A VERY curious question

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
fullupneon

A VERY curious question

But, what are the specific differences in the controls in the Coordinator OS and the Universal Century OS?
Glory to the Brodie Empire!

Jun Jion!
mcred23

I don't think the specific differences in the controls between a Coordinator OS and a Natural OS have ever been listed outright (Aside from the fact that Naturals really can't use an OS that has been set up for them), never mind one from a different universe like UC...
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
DougCos

I dont even understand how someone can make an OS that a coordiantor can use but a natural can not. We all still have 2 arms with ten fingers. The only thing that made sense was when Kira rewrote the OS for earth, yeah then the limits of a natural shows but how a natural cant use an coordinator OS is weird.
fullupneon

I don't mean to answer my own question, but I always thought that the difference between a natural OS and a Coordinator OS was that a Coordinator OS requires the pilot to both move the mobile suit's limbs, balance the mobile suit, and control the throttle all consecutively. While with a natural OS I guess that its similar to how one would pilot a GM or Nemo in the UC because both the Nemo's OS and the Natural OS are said to be incredibely simple to operate. Now with the Natural OS I have always had the understanding that it applies to all mobile suits piloted by naturals, that is, Gundams and grunts alike. While with the UC, it has always seemed that GMs are alot easier to pilot than a Gundam, so maybe the UC Gundam's OS is like a "middle ground" OS. So, basically that is my theory, and I would like to see if you agree or not.
Glory to the Brodie Empire!

Jun Jion!
mcred23

While with a natural OS I guess that its similar to how one would pilot a GM or Nemo in the UC because both the Nemo's OS and the Natural OS are said to be incredibely simple to operate.

cut

While with the UC, it has always seemed that GMs are alot easier to pilot than a Gundam, so maybe the UC Gundam's OS is like a "middle ground" OS. So, basically that is my theory, and I would like to see if you agree or not.
UC MS really don't seem to have any drastic differences in OS like you see and hear about in a setting like the Cosmic Era. While the controls and things may have various changes and differences, all MS in UC seem to have pretty much the same operating system, to that point that it never really comes up and is basically a non-factor. Of course, CE is a totally different case, where the original Coordinator OS' simply can't be handled by a Natural (Your idea sounds close to what may be the case, although I'm not sure if there is any official stance on the matter).
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
quasadra

my impression is that its like a plane that have fly-by wire or not. or like your are driving a car with auto or manual gear. coordinator OS are manual gear and natural OS are auto gear. (surely i dont need to explain what these are, right?)
SD Gundam Capsule Fighter Online SEA IGN: 8bitNPC
Gadget

quasadra wrote:my impression is that its like a plane that have fly-by wire or not. or like your are driving a car with auto or manual gear. coordinator OS are manual gear and natural OS are auto gear. (surely i dont need to explain what these are, right?)
How about DOS vs Windows :?:

Anyway, I make the same assumption. It's not that neutral cannot operate MS. It's just that it takes a lot of skill and practice to make it walk a few steps. The human body balance by a constant feedback to the balancing organs. So Kira may just add some of the balancing feedback.

BTY ver 1.0 of Strike OS still cannot be operate by naturals. The first naturals OS was written for the Astrays.
Phoenix012

It was my impression that the OS used by naturals wasn't all that different from OS used by ZAFT mobile suits. The difference was in the time it took to develop.

The Strike' OS was impossible for a natural to understand because it's something Kira threw together in a few seconds so he could get the thing to move properly. He continued streamlining the system over the course of the show, and while it was still pretty ridiculous, it had more to do with Kira being Kira than him being a coordinator.

Now I could be entirely wrong, but the impression I get from watching all 3 SEED series is that coordinators and naturals aren't that different in terms of piloting skill, it was more that some coordinators liked to think so and some naturals fearfully thought so. Mu La Flaga could go head to head with almost any coordinator when in a decent suit (ie the Strike in SEED, the Akatsuki in Destiny).

If that's true then the OS for coordinators and naturals isn't actually that different. They were definitely designed differently, but ultimately their performance was roughly the same.

That's my take anyways.
valkyriepilot

quasadra wrote:my impression is that its like a plane that have fly-by wire or not. or like your are driving a car with auto or manual gear. coordinator OS are manual gear and natural OS are auto gear. (surely i dont need to explain what these are, right?)
I have to agree with this from the point of view of the comparison between Naturals' and Coordinators' skills. As was shown many times in the series, Coordinators are just better at most things than Naturals - reflexes, thought process (by this I mean the speed at which they process info, not intelligence, since a lot of Naturals are quite the geniuses too, they just can't think fast enough).

My take on this is that the Natural-use OS has a lot of preprogrammed functions (fire the beam rifle, run, walk, booster jump, etc) which are available to a Natural pilot. However, a Coordinator-use OS probably has almost all MS functions exposed to the pilot (open manipulators, swing arm which direction, walk/run at a specified speed, roll MS on ground to avoid enemy attacks, individual fire control for MS mounted weapons, etc.) that allow the MS to function on a near-humanoid level performance, especially melee combat.
Vate

Phoenix012 wrote:Now I could be entirely wrong, but the impression I get from watching all 3 SEED series is that coordinators and naturals aren't that different in terms of piloting skill, it was more that some coordinators liked to think so and some naturals fearfully thought so. Mu La Flaga could go head to head with almost any coordinator when in a decent suit (ie the Strike in SEED, the Akatsuki in Destiny).

If that's true then the OS for coordinators and naturals isn't actually that different. They were definitely designed differently, but ultimately their performance was roughly the same.

That's my take anyways.
3 series? Anyways, I thought Mu La Flaga was from a special family, that's why there's been so many clones from them and they often become top-notch bad guys. (Even Flaga himself for a time...)
Antares

I thought the whole OS question pretty much was settled by the end of GS. Before that it was simply a question of not having a Natural OS because Coordinators held the shortlived monopoly on MS. Coordinators have faster reflexes and better adapatability (presumably), so they could manage with a "rougher" OS, whereas Naturals needed a more finished version that would, again presumably, handle more of the suits functions and complement the pilot's skills. I never thought that it would be "getting more" out of your MS, but getting them to operate practically on the same level. The hacking finesse is for the aces.

When the Natural OS was finished, I thought there was very little in the way of a gap in piloting skills between Natural and Coordinator (when talking about grunts) in GSD.

Vate: There are 3 CE series, since Stargazer counts too.
-We will not be caught by surprise!
*Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words.
-Then I am glad once again that you are on my side.
*They've often said that too.
sushicake

I would say that the UC OS would be more sophisticated since they go from a tiny 3 screen cockpit with controls and meters everywhere (Gundam) to a ball shaped cockpit with a 360 degree screen and with all the controls in seat and barely any meters (Z, CCA etc.)

While the Co-Ordinator OS would be I guess somewhat a little more advanced that the original gundams but not as advanced as 0080 and onward.
you know what makes special sauce so special?
Dendrobium Stamen

sushicake wrote:While the Co-Ordinator OS would be I guess somewhat a little more advanced that the original gundams but not as advanced as 0080 and onward.
Very doubtful. As has been noted, Coordinator MS seem to have virtually no function automation, since they're designed for pilots who can maintain the machine's balance on the fly, literally. Even the MS-05A Zaku I had a more advanced OS than the GINN, purely on the basis that the original Zaku OS would no doubt automate as many of the mobile suit's non-essential functions as possible to reduce pilot load. The Natural OS, however, is more comparable to its UC counterparts, as it reduces the pilot's job to direct movement and combat functions using pre-programmed macros, rather than manually executing all the necessary operations.
"Trust me, I know what I'm doing." - Sledge Hammer.
A Wind Raging Through, a Destiny sidestory.