Mirage Colloid from C.E.

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Livingweapon

Mirage Colloid from C.E.

Sorry to bring this up, however I wish to ask a question reguarding Mirage Colloid "stealth system" From what I see in the series, its able make a mobile suit disappear. I see that its very effect in space due to lack of gravity (Able to drift and hide well, that type of stuff).

However the Mirage colloid can't cover beam shots, We seen that happen with the Blitz attacking the Artemis base, and Archangel.

My question is Mirage Colloid able to cover a unit while its in the Air, in the atomasphere? (I'm thinking no, because a MS would require a strong amount of thrust to keep it up in the air.)
I salute Sergei, For the actions he took to save Soma Pieris.
azrael

I'm not sure I see the connection between maintaining thrust from engines and battery life.
Sume Gai

Re: Mirage Colloid from C.E.

Livingweapon wrote:My question is Mirage Colloid able to cover a unit while its in the Air, in the atomasphere? (I'm thinking no, because a MS would require a strong amount of thrust to keep it up in the air.)
as I understand mirage colloid can be used pretty much anytime with the same power consumption as PS armor(the effective time period might vary some)

although there are some environments which would be restrictive (as stated in Destiny) the ocean for example
Livingweapon

This is not really what I'm trying to ask. But does it have the ability to cover a suit completely while in the air, Including flames from its thrusters.
I salute Sergei, For the actions he took to save Soma Pieris.
Wingnut

azrael wrote:I'm not sure I see the connection between maintaining thrust from engines and battery life.
Yeah, there's no relation between the two systems and one would not effect the other in that manner. The Blitz would have more trouble staying aloft on its own than maintaining the MC.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
azrael

Livingweapon wrote:This is not really what I'm trying to ask. But does it have the ability to cover a suit completely while in the air, Including flames from its thrusters.
Can Mirage Colloid mask heat signatures?
Yes.
The Mirage Colloid even blocks infra-red emissions, giving the Blitz perfect stealth capabilities.
http://www.gundamofficial.com/worlds/ce ... agecolloid
Kira-Yashima

It has stealth thrusters and it can activate the mirage colloid in the atmosphere as seen right before it is destroyed by the strike.
"Kira Yamato, Freedom lets do it"
Janx_Dolaris

The Blitz isnt capable of flight without assitance any way, though the Gold Frame was able to fly while using the stealth system i believe.

There'd likely be more light distortion in atmosphere due to more things to bend around it, though this isnt demonstrated in the Anime if i remember correctly.
Kira-Yashima

I agree with Janx_Dolaris on this one but about the Gold Frame it might have an improved mirage colloid system that would negate the distortion problem.[/quote]
"Kira Yamato, Freedom lets do it"
Janx_Dolaris

The stealth system was adapted from the Blitz's arm, and attached to an MS that was not originally designed for stealth capabilities. I find it unlikely it would be an upgraded system in terms of performance, but hey, its Astray.
Arsarcana

Re: Mirage Colloid from C.E.

Livingweapon wrote:However the Mirage colloid can't cover beam shots, We seen that happen with the Blitz attacking the Artemis base, and Archangel.
This would be because the system is built into the frame of the MS. You can't coat an energy beam in the particles.
supperrfreek

as long as the colloid could change at the rate the suit was falling it could probably keep the suit invisible, the same with the suit moving in any direction.
I liked the mirage colloid, it made perfect sense for a long range weapon armed suit like the blitz, I don't see why they didn't put it on the blitz, but it would have made a very competitive suit.
Albireo_818

Blitz had MC, i think you mean the Buster.

Anyway, in C.E., each suit has it's own "flavour". The Strike is Vanilla, the Aegis is strawberry, the Duel is Rainbow, the Buster is Caramel, and the Blitz is Chocolate.

In other words, crossing specialities is a no-no for C.E., (except in the case of the Main Character's suit, and this has been going on in Children's anime for years.)
Call me Albireo or Al, without the _818
"A Clever person solves the problem. The wise person avoids it!"-Albert Einstein
auriga

If supperrfreek was talking about applying MC on the Buster, tactically I don't think it's a very good idea. Shooting while invisible only gives away your position; the Blitz had that problem, moreso the Buster.
RedBlitz

auriga wrote:If supperrfreek was talking about applying MC on the Buster, tactically I don't think it's a very good idea. Shooting while invisible only gives away your position; the Blitz had that problem, moreso the Buster.
Yeah but your main target also happens to be dead, so who cares if they saw you in the end!?! The blitz destroyed a giant space fortress because he was able to sneek in while being invisible, so it's a good strat.
"We will change in order to create the future!!" - Setsuna F Seiei
Wingnut

RedBlitz wrote:
auriga wrote:If supperrfreek was talking about applying MC on the Buster, tactically I don't think it's a very good idea. Shooting while invisible only gives away your position; the Blitz had that problem, moreso the Buster.
Yeah but your main target also happens to be dead, so who cares if they saw you in the end!?! The blitz destroyed a giant space fortress because he was able to sneek in while being invisible, so it's a good strat.
That was only to get in close past the defenses. Once Nicol started shooting, the MC would do very little to hide his position so it was turned off in favor of the PS armor.

Also IMO, MC or no, you could still be spotted simply by using your thrusters. An enemy can still pick up your rocket trail even if they can't see the unit itself. That would mean limiting yourself to very short and small bursts from the thrusters, which isn't really a good idea as you can't get out of the way of return fire fast enough. Also your "main target" would almost never be alone, and if it were, would no doubt be powerful enough to take the first attack and keep fighting, or dodge it altogether.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
supperrfreek

yeah, but a primarily ranged unit could use the system to set himself up with a good shooting position which is a great start to a winning fight on the tactical end.
Aegis

Problem is, once the Buster starts firing, it either adds little to its advantage with the element of surprise quickly gone the moment it fires, or at the worst, a dead duck once its location is discovered. Unlike the Blitz, it doesn't exactly have speed and close combat proficiency on its side, and its weapons aren't exactly built to annihilate multiple targets at once a la Strike Freedom as opposed to simply being there for the sake of heavy fire support or the like. With or without MC, Buster just can't do a whole lot without someone out there to cover it.
auriga

yeah, but a primarily ranged unit could use the system to set himself up with a good shooting position which is a great start to a winning fight on the tactical end.
"A good shooting position," especially for the Buster, is usually out of the enemy's usual range. And Aegis is right, it's not like the Buster was meant to work alone - we have the Alliance's GAT-X plans as proof of that.

And finally, Buster = long range, Blitz = close-to-medium range. That alone should dictate who can use Mirage Colloid better.

I think we should drop this. This is slowly turning into a MC'ed Buster thread, not a general MC thread.
Kuruni

In Destiny Astray, 8 can detect the use of MC before Gold Frame approaching.
My girlfriend was a loli.