this happened with everyone, but your audience made the best joke hahaah. Everyone was just looking at each other like, "Why is this so bad..." and when M. Night's name came up, there was a collective, "Ooooohhhhh....... *outburst of laughter*"
MrMarch

hotlimit
This year has actually been great for film. There's been a lot to enjoy, which is surprising given the terrible showing for film in the first half of this year. There have been no less than three major movies this year that have blown my mind and expectations; Nolan's "Inception", the Edgar Wright masterpiece "Scott Pilgrim vs. the World" and the Aussie import "Animal Kingdom". To have a year with three such amazing films is a major deal for a film geek like me. So I'd definitely recommend checking out more movies, because this year is pretty damn special...and that's a rarity.

I may be too old to fall head over heels for Scott Pilgrim vs. The World. Being a film geek, I've interacted with and read a lot of buzz from fellow film fans that are going ballistic about the movie and most of them are quite a few years younger than me (I'm in my 30s). While SPVTW definitely speaks to me because I love video games, comics, movies and music, it's clearly a film aimed more at those at least a half-generation behind me. If I were 5 years younger, I bet I'd have felt much like my younger contemporaries who believe they've just lived through a little piece of pop culture heaven made just for them. I love the film and truly had one of the most fun theatre experiences I've ever had (great movie with a great crowd), but its not a new way of life for me :)
Mu La Flaga

Got back from seeing the Expendables a 2nd time(yes you read right)
Still like that movie alot, to me cinema has been lacking in decent violent action movies as of lately.
The plot was never it's strong point, the violence and action were it's better moments, with small character moments and funny inside jokes

It's one of those movies that obviously if one day these actors retire, they can say we did this before we retired.
We made an ultimate team up action movie, loaded with gunfights, knife fights and martial arts fights ect.

Don't think you can ask for much more then that really.
liubei013

Watched Expendables the weekend it came out and yeah, it delivered as a straight up action movie with that bit of nostalgia for the 'ol action films. Even the cameos (GOVERNATOR) were amusing as well.

My little brother loved the AA-12 scene...though he did ask me "Who's Stallone?" O_o
Mu La Flaga

Just watched Iron Man 2 on DVD today which came out just yesterday over here.
So happily watched through it still a great movie to me.
Last edited by Mu La Flaga on Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
TetraVaal

The Prestige.

awful... just awful, much like every other Christopher Nolan film.

It really baffles me how people like the tripe this guy churns out.
Dark Duel

On a completely different note, I saw Captain Corelli's Mandolin over the weekend. Yeah, it's kind of a chick flick, but it's worth it for seeing John Hurt play a character who's actually sane (as opposed to an insane totalitarian dictator or a creepy-borderline-pedo store owner), and Christian Bale is in it(which I didn't know), and he's pretty good(not his best role, but still pretty good).

Also, Nicolas Cage is just plain awesome. Pretty refreshing, considering how unforgivably BAD his last couple of movies have been.

Mu La Flaga

Watched Gamer, that was actually good movie, despite what some reviews reckoned of it.
Dark Duel

Watched The Rock for the fourth or fifth time this weekend. Probably Sean Connery's most awesome role ever, if only because I never would have imagined him saying something like "losers talk about "their best", winners go home and [censored] the prom queen."
And Cage's reply is even more awesome: "Carla WAS the prom queen."

Movie is full of awesome moments like that. Only sad part IMO is when Ed Harris is gunned down.

J-Lead

TetraVaal wrote:The Prestige.

awful... just awful, much like every other Christopher Nolan film.

It really baffles me how people like the tripe this guy churns out.
Not defending him, as I believe that everybody is entitled to their opinion, but I also believe that if your willing to present your opinion on someone or something, especially if that someone or something is well liked, you should really give a few reasons why you dislike that someone or something to put some perspective on it, rather than just blurt out "this guy/movie sucks." Otherwise, the only perspective you present to others is "wow, that guy's either an arse or a really bad troll, I happened to think that guy/movie was okay." Even something as quick and descriptive as "eh, he/it just irked me the wrong way" is sufficient.

That said, I saw Ninja Assassin yesterday. I went in expecting an incredibly shallow film depicting fantasized ninjas, and got an incredibly film depicting fantasized ninjas, so I wasn't disappointed.
"I'd show Loni the power my parents gave me if you know what I mean."
Antares

The Unthinkable - OK, the narrative was very, very American from a European's perspective, but they managed to do quite a lot of it still. A movie after which you can have a debate, if about nothing else than the premise and narration and characterization of pretty much everything in the movie.

Also, re-watched Let The Right One In (Låt den rätte komma in) and I simply keep on loving it.
-We will not be caught by surprise!
*Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words.
-Then I am glad once again that you are on my side.
*They've often said that too.
Shea

Saw Bram Stoker's Dracula (The Gary Oldmen one.)
Phew... There were times when it felt like I was watching Zardoz all over again. Some parts of this movie are damn hard follow and just plain don't make sense. Everything else though is fairly well told. I LOVE Gary Oldmen's performace as Dracula.

Saw Zardoz...
What... What... WHAT!? What in gods name!?

Saw Ponyo.
The animation is gorgeous,(Of course.) and the music is just as beautiful. BUT! Liam Neeson and Noah Cyrus seem to be the only voice actors who give a $H!T.

Saw Van Helsing...
Oh God... This is bad. So bad. Hugh Jackman does okay, but EVERYONE ELSE overacts and just plain tries too hard to the point where it gets awkward, becomes funny, and goes all the way back to awkward. Especially the vampires, who act like they're having an orgasm on every breath.

Saw Scott Pilgrim vs. The World.
Awesome movie. Children of the late 80s/early 90s will LOVE this.
One of the proud, the willing, and the seemingly growing number of... G-Saviour fanboys.
G-Slayer
Location: In the fridge, behind the mayonnaise, next to the ketchup, and to the left of the coleslaw.

My Fuhrer, I can walk!

I watched Dr. Strangelove this week; funny and frightening at the same time.
"That's it! I'll never Gundam the pilot again, Bright!"--Amuro Ray

My YouTube Channel!

My Photobucket Album!

My Gunpla Blog!
MrMarch

Saw Easy A. Emma Stone was great in the lead role, but the movie was really pedestrian. It delivers exactly as advertised without any style or spark. The dialog in particular was too smart for it's own good. At many of the dramatic moments, the script felt far too much like a script and the lines came across as artificial rather than natural. There were many genuinely funny moments that elicited honest laughs, but many of those were in the trailers and too few were left for the rest of the film. You could do worse for a comedy, but there is better out there.
Chris
Administrator

Happily I can say Back to the Future, the 25th anniversary limited re-release. I saw it in theaters when I was a kid, but seeing it again on the big screen was amazing. As many times as I've seen that movie (close to 50), it never gets old and holds up fantastically.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Mu La Flaga

The Incredible Hulk with Edward Norton, going to be watching that later on today.
Should be better off then the earlier Hulk movie by Ang Lee.