Did Armuro every use the 'beam pommel' on the Nu Gundam?

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Gadget

Did Armuro every use the 'beam pommel' on the Nu Gundam?

Looking at my Nu model, I kinda realise that what the heck is the beam pommel for? And I cannot recall if Armuro ever activat the other end of the beam saber. On the other hand, it was quite some time since I've watch CCA.

So is this another MG gimmick? I cannot recall another MS with such a beam saber configeration. And I cannot think of any sword technique that uses another blade on the hilt. Well, the closest I could think of the the V-42 stiletto. It has a 'skull crushing' pommel.
Dendrobium Stamen

It's something that's always been part of the design, but I don't believe it was ever used in-animation, which is something of a shame. Still, it's a nifty gimmick for that beam sabre, means that if someone tries to sneak up on Amuro he's not defenceless!
"Trust me, I know what I'm doing." - Sledge Hammer.
A Wind Raging Through, a Destiny sidestory.
CYNICISM AT IT'S BEST

well he wouldn't be anyway but yeah it is a nifty gimmick for the design.
Toxicity

I don't think Amuro ever got the chance to use it. The better part of the final battle of CCA, he was using mostly his (or salvaged) ranged weapons. The only thing he really did with his sabers was destroy one of the Sazabi's sabers and left arm, shortly after which, he got the saber kicked out of his hand and the remainder of his duel with Char was hand to hand.
Metal Legend
Location: Going all Reservoir Dogs on Kira in a warehouse in London

The main character in the live-action zombie film 'Versus' uses a pommel bladed katana to off a few baddies lol
Sometimes the appropriate response to reality is to go insane - Philip k. Dick
Wingnut

Metal Legend wrote:The main character in the live-action zombie film 'Versus' uses a pommel bladed katana to off a few baddies lol
And what does that have to do with the question at hand?
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Metal Legend

So is this another MG gimmick? I cannot recall another MS with such a beam saber configeration. And I cannot think of any sword technique that uses another blade on the hilt. Well, the closest I could think of the the V-42 stiletto. It has a 'skull crushing' pommel.
Though not mecha related it thought it might be of interest !!! :roll:
Recon 5

Its logical for mechs to be equipped with more weapons/ equipment than they would normally use because it provides them with backups for when everything else fails. However, if a Gundam series were to purposely animate every piece of gear on all MS it would look like a toy commercial. Remember the Strike Freedom? I'm sure we all do.
Yay for functional signatures!

THE OFFICIAL SAJI FANCLUB. PLEASE POST YOUR SAJI SPECULATIONS HERE
Gadget

Hahaha. We ALL do. But it seems strange that the 'beam pommel' is not listed in the stats.

Did the mechinal designer came up with all these nifty ideas, but the director may decided not to use a specific weapon?
Jak Crow

Hasn't this sword design shown up on other units, at least with the models or line art?
MrMarch

Amuro never got a chance to the beam pommel in CCA. I just watched it for another thread and I never saw it used. It's not unusual that a mecha might not use every single weapon with which it is armed. In Gundam 0080 the Alex never uses it's beam rifle (though I'll grant in that case the gun was never shown at all). Actually, it's not unusual in many anime's for weapons to go unused. I guess the animators simply can't create an opportunity in every anime for every weapon to be shown in use. All throughout Macross Plus and Macross 7, not once is the VF-11 shown using it's head mounted laser cannon :)
Mark064

From what I remember the reason we don't see the Alex shield or beam rifle in the anime is that they were designed after for the Gundam Alex model.
azrael

Gadget wrote:But it seems strange that the 'beam pommel' is not listed in the stats.
That's because it is part of the beam saber. It is a beam saber first, with the pommel as more of a add-on or side note.
Did the mechinal designer came up with all these nifty ideas, but the director may decided not to use a specific weapon?
Yep.
Lans

MrMarch wrote:Amuro never got a chance to the beam pommel in CCA. I just watched it for another thread and I never saw it used. It's not unusual that a mecha might not use every single weapon with which it is armed. In Gundam 0080 the Alex never uses it's beam rifle (though I'll grant in that case the gun was never shown at all). Actually, it's not unusual in many anime's for weapons to go unused. I guess the animators simply can't create an opportunity in every anime for every weapon to be shown in use. All throughout Macross Plus and Macross 7, not once is the VF-11 shown using it's head mounted laser cannon :)
Gato also never got a chance to use GP02 rifle (either he never bothered to steal it or he forgot to do so), and Kou never got the chance to use the specialized SMG for GP01, he use the standard 90mm Feddie. We know both weapons are dedicated to them, IIRC both are included in the model kit. Just like Amuro in CCA, they never got their hand on it because of circumstances and stuffs. Even in 08'th MS Team, they bring a lot of weapons in their RX-79G backpacks and only some ever use all of them.

Even the cannon fodder mecha like GM series got their standard 60mm vulcan but some get slain without ever got the chance to fire them, so yeah... it's highly not unusual. I think in CCA it's all happened because the movie length itself it's pretty short compared to the story they should manage to show and lot's of new MS, their weapons included.
Bright Noa

lans* wrote:Gato also never got a chance to use GP02 rifle (either he never bothered to steal it or he forgot to do so)
Another loophole that SRW fills up (either with a beam rifle or a regular bazooka, depending on the game).

Also, sometimes a mech might also never use a configuration, even though the design is there for it. Take Strike Freedom, for example. IIRC, Kira never did sortie with the beam rifles in place of the railguns, as this lineart image shows.

Then there is Gunbuster. There were several weapons that never made it into the OVA, but games like SRW add them in (e.g., the Buster Homerun and the Buster Tomahawk).
ShadowCell wrote:"Can you escape the Hambrabi...AND THE GREAT CORNHOLIO?!"
Wingnut

Bright Noa wrote:Also, sometimes a mech might also never use a configuration, even though the design is there for it. Take Strike Freedom, for example. IIRC, Kira never did sortie with the beam rifles in place of the railguns, as this lineart image shows.
Actually, that isn't an alternate configuration. It had me confused at first, but after looking over the battle scenes when the SF makes its first showing Earthside you can see that when the beam rifles are on the hips, the beam saber mount/railguns slide back around to the rear waist area (though I'm not sure how exactly).
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
azrael

Wingnut wrote:]Actually, that isn't an alternate configuration. It had me confused at first, but after looking over the battle scenes when the SF makes its first showing Earthside you can see that when the beam rifles are on the hips, the beam saber mount/railguns slide back around to the rear waist area (though I'm not sure how exactly).
The railguns/beam saber racks are on a swivel joint. This clearly demonstrated on the MG kit.
MrMarch

lans* wrote:Gato also never got a chance to use GP02 rifle (either he never bothered to steal it or he forgot to do so).
I don't think I've ever seen the GP02A rifle. I'd love to see a picture; the Physalis is one of my favorite Gundams.
Lans

Bright Noa wrote:
lans* wrote:Gato also never got a chance to use GP02 rifle (either he never bothered to steal it or he forgot to do so)
Another loophole that SRW fills up (either with a beam rifle or a regular bazooka, depending on the game).
I never know about the bazooka. I played G-Generation Zero only, and it's a beam rifle to me.

@MrMarch: Sorry, couldn't find a picture of this rifle. IIRC, the rifle itself don't showed up on the entire series at all. The first time I found it in the game, G-Generation Zero. The rifle is nowhere near the standard beam rifle, it's looks cooler - but the damage is not that high so meh... I don't have the copy of the game right now, so I couldn't provide a screen shoot. I tried to google it, but ended in vain. :shock:
Metal Legend

I never know about the bazooka. I played G-Generation Zero only, and it's a beam rifle to me.

@MrMarch: Sorry, couldn't find a picture of this rifle. IIRC, the rifle itself don't showed up on the entire series at all. The first time I found it in the game, G-Generation Zero. The rifle is nowhere near the standard beam rifle, it's looks cooler - but the damage is not that high so meh... I don't have the copy of the game right now, so I couldn't provide a screen shoot. I tried to google it, but ended in vain. Shocked
Being from a game it can't be seen as cannon : ) the GPO2 has no optional beam gun within official UC.
Even the cannon fodder mecha like GM series got their standard 60mm vulcan but some get slain without ever got the chance to fire them
Thats because they had better tactics then spraying Zeon with peashooters lol hummm beam spary gun..one hit kill or 60mm vulcan....minor damage. Its not about showing off all its weapons but using them with tact.

Its not SEED : ) ....thank god