A.S.(Anti-ship) weapons against P.S.(Phase Shift)

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Livingweapon

A.S.(Anti-ship) weapons against P.S.(Phase Shift)

Sorry to ask this but I was wondering on the C.E. Technology like the Phase Shift armor and the other two types of armor like the Trans-Phase armor(TP) and the Variable Phase Shift (VPS).

I was thinking would it be possible for An Anti ship weapon like a blade or gun to pentrate against the armor. Anywhere on the body, like an A.S.S.(Anti-ship Sword or Blade) Cutting through an arm or body, without the help with a beam saber on the blade.

How would it fare against the armor if the armor isn't damaged at all?
I salute Sergei, For the actions he took to save Soma Pieris.
RedBlitz

Without any kind of beam coating on it... I dont think it would be able to cut through the armor. Unless the suit using the weapon in question was traveling at a very high velocity and aiming for an arm or something

Other then that it would probaly be more like hitting something with a blunt object, it might break some parts, but it wouldnt really slice through.
"We will change in order to create the future!!" - Setsuna F Seiei
jamnewman0056

It depends on the intensity of the anti-ship blade if the Phase shift or the transphase shift is if the intensity of the blade is equal or greater then the mobile suit or ship is usually toast. I would think even a Gundam would definetly be damaged by it since it's an anti-ship sword.
Viti Vide Vichi
Dendrobium Stamen

Well, any kind of anti-shipping beam gun would do the job against Phase-Shift, the only exception being the uber-powered PS Armour used by GENESIS during the Second Battle of Jachin Due. A projectile anti-ship gun would do the trick too for that matter, if it got enough direct hits in; as Andy accurately determined, Phase-Shift can be run down if it's hit enough times.

As for the weapon you're probably most referring to, the anti-ship swords wielded by Sword Strike, Sword Calamity, and Sword Impulse, the only evidence we have (to my knowledge) comes from Destiny Phase-34, in which Impulse's anti-ship sword successfully skewered Freedom. So, it would seem a physical blade with sufficient force behind it can breach Phase-Shift.

Variable Phase-Shift would be subject to the same rules as the regular kind, as the only difference between PS and VPS seems to be that VPS can adjust its voltage mid-battle, as seen on Impulse. Trans-Phase would follow largely the same rules, but would take longer to breach with a projectile gun, as its point-of-impact activation system drains far less battery than always-on regular PS Armour. TP would probably still be subject to the same rules as the others as far as swords go, though.

Hope that helps!
"Trust me, I know what I'm doing." - Sledge Hammer.
A Wind Raging Through, a Destiny sidestory.
Areku

Well, we know that PSA literally changes its physical state (solid,liquid etc) to negate/reduce damage, although I'm not aware of a more.... convincing explanation than that. TSA is the same thing, but much more energy-efficient because it only operates at the time of impact rather that continuously running. VPSA is likely the same as TSA, except it also operates as the most expensive paint in Gundam history prior to Trans-Am.

Because we (I, at least) don't know the exact ways in which PS technology works, it's pretty difficult to answer your other question. I'm not sure how much of the CE universe you've seen, but I can tell you that at one point, the writers decide that a sword like the Strike's A.S.S. (awesome acronym) can pierce PS armor. Whether or not this fits with what we know about the technology, I'm not sure. I would expect any weapon sufficiently powerful or forceful could penetrate the armor, but I just don't know for sure.

Edit: Ninja'd
Livingweapon

Ok thanks. I kind of was thinking it could under some circumstances. So with a certain amount of force it could cut through the armor, but with only enough force.

Thanks. And sorry for another question coming up.

Would it matter on the size of the A.S.S.? Like instead of having a massive blade that takes up two hands to swing or hold, would it be possible for a small sized blade like either the "Gerbera Straight" Katana the Red frame uses. (Not really sure on how big it is.) Or a smaller one, close to being a MS knife.
I salute Sergei, For the actions he took to save Soma Pieris.
Dendrobium Stamen

When it comes to blade size, especially when attempting to penetrate an armour system like Phase-Shift or its derivatives, I'd imagine it becomes a real question of physics. Obviously the mass of the blade does matter, as does its construction - from my understanding of katana design, I can't imagine one holding up too well when attempting to stab through a much tougher armour material. Similarly, a knife would lack the mass behind it to really punch through, which leads to the next point...

...That the amount of kinetic energy the MS can impart to its blade also counts. A big blade with very little force behind it, making it less likely to penetrate. A smaller blade could be thrusted with more force, but with its lower mass would have to be a particularly tough blade. So the designers who came up with the "Schwert Gehwer" and "Excalibur" anti-ship swords most likely designed them to strike a balance between mass and the amount of force that could be imparted to them in the swing or stab, thus giving us the anti-ship swords we see in the series.
"Trust me, I know what I'm doing." - Sledge Hammer.
A Wind Raging Through, a Destiny sidestory.
Areku

Livingweapon wrote:Would it matter on the size of the A.S.S.? Like instead of having a massive blade that takes up two hands to swing or hold, would it be possible for a small sized blade like either the "Gerbera Straight" Katana the Red frame uses. (Not really sure on how big it is.) Or a smaller one, close to being a MS knife.
Because the PS armor dissipates energies amongst itself (the most likely explanation of the usefulness of phase-shifting), I would expect that the size of the weapon doesn't matter as much as the power/momentum behind it. For instance, we could normally expect a flathead screwdriver to do more penetrating damage than a phillips head because it focuses the energy into a much smaller area. But because PS greatly disperses energy, because the phillips head has more mass (power) to it, it would fare better against PS armor. In short, I'd expect bigger and more powerful = more damage to PS armor.
Zeonic Glory

That would have to take loads of velocity for something small like a knife. When you have less mass, you'll need more velocity to compensate in force.

EDIT: Ninjas....
Warning: When using Minovsky Particles, please do not drive or operate heavy machinery. If you have a Newtype Flash lasting longer than 6 hours, please call 911 as this may be a sign of a serious and life threatening side-effect. Ask your doctor if taking Minovsky Particles are right for you.
HalfDemonInuyasha

Yep, and we've seen an example with a knife when Kira used one to nearly skewer into Yzak's cockpit (which made ZAFT develop the Assault Shroud). A combination of Kira thrusting and Yzak charging in formed enough force for the knife to penetrate.
"I'll show you that a superior mobile suit has its limits when it goes up against a superior pilot!" - Char Aznable, The Red Comet
AC Dreadnought

I think Kira had already breached the side of the Duel with his beam saber when he used the knife. I cant remember properly as it has been a while since i last saw SeeD but i think im right.
azrael

AC Dreadnought wrote:I think Kira had already breached the side of the Duel with his beam saber when he used the knife. I cant remember properly as it has been a while since i last saw SeeD but i think im right.
IIRC, Kira did stab Duel's wound that he made earlier with the beam saber. But the principal would still apply if Yzak was still charging at full speed and Kira thrusted the knife.
Dark Duel

That is correct. The Duel's cockpit/PS armor had been breached by a slash from the Aile Strike's beam saber.
What Kira did was stab the knife into the resulting gap.
And with enough velocity, a weapon as massive as the CE's A.S.S. can indeed breach P.S. Armor. It's been done before, as a matter of fact.

[ARRESTED BY THE PHYSICS POLICE]
Last edited by Dark Duel on Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
SNT1

Whoa now, Physics Police here.

Force has never been F = mv^2. (F = ma ; a =/= v^2)

Formulae that might apply are pressure (P = force/area; so much force behind the ASS thrust with the tip having a very small area, results in large Pressure), and Kinetic Energy (KE=(mv^2)/2, high velocity at the time of impact with 80 kilotons maximum behind it makes for high energy).
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/
SniperBlade

I think A Anti ship weapon could penetrate P.S Armour. Anyhting wil lbreak if you hit it hard enough.

P.S can stop all Physcial attacks up to a point then it will sucome.
exxecutor000

Now it makes sense to me why bullets cannot penetrate PS armor, but A.S.Sword can:

Bullets, solid blade, solid projectiles
1. fast but low mass,
2. High energy, but PS armor can dissipate that efficiently.

thus an A.S.Sword with sufficient speed/force can penetrate, because:

1. fast but HIGH mass,
2. Energy might be lower compared to bullets, but higher mass contribute to provide enough force to penetrate.

I think that's why the Mjolnir hammer of Raider Gundam can damage PS armor, as it is dense=high mass. With sufficient swing/speed, that said hammer can be effective.

Nero Blitz's big graplers (those big 'hands' on the backpack) able to smash PS armor, as it can provide big mass, thus sufficient force.
exxecutor000... zero zero zero
SNT1

2. Energy might be lower compared to bullets, but higher mass contribute to provide enough force to penetrate.
Keyword is Energy here, when we talk about mass and speed...

Explosives aside, a giant sword like the ASS will have more energy than the bullets, because in the gundam universes, the speed difference of a sword swing, bullet shot or a beam shot is shoddy at best, but the mass difference is obvious. Energy will be higher with an ASSword.

Kinetic Energy = (mass * Velocity^2)/2

Plus, bullets from something like a machine gun is damage over time, so that might work in favor of the PS Armor because the reactor/battery can replenish the energy lost by the PS, while an ASSword swing that connected is a huge chunk of energy/damage in one instant.
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/
exxecutor000

SNT1 wrote:Plus, bullets from something like a machine gun is damage over time, so that might work in favor of the PS Armor because the reactor/battery can replenish the energy lost by the PS, while an ASSword swing that connected is a huge chunk of energy/damage in one instant.
Agree with you :D .
exxecutor000... zero zero zero